is this an injury? Advice please

Options
I've been running regularly for about 3 months.

I went out yesterday and ran against the wind on a VERY windy day, did 3 miles and had to work harder than I usually do taking bigger strides and pushing my muscles hard.

Woke up today with a sore foot/ankle and sensitivity on the skin when I touch it down the left side. All in all it kinda feel a bit like mild cramp when I move my toes and ankles about. It's not MEGA painful but I just wondered if any runners out there can tell me whether this sounds like an injury or just sore muscles etc from working a bit harder and running in a different way.

I really want to go out again today and have a 6 miler planned but not sure whether I should rest or just go for it.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Replies

• Nicola0000
    Nicola0000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    If the skin was bare, you may have got a "wind burn", which is making the skin sensitive. Ive had it before on my ears, and they felt like they were going to fall off!!

Maybe rest, and try again tomorrow.
  • smithda86
    Options
    probably a tendon strain, or if hurts on the body part of ur shin then could be 'shin splints'. rest for a few days and use paracetamol/acetominophen if u feel u need it, should be right to resume exercise as u feel comfortable.
  • lizzy00125
    Options
    I think I may have the same problem as you and am trying to figure out how to fix it. About a month or so ago I woke up with pain in my foot. It cramps up by the arch/heel area. It feels worse after long periods of not moving around (especially when I wake up). This is the only thing that I found that seems to match my symptoms, Plantar fasciitis. Not sure if this is what you are feeling too, but if it is worth googling.
  • toonzy
    toonzy Posts: 28
    Options
    Thanks guys!! I just decided to take it easy on the foot and did a weights workout instead (:
    I will rest a couple of days and see how it goes.

Thankyou!
  • erin_zuk
    erin_zuk Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    it *sort of* sounds like Plantar fasciitis. I had this injury after 6 week long backpacking trip in Europe where I was walking around 10-15km per day and my feet were not used to it. I had pain all along the top of my foot and ankle.

read this, may apply to you? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plantar_fasciitis
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    ...did 3 miles and had to work harder than I usually do taking bigger strides and pushing my muscles hard.

I am by no means an expert, but from what I have read, longer strides are not necessarily better. If you're taking longer strides, you may be landing further back on your foot (rather than mid foot), which might be causing the problem. Repeatedly landing with a heel strikes may make you more prone to various types of running injuries.