Sugar/Sweet Cravings

Options
I have overindulged way to much on chocolate and sweets over the last two weeks amd really need to stop it. The problem is that the cravings for sweet things is really strong at the minute. How can I stop this and get back on track.

Replies

• bringit30
    bringit30 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Me too - I think it has something to do with ALL the sweets I have eaten over the last week. I bought a fresh pineapple and have been eating that. It has really helped with the need for sweets, for me at least. That was my breakfast this morning! The rest of it is a mind game where I need to convince myself that I DO NOT NEED anymore peanut butter balls :)
  • Maggieq87
    Maggieq87 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Honestly the best thing you can do is just completely stop, cold turkey. I had the biggest sweet tooth on the planet, honest. I just stopped eating sweets. If you can commit to two weeks no sweets, the cravings just go away. I still have sweets now and again but i no longer have the intense cravings. :)
  • rubyosburn
    rubyosburn Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I have always had the most terrible sweet tooth which sucks big time. I have found that sweet and spicy tea stops the cravings, so does cinnamon. Good luck with the sugar monsters.:smile:
  • stayxtrue
    stayxtrue Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    Sugar is an addiction, your Body now craves it due to the large sugar input. The answer cut it all out keep your sugar down to 15grams or lower, add it to your diary so you can keep an eye on it.

You may get headaches and a few other side effects but this will pass away after a week or 2. Watch the fat melt away once you stop the sugar intake. I very rarely have sugar these days and feel so much better for it.

Good luck
  • sandy2006
    sandy2006 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I ate sugar everyday the week of christmas. Yesterday I completely stopped and ate all protein and veggies only. Drank lots of water and I feel much better today. It was hard yesterday but if you can get just one day down w/o sugar the days after that get much easier. tell yourself one day at a time,,
  • KLDunford
    Options
    I usually just get low calorie chocolate or as I asked for stocking stuffers, low calorie candy in general, so portioning my sweets out is easy & usually plan ahead what day I will eat some candy or chocolate after lunch or after dinner for dessert, so I do work it off ahead or throughout the day or during my workout.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    You need to find healthy sweet treats!

Fruit is a good start!

My guilty pleasure is Fig Newtons Thins.
  • jameslucy
    jameslucy Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Ok my plan is to try and go cold turkey then. I have added sugar into my diary settings as suggested. I dont think I will be able to keep to under 15 grams as advises by stayxtrue as I had berries and apple for berakfast and it already took me way over the 15g. Infact I have planned my menu for the whole day and I am over my daily allowance by7g and that was with fruit only.
  • Angel87a
    Angel87a Posts: 113
    Options
    I agree fruit or usually I have a dove dark chocolate promises (1-3) pieces & the craving usually goes away.
  • jumperchick
    Options
    i eat wayyyyy too many sweets ! i actually already had a cookie today =[
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    3 suggestions- works for me and I've GOT to do the same.......

STOP feeding the *sugar beast* right now.......STARVE it.......NO sugar, including natural (like fruits)

and DROWN it..........DOUBLE/TRIPLE (if necessary) WATER INTAKE..........flush it out of your system

And EXERCISE it to death........so it's too tired to rear its ugly little head this week...........

for the next several days.......
    then get back on track with BETTER food choices
  • kmshred
    kmshred Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    PB2 - powdered peanut butter helps me.
  • 1WorkoutAtATime
    Options
    I totally understand, sweets are tough to sahke once I endulge, because I just can't eat one peice or serving that's why I just steer clear of them. I couldn't even be trusted with of the fiber one 90 cal brownies..lol
  • jameslucy
    jameslucy Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    So just to clarify then. I should totally cut out the fruit as well for a while to letting the cravings pass.
  • mtbke5
    mtbke5 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same issue! We have a ton of stuff in the house and I don't want it. But when i get my husbands lunch ready and get something for him, I always end up grabbing one or two or three things myself. They don't taste good but I still eat them!
  • 2011_4mygirls
    2011_4mygirls Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I like the 100 calorie packs of sweets ----but just limit yourself to one pouch per day!!! Also, sugar free pudding it a great escape too - or sugar free fudge pops. Also, the sugar free candy is a good escape too.

However, you still must be careful, b/c our bodies will crave these things as well!
  • 1WorkoutAtATime
    Options
    So just to clarify then. I should totally cut out the fruit as well for a while to letting the cravings pass.

I did and it helped me...
  • stayxtrue
    stayxtrue Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options

Fruit is full of sugar, so you want to find fruit which is low in sugar. So do a bit of research.. And eat more vegetables instead of fruit. You dont need to totally eliminate it. As this is a different sugar.

I would highly recommend giving up the aritificial sugar intake completely! Pronto! Its going to be hard, but as it has been said up the water intake, it will help you to flush it out :D

Check out my diary I drink a lot of water, You dont have to drink as much as do however
  • sandy2006
    sandy2006 Posts: 483 Member
    Options

I did and it helped me...
    I do cut out the fruit for a while too. I am so sensitive to any sugar an apple will cause me to crave more sugar. Get it under control first then add your fruits back in. works for me.
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Well, I used to have that problem but lots of water definitely helps, instead of artificial flavors I just slice a citrus fruit into my water bottle add ice and water, yay, doesn't taste like plain water, and it goes everywhere I go. It did take a while to get the craving to quit but the water seems to combat whatever it is that causes the craving.