Cheap healthy groceries?

Options
13»

Replies

• firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Your most expensive way to buy food is to buy nutritionally deficient packaged foods that do not meet your body's needs.

So true.
  • babbassi
    babbassi Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Something that is really easy to make, and not really costly is Hummus. The ingredients are chickpeas, garlic, parsley (optional), olive oil, lemon juice and tahini (sesame) paste.

The only odd thing is the tahini, but once you buy that you just have it in your cabinet for months (I think I just threw a jar out that was from my new years party of 2011).

Boil the chickpeas with a clove of garlic until they get pretty soft. Blend with everything else to taste. So easy, and once you have the tahini, all you'll need to buy really are chickpeas. I usually have some garlic and olive oil around. You can leave out parsley if your out. You can make a lot and keep it in the fridge all week.
  • rico1923
    Options
    I see you live in MI. I don't know what kind of stores you have locally BUT you should check out the CSA(Community Supported Agriculture) site at the link posted below. The basic program(organized by the USDA) is you sign up for a season w/the farmer, either pay up front or as the food is harvested(up to the farmer), and get your produce either delivered to your area or available for farm pick-up. Some of the CSA farms also sell produce out of their farms; in my home state it isn't worth it but the CA, UT and AZ farms that advertise on the site have very low cost produce that is mostly organic. In NV we do have a local Sunflower Market (a local chain based in CO) that has incredible selection of fresh and organic produce for very low prices- and really low compared to Whole Foods Market, Trader Joes and other supermarkets in the same niche.

http://www.localharvest.org/csa/