Sorry that has too many calories in it.....

Options
StuAblett
StuAblett Posts: 1,141 Member
My lovely wife is a good cook, trust me, I know :bigsmile: and she is trying to be very helpful, but as she is Japanese and she is thin, and has never had a weight problem, she just does not "get it".
I like soup, especially in the winter, a nice bowl of hot soup can really hit the spot. I cook my own, the last one I did was wonderful, a good veggie soup, one bowl, which is about 500ml or two cups, was 136 calories, I weigh and measure everything that goes into the soup and add it all up and divide but the number of bowls. I think that this is a good number for a large bowl of soup. The other day my lovely wife decided to cook me some soup, we are very busy at work right now, and she had some time and I'd run out of soup. It is delicious but I think it is rather heavy on the calories, she did not agree, saying it was about the same as the soup I made last week. I got her to write down everything that she put into the soup, then we figured out the calories, and did the math, one bowl 500ml or two cup......? 366 calories, yes it is delicious soup, but that has way too many calories in it for me, I solved the problem by halving the amount and just adding hot water, it is still delicious.
I think she now understands why I measure everything and quantify it all, check the calories, she was shocked at how high the calories are in Olive oil, for example, or that 1/2 cup of tofu has about the same calories as one chicken thigh, without the skin.
She is one of these amazing people that does not need to watch what she eats, she does not over eat, and she never even thinks about it, she can just eat and she does not gain weight. I have to be very strict and I have to be dedicated to counting my calories, when I do and I keep moving, I can and do lose weight (50 pounds so far, another 50 or so to go!)

Now she understands why I want to cook my own soup :happy:

Is this a common thing with other MFP members and their spouses?

Cheers!

Replies

• MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    366 calories for a meal isn't all that bad though! Or is your soup just part of a meal, I mean occasionally I have a light breakfast or lunch under 200 calories, but it's rare! My husband used to cook some things from time to time that were a bit calorie heavy for me so I would just eat small portions, but he's on board now using MFP himself, so he is much more conscious of it now :) Good luck!
  • jumperchick
    Options
    yes !! my bf is very loving and always trying to make me eat. especially pizza which i love but i cant have bc i over eat it ! he always tells me if i dont eat im going to waste away to nothing. he is also the kind of person who can eat a ton and not gain a pound. he just doesnt get it !
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    i hear ya! my husband is 6'4" and weighs 170lbs, usually a little less. I am 5'1" and was heading towards 200lbs. I am now down to 172. He eats anything and everything and has no concept of nutrition, let alone calories. He thinks something is healthy if he makes veggies, but then wants to know why i dont want cheese sauce (with butter and whole milk in it) on top of my broccoli. Thats one of a million examples.
  • cavaaller_85
    cavaaller_85 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I have a similar, but different problem. My husband is really into weight-lifting, and all of his magazines scream, "Protein! Protein! Protein!" He thinks that the only important things to eat are protein and carbs, and that if you are working out and eating these two things that calories don't matter. I've tried to explain to him that weight loss is really all about calories in vs. calories out, but he believes the parts of the magazine that promote his preferred lifestyle.

What I have tried to do is prepare high-protein meals that include veggies--a compromise of sorts. Maybe if you make cooking meals a fun "game" in which your wife has to use at least a certain amount of healthy ingredients and keep the calorie content lower, she will rise to the occasion? I don't mean to make her sound like a kid, but if she enjoys cooking she may be up for the challenge. Or ask her to compromise: olive oil, but no meat. Or some other exchange.

She sounds like a really supportive spouse! Lucky you!
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    I have a similar, but different problem. My husband is really into weight-lifting, and all of his magazines scream, "Protein! Protein! Protein!"

lol, weight lifter eh? mans gotta have his protein, lol.
  • StuAblett
    StuAblett Posts: 1,141 Member
    Options
    366 calories for a meal isn't all that bad though! Or is your soup just part of a meal, I mean occasionally I have a light breakfast or lunch under 200 calories, but it's rare! My husband used to cook some things from time to time that were a bit calorie heavy for me so I would just eat small portions, but he's on board now using MFP himself, so he is much more conscious of it now :) Good luck!

mbcarreno08,I usually have something like carrot sticks or some other veggie with the soup. I also try to eat at least five times a day, small quick meals, I find this suits my work/lifestyle and I'm not getting hungry all the time. Nearly 400 calories times 5 times a day is too high for me.
    Great to hear your hubby is on board, it is so very hard to do this if your spouse or SO is not helping out.

Thanks everyone for your comments!
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I work as a chef for a living, and I also do the cooking when I get home... my husband 100% recognizes the food elimination list I have to medically avoid and when he cooks, he always asks me "is this something you can have? how much is ok for you to have?"...

Not only that but he is 100% supportive with my weight loss efforts and will always try the dishes I create based on my doctor's recommendations...I love that he will try everything once...