Recipe Swap Week 15

Options

Replies

• inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    Lebanese Rice and Lentil Soup (from http://www.tasteofbeirut.com/2009/10/red-lentil-and-rice-soup/)

2 cups of red lentils
    1/3 cup of white rice (I used the cheapest one and it worked well)
    6 cups of chicken broth or vegetable broth
    1 onion, chopped
    5 garlic cloves (my addition)
    2 tablespoons of oil (I used olive oil)
    salt, pepper to taste
    2 teaspoon of ground cumin
    1 teaspoon of red pepper flakes

METHOD:

Heat oil in a large pot
    Fry garlic and onion until golden
    Pour the broth and the lentils and all the seasoning minus the salt
    When the lentils are soft and have turned mushy, puree the mixture using an immersion blender (optional)
    Pour the lentils back in the pot and add the rice
    Return to a boil and lower the heat. Simmer gently until the rice is cooked
    Adjust seasonings and serve hot.

**I added plenty of lemon juice before serving... YUMMY!

Yum!! Sounds like we got two wonderful recipes this week!
  • chubiD
    chubiD Posts: 260
    Options

I've made this exact same recipe before except that it had sausage in it. And no red pepper.

:)

You can skip the red pepper if you aren't into spicy food; this one wasn't that spicy though.
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Fiesta Chicken and Rice

Generic - Mexican Blend Shredded Cheese, 0.5 cup
    Laughing Cow (Cheese Wedge) - Light Queso Fresco & Chipotle, 2 wedge 21g
    Members Mark - Chicken Breast - Skinless - Boneless, 4 oz piece
    Rice - White, long-grain, regular, cooked, 6 cup
    Great Value - Light Sour Cream, 0.5 container (30 tbsp ea.)
    Great Value - Thick & Chunky Salsa, Mild, 1 container (48 tbsp ea.)

It's a little heavy on the sodium. In a large bowl, combine cooked riced, cooked and shredded chicken, salsa, sour cream, and Laughing Cow cheese. Mix until well blended. Place mixture into a casserole dish and press out to edges with back of a spoon. Top with shredded cheese and bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes or until cheese is completely melted.

Serves 8

Calories - 248
    Carbs - 42
    Fat - 4
    Protein - 9
    Potassium - 313
    Sodium - 842

Again... not the best on sodium, but it is low calorie and very tasty.

ENJOY!

Both recipes sound great. I'm excited. Just to clarify, is this only 4 oz of chicken for the whole thing?
  • MamaDee2
    MamaDee2 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Can't wait to try these two!
  • ckclontz
    Options
    Fiesta Chicken and Rice

It's a little heavy on the sodium. In a large bowl, combine cooked riced, cooked and shredded chicken, salsa, sour cream, and Laughing Cow cheese. Mix until well blended. Place mixture into a casserole dish and press out to edges with back of a spoon. Top with shredded cheese and bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes or until cheese is completely melted.

Serves 8

Calories - 248
    Carbs - 42
    Fat - 4
    Protein - 9
    Potassium - 313
    Sodium - 842

ENJOY!

This sounds sooooooo yummy! I'm a Tex-Mex girl, so anytime I can incorporate salsa, I'm all over it!
  • nickssweetheart
    Options
    bump.

Going to make the first recipe tonight. I tend to switch recipes up quite a bit based on what I have in the house and our preferences, so it will be a bit different, but I am excited and will post later.
  • nickssweetheart
    Options
    Fiesta Chicken and Rice

Serves 8

Calories - 248
    Carbs - 42
    Fat - 4
    Protein - 9
    Potassium - 313
    Sodium - 842

ENJOY!

swhitney2,

This turned out really great!

I used brown rice instead of white because that's what I had, and I wanted to add some vegetables, so I cut the cooked rice back to only 5 cups, and added a diced green pepper and a diced yellow onion. I increased the chicken breast to 8 oz cooked for a little more protein and because the bf gets grumpy if he thinks I skimp on protein. ;)

I used Aldi brands for the salsa, light sour cream, and the mexican cheese blend. Since I was using less rice and adding the vegetables which would add more moisture, I cut the sour cream down by a third (used 20 tablespoons.) I also substituted 2 tablespoons of the adobo sauce from a jar of chipotle peppers instead of the laughing cow, because we already had it in the house. And I used 2/3 of a cup of cheese on top instead of 1/2.

I divided it by 6 servings instead of 8 because we are hearty eaters here. I got quite a bit of food. I wanted to snap a pic but I was too hungry by the time it was done. I knew it was going to be great because I tasted the mixture before I slipped it in the oven and I almost just grabbed my spoon and sailed in. When I calculated out the nutritional value, I had a few calories left, so I topped it with 5 sliced olives and made a romaine salad topped with some avocado and lime on the side. And I'm really really stuffed.

Nutritional breakdown after the changes (for 1/6 of the recipe):

377 calories
    55 carbs
    9 grams fat
    17 grams protein
    8 grams fiber
    160 mg potassium
    870 mg sodium
    10 g sugar

Thank you for the recipe! I suspect I will make it often. It really worked out well because on Tuesday the chicken breasts that I had planned to stir-fry didn't thaw in the fridge, so we ended up eating vegetable stir-fry and then I had to use of the chicken when it finally DID thaw.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you enjoyed it! :happy: Your variations definitely sound interesting! I thought it was kind of a plain recipe myself so you definitely gave it some more flair.
  • jnchorn
    jnchorn Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Oh I would love to join this. I love to cook and share recipes. Most of mine are unhealthy though so I need the inspiration.
  • nickssweetheart
    Options
    I have this compulsion to add vegetables to any kind of casserole dish (and lots of other dishes too, tbh.) I think it's because if I see a bigger plate of food I feel like I got to eat more. I've even started steaming some spinach and tossing it with our spaghetti noodles.
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    Oh I would love to join this. I love to cook and share recipes. Most of mine are unhealthy though so I need the inspiration.

Welcome!
  • RVGirl10
    RVGirl10 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    What wonderful thread! Please add me.

I tend to make the same old things over and over, so I really need this.
  • wilberfamily
    wilberfamily Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I'm new to the message boards. This is my first post :smile: I like the idea of a recipe swap. I'm just getting back into my nutrition and weight loss goals and need new ideas. My husband and I are doing this together so I need recipes for both of us. I will share what I have too.
  • gmcwife1
    Options
    Both of these recipes sound great! I can't wait to try them :smile:

~ Dori ~
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    Adding the new people!
  • ken1994
    ken1994 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Fiesta Chicken and Rice

Serves 8

Calories - 248
    Carbs - 42
    Fat - 4
    Protein - 9
    Potassium - 313
    Sodium - 842

ENJOY!

I made this one yesterday for dinner and it was delicious, thank you so much. I made several changes to my tastes .
    1. I used greek plain yogurt instead of sour cream
    2. Made fresh salsa eliminating some of the sodium
    3. Did not use the laughing cow cheese at all.

Cannot wait to try the lentel soup tomorrow.

Ken
  • nickssweetheart
    Options
    By the way, the boyfriend and I agree that next time I make the Fiesta Chicken, it would be good to throw in a can of black beans in place of 1 of the cups of rice.

I can't try the lentil soup until this weekend, because I ended up not cooking a couple of the meals I had planned for last week (nothing like an unexpected work holiday party to throw off your menu planning) and I need to use those groceries first.
  • Breckgirl
    Breckgirl Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year Everyone! I'm making the first one on Friday, it sound marvolus!
  • RAHJustice
    Options
    bump
  • lonypony
    lonypony Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Interesting idea and I have everything in the pantry/fridge/freezer for the chicken/rice recipe to do tonight. I will have to substitute the brands etc as I am in Australia - but the general idea of the recipe is all I need. I am just back after a 6 month break and need all the help I can get ..... AGAIN!