Lifetime Fitness Indoor Triathlon

toadiejones
toadiejones Posts: 605 Member
edited October 6 in Fitness and Exercise
Has anyone done one?

I'm just trying to figure out if I would be out of my league. I'm a fairly new runner, love biking outdoors but am a granny-style swimmer. My club has one happening in March and I'm wondering if that is enough time to train. A 10 min swim, 20 min treadmill run and a 30 min stationary bike doesn't sound too bad but I was wondering if anyone had experienced it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Replies

• cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,571 Member
    That sounds fun! I've never experienced it but if you can do all three parts of it, I say go for it! What do you have to lose?!?!?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    I haven't done an indoor one but all I can say is do it!!! Don't worry about being out of your league, your only competition is you. I've been there. The best part of this is that the event is in an indoor pool, great for a weaker swimmer. It is definitely enough time to train.
    You can definitely do it. Just a warning, triathlon can be pretty addictive.
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Sods like a lot of fun go for it. The only time we truely fail is when we fail to try. :drinker:
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    i'm looking forward to doing my first triathlon in june. super excited. i was a swimmer in college, and i have no fear of the water, so i can't wait to do my first sprint tri outdoors.

the best thing you can do is educate yourself. pick up the book "your first triathlon" by joe friel. its very informative for beginners and veterans a like. check out beginnertriathlete.com too, for some great articles and work out programs.

if you are not a strong swimmer, that is ok. most people will agree that the swim is the least important part of the triathlon. however, you also don't want to let it go to waste. swimming isn't like the run or the bike. you can't just jump in the pool and let your body naturally adapt to swimming. you need to really look at your stroke. get some swim lessons, and look at you tube videos. look up some swimming work outs too.

by the way, if you can do 30-40 minutes each of swimming, cycling, and running on seperate days in the same week, you are already well on your way to doing a real sprint triathlon.
  • toadiejones
    Thanks for the encouragement! Maybe I should just bite the bullet and go for it. I like the concept that everything is time based...so no being left in the dust by everyone else! The swimming part is what makes me the most nervous but maybe I should look at a swimming lesson or 2 to feel more comfortable.

Thank you for the book and website recommendations! I will definitely look at that.

The sign-up list isn't up yet so I'll keep psyching myself up....
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    sprint triathlons are time based too. the clock doesn't start until you cross the line, and you are paired with people of you age and level of experience. and sprint distance triathlons are the largest growing distance. people of all ages and fitness levels sign up for them. and you don't need to get crazy with equipment either. i'm doing mine with my mountain bike.

to find a local triathlon, check out trifind.com.
  • toadiejones
    Great info engineman! Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.