How to train for a half marathon

Options
My New Year's Resolution this year is to train for a half marathon on March 17th in the Twin Cities. I have run a lot of 5k's but this will be my biggest race by far. I plan on beginning to train on January 3rd.

If anyone has any tips for training or tricks to stay motivated please let me know! Thanks for any input!

Replies

• Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    Bump! I want to know as well.
  • Murphy15
    Murphy15 Posts: 142
    Options
    I'm running my first in Feb! I'm in the same exact boat since the longest I've run is a 5K. I did a lot of research and talked to some people and here are some I really liked and have heard a lot of positive feedback about:

http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/
    He has programs from beginners to advanced.

http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/half_marathon.html
    I use this one mostly. The intervals work wonders on your body and stamina.

Good luck! Can't wait to hear how it goes. :)
  • Marig0ld
    Marig0ld Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I'm running my first in Feb! I'm in the same exact boat since the longest I've run is a 5K. I did a lot of research and talked to some people and here are some I really liked and have heard a lot of positive feedback about:

Definitely Hal Higdon! I will be using his program to train for a half marathon in June.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Higdon.
  • andreabball
    andreabball Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Check with a local running store in your area. Many offer programs to follow and groups to train with. My Half Marathon training group had it's first group run on 12/17 and we are training for the DC Rock n Roll half on 3/17 also. Best of luck to you!!
    -Andi
  • agleckle
    agleckle Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Yep, Hal Higdon all the way!
  • ramey36
    Options
    Hal Higdon's method is great as is Galloway's. I've done three half's, the most recent on December 4th. The best advice I can give is to not skimp on long runs. Even if you do them very slowly, you need to train your body to be on your feet for that length of time.

Finishing a half is a huge accomplishment. Good luck.

ramey
  • Ive run the equivelant of half marathons once every 2 weeks, I think the biggest preperation before running is getting into the right mentallity and buliding mental strengh for when you or if you hit the wall, I also say a 2 day resting period between each endurance session just to re-energise and recouperate, Good luck :-)
  • Saisha23
    Saisha23 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Yep, Hal Higdon programs are great.

Another great site I started using this year is www.dailymile.com. You can log all your miles run for the year -- seeing those number get higher each week is a great motivation to keep on keeping on. ALSO, if you find your race on that website, it will show you OTHER people who are registered for the same race so that you can follow their training as well. It's like having a running buddy without trying to match your workout schedules!!

I'm 2.5 miles away from running 900 miles this year -- seeing those numbers has definitely helped keep me motivated to push and hit my targets for the year!
  • remyegomez
    Options
    Hal Higdon
  • I forgot the most important tip, STICK THE ROCKY IV soundtrack on and youll run 2 marathons in one go!! lol :-)
  • Starkle09
    Starkle09 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Hal Higdon all the way!!
  • megansoriano
    Options
    Bump! I want to know as well.

What does "Bump" mean . . . I
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I used a variation of the Jeff Galloway run/walk interval plan...heard great things about Hal Higdon as well.

Finding a running group or club really helps with encouragement and motivation, if you have a running store or such a group in your area.

Use your long runs to experiment with fueling, hydration, gear, etc...don't do anything new on race day.

Don't skip long runs if at all possible (I learned that the hard way, skipped some long runs due to illness and really struggled on my last couple of training runs)

Get lots of rest!

If you run with music, put together a special playlist for your half marathon, I love running with music so that was really motivating for me.

Keep a training journal so you can track what went right/wrong on your runs.

Don't increase mileage or speed too fast or too soon.

Most important: have fun!

Feel free to add me, I always like talking to other runners :)
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I forgot the most important tip, STICK THE ROCKY IV soundtrack on and youll run 2 marathons in one go!! lol :-)

"Eye Of The Tiger" is on my half marathon training playlist...it definitely gets me going!
    1420 Posts: 9
    Options
    If you google the Disney Marathon, there is an 18 week training program on there for a half marathon that you can print off. Since you can already run a 5km, you should be able to do it. Good luck and happy trails!
  • tikikris
    tikikris Posts: 81 Member
    Options

Yes, I'm using halhigdon.com for my 1/2 marathon in March. I have a family member who paces marathons all the time, and he recommends that site.
  • InTheInbetween
    InTheInbetween Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I used a variation of the Jeff Galloway run/walk interval plan...heard great things about Hal Higdon as well.

Finding a running group or club really helps with encouragement and motivation, if you have a running store or such a group in your area.

Use your long runs to experiment with fueling, hydration, gear, etc...don't do anything new on race day.

Don't skip long runs if at all possible (I learned that the hard way, skipped some long runs due to illness and really struggled on my last couple of training runs)

Get lots of rest!

If you run with music, put together a special playlist for your half marathon, I love running with music so that was really motivating for me.

Keep a training journal so you can track what went right/wrong on your runs.

Don't increase mileage or speed too fast or too soon.

Most important: have fun!

Feel free to add me, I always like talking to other runners :)

Good stuff!
    Remember to cross train. Simple strength training does wonders for your running! Core strength plays a big role in maintaining stamina and preventing injuries.
  • InTheInbetween
    InTheInbetween Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    What does "Bump" mean . . . I

"Bump" just puts the topic at the top of the feed. Literally "bumping" it up to the top by giving it a new post so it will show as one of the most recently replied to topics in the board. :)