How many pounds are you trying to lose a week?

Options
124»

Replies

• lglg11
    lglg11 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Mine is set at basically 3/4 lb. per week, as I calculated my daily goal based on my maintenance calories minus 20% instead of going with the MFP recommendation which was only about 1320 calories. This gives me 1412 calories and I enjoy every single one of them. You have to eat well to lose. Starving ourselves does not work. Trust me, over the summer I foolishly tried doing 2 pounds per week and was at 1200 calories per day, I was also running a lot and eating those calories back, but I started to feel sluggish and stupid and cranky until I upped my calories again. I honestly didn't see any increase in my weight loss when I was at the lower number of calories at all. I find that when I stick close to my 1412 calories daily I see a steady loss!

I like this a lot!

1200 worked for me AT FIRST....now I can't go back! LOL I stay around the same cals as well

Totally agree with this ! You have to eat in order to lose . Make good choices .
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    My goal is currently set at 1/2 lb per week which gives me 1400 calories before exercise. Then I eat my exercise calories which usually puts me eating a total of around 1700-1900 most days. Sometimes I go over my calories a bit b/c I'm still nursing a couple of times a day and sometimes I need that extra snack. I'm getting pretty close to my goal so trying to slow down and focus more on improving my fitness.
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    Started out at 1200 cal day, with 2 lb loss. That worked great at first, then my body stopped losing both pounds and inches. No matter what I did, could not loss any more.

I workout 6 days a week, cardio and weights, and I needed more fuel. Slowly started upping my calories, and lost a bit more, but kept stalling. I staggered cals, upped cals, etc. No joy.

I am short, 5'2"

Now I am at about 1600-1800 cals a day, I also have a free day once a week - I daily eat back some of my exercise calories. I am steadily losing pounds and inches. Some weeks a half pound, some weeks 2-3 pounds. I switched to the "Olivia Method" of MFP, which just slightly changes the way you use MFP, and that seems to work better for me personally. Good if you are close to your goal weight, and workout quite a bit. You focus more on your overall weekly deficit., so you do not starve on no exercise days.

My goal is not really pounds though - rather I want a lower body-fat percentage, with inch loss. So I am really more concerned with inch loss, clothing fit, body tightness, and definition.

I weigh heavier on the scale, but I am tighter, leaner and smaller sized - because of muscle I have from weight lifting. Thats what I want - tight look, no jiggles. :) Scale weight makes no difference at all to me. Looking good nakkid does. :)
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Set to 1lb a week now, was set to 2lb but I realised this was too unrealistic and restrictive - I would rather slowly lose weight and have a lifestyle which is workable for me in the long term. I have 1500 calories a day but because I work out I usually get an extra 400-500 calories to eat :P
  • Stefanie7125
    Stefanie7125 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
  • bjmmcw98
    Options
    I currently have mine at 1# a week but I am going to up it 2# a week because I am going to start my workouts this week and I know I can do it!
  • skinnnybride
    Options
    Mine is set to 1 pound a week with 1530 calories before exercise
  • dreamshadows
    dreamshadows Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Doc has me at 3 lbs per month!
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    My settings are at very active, 1/2 lb per week, 2100 cals. But I'm actually losing faster than that, faster than when my calorie allotment was lower. And I go over pretty frequently. I'm getting close to maintenance so I'm not expecting to lose weight super quickly, but it is nice that it's still coming off at a pretty good clip! (about a pound per week)
  • MelissaSel
    MelissaSel Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have an ambitious goal I'd like to meet by the beginning of March, and in order to do that I need to lose 4.5 lbs per week. I am heavy enough that this is safe and do-able. I am eating properly and exercising. MFP seems to only go as high as 2 lbs a week. Obviously, the heavier you are the bigger numbers you can safely lose. After March, I have another goal by mid April. At that point, I will see where I'm at and figure out my next small goal. I have a ways to go, so having several reachable goals (30-40 lbs at a time) is much easier than setting one big goal.
  • eudemonia
    eudemonia Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    i'd like to go for 1lb/week, and hopefully i'll see my goal weight around the fall of next year :). going any more than that gets my hopes up when i don't meet it. the more realistic i set my goals, the more likely i am to meet them.