Lean Cuisine

Options
Has anyone made Lean Cuisine a part of their diet? I am thinking about it for lunch because I eat out way too much. Has anyone had any success with Lean Cuisine?

Replies

• dirtbikegirl5
    dirtbikegirl5 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Any of the frozen meals will have a lot of sodium. Are you looking more for convenience of being able to grab it and go, or feel like the lower calories and fat will help you in your healthy program?
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,416 Member
    Options
    I eat it occasionally but it has TONS of sodium in it so I try and limit it. It can work in moderation. How about bringing leftovers from your dinner the night before and a salad? If you are able to bring the lean cuisine, that means you can bring other stuff, it's just not as convenient. But, most convenient food has tons of sodium and additives. May not be an issue with you though but you'll get some folks responding who DO have an issue with those things.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't care for them (my cooking is much tastier) but there are several thin women in my office that eat these or the Healthy Choice cafe steamers daily to maintain their weight.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I usually pack a lunch sandwiches, salads, fruits and such. I do use Lean Cuisine, Weight Watcher's, etc. once in awhile. Many are lower fat and some have healthier whole grains. The sodium is high ..... just keep your breakfast & dinner lower sodium and you'll be OK. Most frozen meals have very few veggies .... I like to add extra.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    I eat at least one or two weekly. They're not great...It's just convenient. Everyone mentions the sodium, but I have never went over my sodium "goal" due to a microwave dinner....I eat the Healthy Choice ones btw, not Lean Cuisine. :smile:
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I used to have those once in a while but I always seemed to feel hungry later. I prefer to have a sandwich or a cup of cereal.
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I like them. :)
  • love em! they don't support low sodium diets though, so in moderation if you are watching sodium levels!
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    I love love love lean cuisines. There's a little too much sodium in them, but if you watch your sodium in your other meals you'll be just fine.
  • JAllen32
    JAllen32 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Ill get one on occasion, if they are on sale or something looks good. Not just Lean Cuisine, but any of the low cal/fat frozen foods. But like PP said, they are not very filling, so I usually end up hungry again. I'd rather bring left overs or make a better meal for about the same cals or maybe a few more, and then not want to snack all afternoon. Plus, most of them don't really taste all that great anyway! :ohwell:
  • purseus
    Options
    I don't care for them (my cooking is much tastier) but there are several thin women in my office that eat these or the Healthy Choice cafe steamers daily to maintain their weight.

yea i gotta agree with you on that i can cook the same stuff in a tv dinner tray but much better and healthier
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I like them in that they're controlled portions - so if I go out to a restaurant for pasta or something, I have a fairly good idea of what 1 serving looks like (at least to the Lean Cuisine folks.) Some of them are actually pretty yummy, IMHO.
  • mtncl1mb3r
    Options
    If you want quick and easy but without all the sodium I'd suggest you try Amy's Kitchen. It's organic and they have lactose free, gluten free, light & lean, low sodium, vegetarian as well as non vegetarian entrees. They're a little more pricey than Lean Cuisine but they are totally worth it. Many of them you can heat up in the microwave, oven, or toaster oven. I like them best because they don't contain all the excess preservatives that many other frozen entrees do.
  • pereztech930
    pereztech930 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    i eat them like every work day because of the convenience and I'm not that good of a cook. I'm experimenting with Smart ones now, a little lower sodium but it is still pretty high.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I love them, and still prefer just my own whole food, home cooked meals, because the sodium content in them in through the roof!.

I personally, LOVE the Lean Cuisine Brick Oven Mushroom pizza. However, it's more of an indulgence than a staple in my diet.
    Lean Cuisines are good for is keeping the calories down but are full of (tasty) chemicals and sodium.

One thing you CAN do it increase the healthiness of those meals...add to them.
    Cut up fresh veggies and bring them to work and add them before you 'nuke the meal. Peppers and other veggies in sauces, or broccoli with chicken, etc.....
    Or, if you have left over chicken, cube some, bring in a baggie, and add it to the main dish when you prepare your lunch.
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I like them, used to eat them all the time. I still do about 1-2x per week, but they do have high sodium. For me, the convenience is nice though.
  • shine82
    shine82 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I did eat Lean Cuisine earlier.. but i see that it was not very filling and it had way too much sodium..
    If you eat out a lot, I would suggest try to eat at subway, or go to the cafe sort of places.. eat soup, no bread... or wherever you are comfortable and aware of the ingredients..

Or make a quick sandwich in the morning and pack it with you, nothing is better than your own home-made stuff, you know what you put in..
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    Do you have an Aldi? They only have a couple varieties of their brand (Fit & Active) of meals, but they have the most amazing 5-cheese lasagna, and it has 540 mg sodium (which is still a lot, but not as much as some of the other meals). Plus they're only 1.19!! I like to keep it around for if I'm in a hurry or feeling a little too lazy to cook a meal for my lunch. I don't eat it often... just nice to have with steamed broccoli on occasion. :)
  • mindy14456
    mindy14456 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I like them, and they are really convenient on the days that I am working 3 jobs. ;)
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I used them & WW Smart Ones as part of my initial Lifestyle Change on WW. They worked because it was convenient & portion-controlled. No guessing on the WW Points system - it figured it out for me. I made a deal with my PT that I would give them up and at least try to eat cleaner & healthier. I have to admit...he was right. I haven't had a frozen meal or can of soup in a month & I do feel better & am less hungry by making my own meals vs. eating pre-packaged ones. It does take a little more time & effort, but it is worth it in the long run. Good luck!

I