Work out videos that won't break the bank.

Options
So working out at a gym is not a likely thing for me. My schedule is just too eratic and I don't want to spend that kind of money. And at this point in time, my body does not appreciate me trying to run. I want to get some work out DVDs that aren't gonna cost a fortune but will get the job done. So my question is, what DVDs have you used, did they work and would you recommend them?

Replies

• RainbootsToBikinis
    RainbootsToBikinis Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I'm loving 30 day shred by Jillian Michaels. I bought it for $4.99 on amazon instant video. If you search ultimate 30 day shred, it comes up with a lot of results pictures :)
  • CnocNaCu
    CnocNaCu Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Bought Jillian Michaels 30 day Shred, No more Trouble Zones and Banish Fat Boost Metabolism, Amazon, used, cheap.
    I can recommend all 3 DVDs. Had amazing results, am much fitter, toned body and, yeah, it was fun. For 30 day shred you would need weights but I did it with 0.5litre water bottles, filled with sand ;P. They did a great job.
  • wiffe
    wiffe Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Bob harper has his Dvd's for 5 bucks till the end of hte year.
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the type of person you are. For instance, some people find Jillian Michaels hardnosed 'get it done or I'll find you and kick you' attitude to be motivating. I, however, do not. Some people like Shaun T of Insanity (I think) and Hip Hop abs because he's kind of silly and smiles a lot... same thing with Chalene Johnson of Turbo Jam - those two instructors are very peppy and up beat. Of course, there are a lot of people who find that irritating. I would rather the later versus the former personally and I'm a big fan of Turbo Jam videos especially Turbo Sculpt that uses weights. I have also done some Tony Horton videos. I really like his progression to p90x. In the Power 90 series, he was a bit more silly, but in p90x he has the attitude of 'let's do this together.... i'm doing it and so can you... if you dont get it right this time, we'll work on it together'. I really like that a whole lot!!! Plus, I got to lift weights and grow muscles.
  • chrissyv1024
    chrissyv1024 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I agree with the earlier posts - Bob Harper and Jillian are really good. I also recommended Jackie Warner. I usually get mine from my county library. Good luck!
  • carmenstop1
    carmenstop1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I also agree with earlier posts, Bob and Jillian both have some awesome videos and are very affordable! I just got 2 of Bobs dvd's last month when he had a sale, $4.99 each for the Kettlebell ones and they are both awesome! I really like Ripped in 30 with Jillian too, as well as 6 week 6 pack and Shred it with weights. They are all pretty cheap on Amazon right now too! Good luck!
  • amsandin
    amsandin Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I also love Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred video. I got it for $9 at Walmart plus the cost of weights. I started it in July and have been doing it at least 4 times a week ever since. I have a very tight schedule with working full time and being the parent of a toddler, so getting up in the morning and doing a 25 minute video has worked very well for me. I've lost 40 lbs and gone from a size 16/17 in jeans to a size 10/11. Most success I've ever had working out. Jillian can be a bit annoying, but some of the stuff she says on the videos have been very inspiring for me. I just ignore the stupid "If 400 lb people can do jumping jacks, so can you..." comments. That's the great part of these videos is I've used some of her modifications for moves and some of my own and still had amazing results.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Tae Bo. Check your library to see if they carry any workout videos.
  • Scoobees
    Scoobees Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I really like Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30, Jillian Michaels No More Trouble Zones, and quite a few Jackie Warner (30 Day Fast Start is awesome!!) and Jari Love dvds...I like to rent 'em for free from the library first before I actually buy them, :tongue:
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I love Chalene Johnson's videos, such as Turbo Jam and ChaLEAN Extreme. I found both in my local library, but I did buy Turbo Jam from Amazon. I find that it is giving me results, and she is a very encouraging instructor. I can't deal with trainers who are mean, like Jillian Michaels. I haven't done any of her workouts, but after watching an episode of the Biggest Loser, I never will.

I agree that you should go to your local library. There are tons of videos to try out for free as long as you return them in a timely manner.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    tried the 30-day shred and liked it for as long as I was able to stick with it. (I've found I am MUCH better at being consistent by going to the gym. at just $32 a month, I have to pay for it. but when I cut back on a few trips to BK or McDonald's, it does seem to be a bit easier to find.

I've been in a kettle bell class a few times and will likely go back soon. I'd seriously look at a dvd with those, and it sounds like harper has one. the equipment will be a one-time cost and they are fairly cheap at walmart. doing some research, seems that is one of the best all-around fitness activities you can put yourself through.
  • NHGirl23
    NHGirl23 Posts: 2,657 Member
    Options
    In addition to buying DVD's (amazon is a great site with lots of reviews), check out Netflix, on demand cable, and your local library. You can find a pretty good variety.

I like to mix it up, rather than doing the same ones over and over. I do Zumba, 30DS, kickboxing, dance aerobics/salsa, yoga, strength/toning/sculpting, and step aerobics.

Some names to look for: Chris Freytag, Jennifer Garlardi, Leslie Sansone, the 10-minute solution series, the Crunch series.
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Any Bob Harper or Jillian Michaels are good and usually 9.99 at the store, but you can find them on ebay and half.com for cheaper. Also, you can get Turbo Fire or other beach body workouts which include multiple discs for about half price on ebay.
  • Goldenbast
    Goldenbast Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Hey check out youtube, you can find samples from many videos and you can kinda see what you like..that is what I am doing. Some even have sample workouts so you can try it and see if you like it.
  • wiffe
    wiffe Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    ALso if you have cable and ON Demand there are videos on there.
  • Goldenbast
    Goldenbast Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Oh I didn't even think of cable and on demand....do you know what channels?
  • LovelyLibra79
    LovelyLibra79 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    comcast had exercise tv on demand but was removed. I'm so disappointed. I like Jackie Warner, Jillian Michaels (all of her dvds) & leslie sansone.
  • ritzl
    ritzl Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Check out collagevideo.com. It's a great website that gives you the ability to preview clips of what you're interested in, prices are good, and they offer weekly specials. By the way, just an avid fan, I don't have any working relationship with them.
  • FitFunTina
    FitFunTina Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I agree with the library suggestion. I've tried out numerous videos - some I thought I'd like and didn't (Walk away the pounds) and some I didn't think I'd like and did (30 Day Shred). It's nice because you can test them out (for free!) and then you can always buy the ones you like.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    www.scoobysworkshop.com Its free!