I want to be a Runner!

Replies

• SarahRuth♥
    SarahRuth♥ Posts: 609 Member
    Oh, and friend other runners. Maybe it won't work for you, but I know they inspire me to push myself harder.
  • bjfmade
    bjfmade Posts: 543 Member
    Ease into 5K, definitely. I am almost done with week 4. Never would have thought I would enjoy it, shhhh don't tell anyone! I always said I hated running.
  • Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
    Invest in some good running shoes. I would suggest going to a store that sells exclusively or primarily to runners and get custom fitted. You will likely spend around a hundred dollars or more (mine were 139). A good pair of shoes is worth every penny.

Good luck!

THIS!! big time.

And realize running has a huge mental component. Resist the urge to beat yourself up if you don't meet your expectations right away. Be patient but keep pushing!
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Invest in some good running shoes. I would suggest going to a store that sells exclusively or primarily to runners and get custom fitted. You will likely spend around a hundred dollars or more (mine were 139). A good pair of shoes is worth every penny.

Good luck!

^This

I can't stress enough the importance of good running shoes!
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    I used to be a runner :( (I have an old knee injury that prohibits me from running)

I would try the Couch to 5k - that sounds amazing.

I wasn't much into sports or anything but before I went to boot camp, I had 3 months to get in shape & running seriously helped me out. I couldn't even run 1/8th of a mile when I started. I gradually worked my way up. If you have a track to run on, you can run on the straight part of the track then walk on the bends of the track. I did this every few days, to every couple days to everyday. Before I knew it, I was running 6 miles a day. Run to Cadence tracks helped me keep going on my run. Each time you run push yourself a little further. You'll know when you become comfortable it's time to push.

When you're to the point where you don't have to walk in the middle of running, give yourself periods of long strides, then resume to a normal run, I did the strides on a the straight part of the track, then a normal jog at the bends of the track.

Every night draw your ABC's with one foot, , then the other - do uppercase lower case. Do lots of different stretching exercises before your warm ups & after your cool downs. This will prevent injuries. Make sure you eat raw foods that have lots of potassium to prevent muscle cramps. Stay well hydrated. These tips are dated from about 2000, I'm sure there are newer techniques out there now.

I gotta say that those "ABC" stretches are awesome--they really helped me!
  • anbuckmaster
    anbuckmaster Posts: 51 Member
    I want to be a runner too but every time I start the c25k program or any type of running I get shin splints really bad and I'm down for a few days. My shoes are getting kind of old so I am guessing it probably is related to that but it's crappy. I have been walking and doing the elliptical to start strengthening my legs a bit but idk. I have a new pair of shoes on order so I am hoping once i get those I can try the c25k program again.

I did find some good podcasts that this girl puts together. They have like rap/hip hop/upbeat music and she tells you when to start running and walking. http://www.kissmyblackass.org/podcasts/

Good luck!
  • Oh I am so glad you asked this question! This is my goal to. I can not jog on concrete because it hurts but I can on gravel and the treadmill. I slowly started out an 4.3 mph and would only be able to do about 7 min. I would turn on some techno and just go go go. I am up to 4.5mph at 25 min and it only took a couple of weeks. Just keep upping it until you push yourself further and Techno always gets me going. I am ready to see what others have posted because this is such a perfect question! Good luck and you can do it.
  • Yet another vote for C25K. It's helped many people become runners.
  • AnarchoGen
    AnarchoGen Posts: 400 Member
    you ARE a runner . . . keep saying it, even if you are running a few steps . . . your mind is very powerful, especially when it comes to running.

^YES very true!
    *3 weeks of attempting running everyday for me to begin to like it. Do it everyday, after awhile you will get the runner's high that lasts hours after the run. it's addicting, and leaves you in the best mood!!

and a good pair of running shoes yes, I can't believe I left that out! Your foot will let you know too. I almost bought a pair of Nikes but then I tried on Adidas and they were the best shoes I've ever had. I've also had a pair of Aesics (sp?) that I liked a lot.
  • purpadillo
    purpadillo Posts: 45 Member
    I agree with what everyone else says...get good shoes! Also, I would go ahead and sign up for a 5K. It will give you something to work for and you can do it with your daughter; the atmosphere of a race is awesome. I started running in May, ran my first 5K in June and have since turned into a running fiend (my first half is planned for mid-January), mainly because of how much fun it is to go to a race. It took about a month to really get my mind into it, though, so make sure you give it some time.
  • duprleo007
    duprleo007 Posts: 3 Member
    Wow I always hated running!

But I think that is what I need to get over the hump!

I will check out that couch to 3 mile run in 9 weeks work out.

Bless you. I already do pretty well in terms of calistenics been blowing off cardio Far too long!
  • I would definitely do the couch to 5K to train with- but I would also recommend cross training in different areas so you don't just wear yourself out. I definitely see an improvment in myself and my running by doing step at the gym, bootcamp, and anything else you can throw at me. A day of yoga for stretching is an awesome thing if you can find the time. I would definitely sign up for a 5k so you don't let yourself out of your plan. Stick with it no matter how hard it is. I have asthma and could hardly run a quarter of a block when I started and I ran a half marathon last June so you can do anything you put your mind to. Not to mention I hated running and never even wanted to run - I just wanted to get my cardio in faster :)
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    I used Couch to 5k, it really does work if you stick with it. Running is incredibly hard so you have to be mentally really ready to do it. I started when I weighed about 217, and it was difficult but you get to where you can tolerate it more every week. Just remember with Couch to 5k you can repeat weeks if you need to. Go at the pace that is the most comfortable for you.

The only thing I suggest is don't be so slack that you're running EXTREMELY slow, this is that I did and it is very difficult to increase your running speed.
  • AnarchoGen
    Stick with it no matter how hard it is. I have asthma and could hardly run a quarter of a block when I started and I ran a half marathon last June so you can do anything you put your mind to. Not to mention I hated running and never even wanted to run

All of these comments were excellent advice but I want to be very specific when I say that it took me 3 weeks to learn to like running, that meant 3 weeks of HATING to run, it is something you have to force yourself to do everyday.

My sister was more out of shape than me & she did the same thing - now she's running half marathons and training for a full one this coming year!

just remember it's all about mind over matter :)
  • LittleMissAngi
    LittleMissAngi Posts: 243 Member
    I want to be a runner too! Looking for the right shoes currently!
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    You can be! I went from just walking in July to running a 5k in October. It was the best feeling! The cold weather discouraged me for a while but now I've got some cold-weather running gear and the itch is back full-force to just get out there and run. I would have never called myself a runner six months ago (read: I -hated- running) but now I proudly do so. It took me about two months to go from hating it and only doing it because I was too stubborn to give up to doing it for the joy of it.

I echo the others- go to a running store, schedule a whole afternoon if you need it, but try on as many pairs as you need until you find the perfect pair for you. If the store wants you to buy them after just walking around a bit, set down the shoes and walk away. A good store should help you find the best shoes for your gait and to do that they need to see you run and look at the wear patterns in your current shoes if you have them. A good pair of shoes is worth the money.
  • SarahRuth♥
    SarahRuth♥ Posts: 609 Member
    Stick with it no matter how hard it is. I have asthma and could hardly run a quarter of a block when I started and I ran a half marathon last June so you can do anything you put your mind to. Not to mention I hated running and never even wanted to run

All of these comments were excellent advice but I want to be very specific when I say that it took me 3 weeks to learn to like running, that meant 3 weeks of HATING to run, it is something you have to force yourself to do everyday.

My sister was more out of shape than me & she did the same thing - now she's running half marathons and training for a full one this coming year!

just remember it's all about mind over matter :)

I wish it only took me 3 weeks!!! It took me 4 attempts at Couch to 5K (reaching week 5 each time), at which point I could finally run for 20-30 minutes at a time, but I STILL hated it!! I forced myself to sign up for a 5K hoping it would motivate me. Here I am now, about a year and a half or so later, running a 5K 3-4 days a week on my lunch break, planning to run five 5K's this coming year and also planning to attempt my first 10K, and LOVING IT!! But it was quite a struggle to get here!

Everyone I know who has really pushed themselves to keep it up has ended up loving running, whether it took them 1 week or 3 years! But it can definitely be a struggle. Trust me, though, the struggle is worth it. When you start to feel like 3 miles is no big deal, the satisfaction that comes from that is AMAZING! And it's such a fantastic calorie burn and a wonderful stress reliever.
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    I have added some jogging to my walking that I do at home but haven't had the guts to jog in public at the track where I walk. I saw a lady/girl today who was walking, then she'd run a bit, then walk, then run and I wanted to ask her if she was doing the Couch to 5K thing!!! LOL.....

I don't understand about drawing the ABC's with my foot....could someone elaborate please...do I do it standing...and ....well, I am finding I can draw the alphabet without a lot of movement so I must not be doing it right...do I draw with my toes? Or my whole foot? Sitting or standing? Where is the heel?

Thanks in advance......
  • AnarchoGen
    I have added some jogging to my walking that I do at home but haven't had the guts to jog in public at the track where I walk. I saw a lady/girl today who was walking, then she'd run a bit, then walk, then run and I wanted to ask her if she was doing the Couch to 5K thing!!! LOL.....

I don't understand about drawing the ABC's with my foot....could someone elaborate please...do I do it standing...and ....well, I am finding I can draw the alphabet without a lot of movement so I must not be doing it right...do I draw with my toes? Or my whole foot? Sitting or standing? Where is the heel?

Thanks in advance......

do it when you're laying down, with your toes :)
    I'm not sure exactly what it does, it prevents injuries like rolling your ankles while running... I just remember my mom told me to do it every night so I did & never had an injury from running.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    I always wanted to be a runner too. Now I'm a pretend runner. I have completed a full and two half marathons as well as other races. What really helped me was I signed up for a race three months out. I refused to not meet my goal of running it. So I committed. It literally was one foot in front of the other. When I wanted to walk, I picked a further point to run too before I walked. I wasn't fast and I never told anyone around me that I was running. Now everyone identifies me as a runner it will be 2 years of running in February. I am still not fast. And I am still not perfect but I run and love every minute of it.

My other suggestion is read everything you can get your hands on about running. You will fall in love with the runners world. Not to mention runners are by far the kindest and most gracious people you will ever find. They are nothing but helpful and all really do want you to succeed.