Metabolism Miracle

Options

Replies

• LisaM100
    Options
    Accept my apology for my poor grammer!:laugh:
  • SiddyRT
    Options
    I have read this book and it describes me to a T!! I highly recommend reading this!! Not everyone is a metabolism b but it's worth your time to read and see if it describes you. You should still eat within moderation and exercise 30 minutes a day, 5 days a week is recommended. Don't go haywire over the fat. I say read it and make your own choice!! :)
  • mowu
    mowu Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I would be extremely skeptical with regards to anything with the word "Miracle" in it........too often it has been used in advertising without leading anywhere
  • spartangirl79
    spartangirl79 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Everything TECallahan said describes me as well. Exercise religiously, follow the rules, and yet never lose, while I have friends who can drink regular Coke and eat fast food and drop pounds with no problem. I taught a fitness boot camp for 3 years, every single day, lifted weights, ran, etc. and still never budged below 32% body fat. I've done every "diet" out there including detox, whole foods, clean eating, etc, and NO results. I just ordered this book and will be trying it (with my husband) ASAP. I am at the end of my rope, have been to numerous doctors who have no solutions for me and tell me all my test results are "normal" (if I have another thyroid test I am going to scream), and am beyond frustrated. I really hope this works -- the 100+ people who wrote testimonials on Amazon sound just like me.

I am interested to know how it is going for you, if you bought the book?
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I have not read this particular book, but in working with my dietician I have discovered that I cannot and will not lose weight on any of the traditional so-called "healthy" diets. I am very active and have eaten healthy for years.. still year after year, my weight goes up, my waist gets bigger and my energy goes down. Exercise has no impact at all on my weight, and I've never lost more than a couple of pounds on Weight Watchers, Nutri-system, Quick Weight Loss Center -- even tried Joel Furhman's Eat To Live, Why? We believe it's because when I eat carbs, my body will not burn fat - no matter how much I exercise or how low-fat my diet is, my body will only use carbs for fuel.

It is not fat that makes me fat -- it's carbs that makes me fat. This is not true of everyone, but if you eat a healthy carb - like an apple, and then a couple of hours later you are craving a cookie -- you could also be carb-sensitive, insulin resistant or as the book says Metabolism B.

I am currently on a low-carb, high fat, moderate protein diet. 62% of my calories every day must come from fat, 25% from protein and only 13% from carbs. My carbs are only green vegetables - mostly raw. In 3 weeks, I've lost 4 pounds. More importantly, I've lost 2.5 inches on my waist - 2 inches on my hips and 2 inches on my chest!! I am in a mild state of ketosis, which is *NOT* a bad thing. I will have a blood test in a few weeks and we expect my bad cholesterol to drop and my good cholesterol to increase. I've already noticed a drop in my blood pressure.

Calories in/Calories Out is a myth if you are like me. No matter how few calories I eat or how much I exercise, if I eat certain carbs and volume of carbs, I absolutely will not lose weight. I am currently reading "Why We Get Fat: And What to Do About It". It's a tough read - lots of research and scientific data - but it explains where the Calories In/Calories Out myth came from - and it explains that prior to WW2 there were German scientists that were well on their way to figuring out that Carbs make us fat, not fat... their research was shunned after the war because they were German and the idea of Calories In/Calories out was born.

We are not fat because we overeat - we overeat because we are fat! I know I will probably get blasted for this, and it is not true of everyone, but if you have dieted and been honest about your calorie intake and exercise, and not lost weight, this might be true of you!! If you have a beer belly -- ask yourself -- how much fat is in beer? NONE!! Beer is all carbs and it makes your belly fat! I rest my case.
    Really now, so if you ate a slice of bread every day and nothing else, you'd gain weight?
  • lisaivette
    lisaivette Posts: 24
    Options
    My story is very similar. I exercise 5-6 days a week, eat well but carbs are my downfall. I have to limit the amount of carbs that I eat on a daily basis. The Mfp app helps me tremendously with monitoring my intake. I'm on the SB diet and it has helped me to curb my carb cravings.
  • cibilbee
    cibilbee Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    This was acually how I started losing weight. I highly recommend it! I though it would be very difficult because I love bread and dairy but after the first few days my cravings for those foods lessened. I hardly ever crave pasta (Mac and cheese was one of my favorites and I don't really like it now). I lost my first 50 lbs on this and there was about an 8 month period I couldn't workout due to a car wreck. After a time my metabolism actually switched from type b (which is what the program is designed for) so now I do more caloring counting but still follow many things I learned such as using almond milk and low carbon wraps. My mom, her friend, myself, and two of my friends have all lost at least 40 lbs on this diet. If you have type b metabolism (there is a questionnaire in the book to help you figure this out) I don't think you can go wrong. My biggest advice if you workout during this program is time it so you have a carbon before working out. Good luck!!
  • anamika59
    anamika59 Posts: 37
    Options
    bump
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    It's not that calories in vs calories out doesn't work, it's that you have to figure out what your proper macro's are to go with it. If you ate a ton of protein, and vegetables, and constantly over your calories you would gain weight. My mother has the same problem, and I have noticed a difference myself, that if I stay with-in my calories goal, but have more carbs, I don't lose as much, and she won’t lose anything, but if I have a great week where I get most of my calories from meat and vegetables then I will lose at least a pound more...but you still need to eat at a deficit for this to work.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    This was acually how I started losing weight. I highly recommend it! I though it would be very difficult because I love bread and dairy but after the first few days my cravings for those foods lessened. I hardly ever crave pasta (Mac and cheese was one of my favorites and I don't really like it now). I lost my first 50 lbs on this and there was about an 8 month period I couldn't workout due to a car wreck. After a time my metabolism actually switched from type b (which is what the program is designed for) so now I do more caloring counting but still follow many things I learned such as using almond milk and low carbon wraps. My mom, her friend, myself, and two of my friends have all lost at least 40 lbs on this diet. If you have type b metabolism (there is a questionnaire in the book to help you figure this out) I don't think you can go wrong. My biggest advice if you workout during this program is time it so you have a carbon before working out. Good luck!!
    I don't know anything about this plan specifically, but I have lost 14% of my body weight using lower carb eating. I never followed any specific plan, but I started by cutting out all products with added sugar, then I dropped fruit juices, and then moved on to cutting all foods with processed white grains. This cuts out most of a grocery store for me, but I've never been this successful before in my life. I'm down to under 150 g carbs per day, and am prepared to cut further as time goes on.

The biggest thing for me is that I have less of an appetite when I eat fewer carbohydrates. It is MUCH easier to stay on plan than when I was restricting fat.

One of the scariest things was that I had to up my fat intake a lot in order to be able to eat enough calories, but I've looked at a lot of research in the last 6 months and it looks like fat has been demonized using poor science.

I agree with the another poster that this is not necessarily for everybody.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    It's not that calories in vs calories out doesn't work, it's that you have to figure out what your proper macro's are to go with it. If you ate a ton of protein, and vegetables, and constantly over your calories you would gain weight. My mother has the same problem, and I have noticed a difference myself, that if I stay with-in my calories goal, but have more carbs, I don't lose as much, and she won’t lose anything, but if I have a great week where I get most of my calories from meat and vegetables then I will lose at least a pound more...but you still need to eat at a deficit for this to work.
    I absolutely agree that everybody needs a deficit in order to lose. The difference for me is that it is MUCH easier to eat less on a low-carb plan than it is on a low fat plan. I think that there are also some changes in my metabolism that I have less energy and burn fewer calories when I am on a low-fat plan as opposed to a low-carb plan.
  • stephanj
    stephanj Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    do you mean if you stay under your allotted cals you will still not lose weight? ever?

Number of calories I eat and exercise I do is meaningless if I am eating too many carbs. I ride a bike, walk, do strength training, and eat healthy food and am at a calorie deficit, but do not lose ANYTHING at all. the best I can do while eating carbs is stay below 1200 calories, starve myself, and maintain my fat belly. No thank you.

I will back you up on this. I am exactly the same. Months and months of 1400 calories with no loss. 1400 calories eating less than 75 grams of carbs = steady loss. All other things remaining equal.
  • usteward
    usteward Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    bump
  • stephanj
    stephanj Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    "...each and everyone is different."

I contest this idea.

Says the man with the tinfoil hat.....:tongue::bigsmile:
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    I have not read this particular book, but in working with my dietician I have discovered that I cannot and will not lose weight on any of the traditional so-called "healthy" diets. I am very active and have eaten healthy for years.. still year after year, my weight goes up, my waist gets bigger and my energy goes down. Exercise has no impact at all on my weight, and I've never lost more than a couple of pounds on Weight Watchers, Nutri-system, Quick Weight Loss Center -- even tried Joel Furhman's Eat To Live, Why? We believe it's because when I eat carbs, my body will not burn fat - no matter how much I exercise or how low-fat my diet is, my body will only use carbs for fuel.

It is not fat that makes me fat -- it's carbs that makes me fat. This is not true of everyone, but if you eat a healthy carb - like an apple, and then a couple of hours later you are craving a cookie -- you could also be carb-sensitive, insulin resistant or as the book says Metabolism B.

I am currently on a low-carb, high fat, moderate protein diet. 62% of my calories every day must come from fat, 25% from protein and only 13% from carbs. My carbs are only green vegetables - mostly raw. In 3 weeks, I've lost 4 pounds. More importantly, I've lost 2.5 inches on my waist - 2 inches on my hips and 2 inches on my chest!! I am in a mild state of ketosis, which is *NOT* a bad thing. I will have a blood test in a few weeks and we expect my bad cholesterol to drop and my good cholesterol to increase. I've already noticed a drop in my blood pressure.

Calories in/Calories Out is a myth if you are like me. No matter how few calories I eat or how much I exercise, if I eat certain carbs and volume of carbs, I absolutely will not lose weight. I am currently reading "Why We Get Fat: And What to Do About It". It's a tough read - lots of research and scientific data - but it explains where the Calories In/Calories Out myth came from - and it explains that prior to WW2 there were German scientists that were well on their way to figuring out that Carbs make us fat, not fat... their research was shunned after the war because they were German and the idea of Calories In/Calories out was born.

We are not fat because we overeat - we overeat because we are fat! I know I will probably get blasted for this, and it is not true of everyone, but if you have dieted and been honest about your calorie intake and exercise, and not lost weight, this might be true of you!! If you have a beer belly -- ask yourself -- how much fat is in beer? NONE!! Beer is all carbs and it makes your belly fat! I rest my case.

you sound like me! low carb all the way!

calories mean nothing to me.

but, as always, your mileage may vary.

i just feel excellent when in ketosis. i wish everyone could feel as good as i do!
  • LifeIsNotADressRehearsal
    Options
    Bump
  • tinytemple
    tinytemple Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    bump to read later - i think this really applies to me too!
  • dancingdeer
    dancingdeer Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Very interesting. How did you discover this?

My doctor first suggested that I get rid of carbs - I said "even fruit" and she said -- pretty much all carbs except green, leafy vegetables. But she didn't give me a diet - how many calories to eat, ration of carbs/fat/protein.

Now I have a dietician and we meet weekly to go over my weight loss, Body Fat percentage, measurements, etc. to see if we need to tweak it. At this point, I'm on 1300 calories a day - 62% fat, 25% protein, 13% carbs. I meet with him tonight and we'll see if I need to tweak or stay the course.

This is what my nutritionist says is the BEST way to eat - at least for me, too. Glad to see I have this in common with someone! :flowerforyou:

I also have to drink 1/2 my weight in water every day. I also work out at least 1 hour a day 6-7 days a week - combination of strength, Pilates and cardio.

I don't want to leave the impression that this is for everyone -- but if you are someone who has tried every kind of low fat diet eating "healthy" carbs, and have not lost weight, this might be you. I understand about 50% of overweight people might respond to this type of eating and lose weight.

This is exactly what my nutritionist told me to do. Amazing!
  • clotho
    clotho Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Very interesting. How did you discover this?

My doctor first suggested that I get rid of carbs - I said "even fruit" and she said -- pretty much all carbs except green, leafy vegetables. But she didn't give me a diet - how many calories to eat, ration of carbs/fat/protein.

Now I have a dietician and we meet weekly to go over my weight loss, Body Fat percentage, measurements, etc. to see if we need to tweak it. At this point, I'm on 1300 calories a day - 62% fat, 25% protein, 13% carbs. I meet with him tonight and we'll see if I need to tweak or stay the course.

I also have to drink 1/2 my weight in water every day. I also work out at least 1 hour a day 6-7 days a week - combination of strength, Pilates and cardio.

I don't want to leave the impression that this is for everyone -- but if you are someone who has tried every kind of low fat diet eating "healthy" carbs, and have not lost weight, this might be you. I understand about 50% of overweight people might respond to this type of eating and lose weight.

So you really drink half your weight in water everyday? How are you not dead? I am about 200lbs. A pound of water is about 8 oz (give or take depending on the temp of the water). So I would have to drink 100 cups of water to follow your advice. That would be 800 oz or 6.25 gallons. That is well above the 4 gallons that healthy human kidneys can process in a day. Even if you were much lighter and had to drink somewhat less it would severely tax your body after just a few days.
  • cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    bump