Does anyone else feel this way?

Options
About an hour after I exercise I get really sleepy. I have told myself it is because I am out of shape and my body isn't used to being worked in this way. But I am at the point that I need to take a nap just to get trhough the day? Is that normal?

Replies

• plumpgirl
    Options
    About an hour after I exercise I get really sleepy. I have told myself it is because I am out of shape and my body isn't used to being worked in this way. But I am at the point that I need to take a nap just to get trhough the day? Is that normal?
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Do you get enough rest at night.....I see an infant in your arms there....so.....sleeping enough? Getting enough of your regular cals to include both complex carbs and protein? Do you eat 30 mins before a workout and replenish after your workout? enough water?????? I was feeling this way the first 2 weeks of working out.....I had 110 or so pounds to lose....so I know the feeling of being outa shape. Now I manage a day ok...although I do get tired if sit down after.

:flowerforyou:

Since Jan 30th.................HA!
    56259.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • memaw66
    memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    That's why I do my exercise at night. It makes me sleep so good through the night.

Memaw
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    You're probably right: you're just not used to it.

When I first started running 10 years ago, I needed a nap after my run. And when I take long runs now, it's the same... If your body overexerts itself - particularly at a dehydrating cardio kind of exercise - you will get tired!

If you want your exercise to give you more of an energy boost right away, try some light weight lifting in between shorter cardio blasts.
  • featherbelle
    Options
    Your body may be getting used to your new routine, but you might also need more protein. When I first started working out more often, I find that I sleep much more soundly. Maybe it's just because it's new?
  • nicolee516
    nicolee516 Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    My question to you is, are you exercising foirst thing in the morning? What type of exercise is it? Are you eating breakfast? What are you eating for breakfast? Ok, that was several questions, but they all come into play. It is actually really important to eat breakfast fabout an hour before you exercise if you can. Also, breakfast should consist of a protein, and a complex carbohydrate. The protein will make you feel full and the complex carbo. will give you the sustained energy. Try and see if that works for you.
  • chantybear
    Options
    I usually have more energy after I work out, and feel better....but like Sassie said if I sit down (like I am now) I get more tired after a work out..
  • nicolet04
    Options
    i used to be this way but since i started taking a multi vitamin in the morning and drinking a protein shake right after i workout, i actually have more energy than i have ever had!!! now on my rest day i am more tired!!! hope this helps!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Beginning to train causes your body to make so many changes. It's good stress, but still can put a strain on your whole system. I am struggling with this right now as I am making a change from more endurance to more explosive work...it requires a lot of changes in the nervous system. It's important to get as much rest as possible. If you're really wiped out, sleep. Take a nap instead of training if you have to. It sounds counter-intuitive, but it will help your body make changes necessary to become more efficient.
  • lenece
    lenece Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I'm always so tired after I workout and I just started working out this week and its hard..I did 30 day shred level 1 for 2 days took a day off and today I ran 1/2 mile and walked 1/2 mile and then ran stairs for 15 mins..Major workout for me..I'm so ready for bed...:yawn:
  • plumpgirl
    Options
    My question to you is, are you exercising foirst thing in the morning? What type of exercise is it? Are you eating breakfast? What are you eating for breakfast? Ok, that was several questions, but they all come into play. It is actually really important to eat breakfast fabout an hour before you exercise if you can. Also, breakfast should consist of a protein, and a complex carbohydrate. The protein will make you feel full and the complex carbo. will give you the sustained energy. Try and see if that works for you.
    I usually alternate oatmeal, cheerios or wheat toast and a banana for breakfast and then I work out an hour to an hour and a half later. I usually do 10 mins of yoga, 20 mins of circuit training or weights, 20 mins of running on my elliptical and end with another 10 mins of yoga.
    You are right, I probably need more protein. I will try that, thanks!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options

Yep trainer told me a 1/2 banana and tbls of peanut butter 1 hour before working out and the other half within an hour after the workout.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    i used to be this way but since i started taking a multi vitamin in the morning and drinking a protein shake right after i workout, i actually have more energy than i have ever had!!! now on my rest day i am more tired!!! hope this helps!

I love the protein shake idea. I just bought a powder and so glad I did. I have been very sick this week and cant eat. So I have been having 1-2 shakes a day with fruit, milk and even chocolate powder. I am getting 100% of my vitamins and 24 grams of protien. So that has helped me get better faster.
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    I don't get tired right after I just sleep better when I do go to bed.

Like today I was so exhausted from work all day I was yawning :yawn: - While I was walking in the gym but then after I worked out I felt alot better now when I take my hot shower it will so be time for me to catch z's.

Your body could just not be used to working out- give it some more time