Does it matter what you eat as long as you don't pass your c

Options
2»

Replies

• jnhu72
    jnhu72 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Think of your calories like money. You can spend your whole weeks paycheck on lottery tickets but when it comes down to the end of the month you can't pay the mortgage. The same thing goes with your body...you can spend your calories on the fun stuff but when it's all said and done your body doesn't get the important nutrients that it needs.

It's ok to have some fun once in awhile....just budget. :)

That's a great way to put it. I for the most part eat healthy calories, but I occasionally do plan for a meal that isn't healthy. I think of as the "cheat meal", even though I have enough calories put aside for it, so I can indulge but not gain weight.
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I think the main problem that comes from eating what people label "junk foods" is because it is easier to underestimate the calories in some of those foods. If you keep a calorie deficit you'll lose weight. It's just best to eat mostly healthy to get proper nutrition and have more energy to exercise.

+1!! It's the other side of what I said. You stop eating when you get a certain volume. If there's less calories in the same volume then it's easier to stay in a calorie deficit.

Also I find when I have a treat then I can't have as big of a dinner as I'd like. It's all about weighing up your options :)
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    You will lose weight by sticking to your calories even if you only eat junk but to be healthy and have lots of energy you should make good choices on where you get *most* of those calories from.
  • RahBuhBuh
    RahBuhBuh Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Think of your calories like money. You can spend your whole weeks paycheck on lottery tickets but when it comes down to the end of the month you can't pay the mortgage. The same thing goes with your body...you can spend your calories on the fun stuff but when it's all said and done your body doesn't get the important nutrients that it needs.

It's ok to have some fun once in awhile....just budget. :)

This. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who "budgets". Also, I have discovered that junk just isn't as filling. 500 calories of cake is just a few bites. 500 calories of a fruit and nut salad will carry me all afternoon.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I think it comes down to this question -
    do you wana lose weight or do you wanna be healthy?

you can do both
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Another thing to think about is satiety. 300 calories of chocolate is a lot smaller in volume than 300 calories of vegetables. You'll feel really full if you eat 300 calories of vegetables than you would the chocolate.

THIS! I have stopped thinking in terms of calorie content and started thinking interms of calorie density. I cannot finish the volume of broccoli it takes to make up 300 calories, but the 1/16th slice of caramel pecan apple pie I had yesterday was only about three bites for those same 300 calories. When I think of it this way, I gravitate towards foods that are not calorically dense. I do not want to go around feeling like I am starving, and in order to hit my calorie goals, I must avoid high density foods.

Edited to add: OR I can workout to earn the extra calories needed. Always forget that, but it's totally fine to bust your *kitten* to earn those foods you really want to enjoy!
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I think it will work to a point! I have lost what I have lost watching what I eat but still enjoying the good stuff. But i have hit a block were the weight is not coming off as fast anymore. It gets annoying
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Weight loss does get slower the closer you come to goal weight. Dont let that throw you.
  • trefor
    trefor Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I LOVE that analogy...that calories are like your budget!! Blow your pay cheque too early after payday and there's nothing left to pay the bills!
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I wanna lose atleast 50lbs. I find it hard to believe that as long as i dont go over my calorie count then its ok and i'll still lose weight. Is this possible? I am eating fruits, going to gym 4x/week for 2 hrs and drinking lots of water by the way, but i also want to enjoy certain foods. Is that ok? what is best to stay away from and what is acceptable?
    Of course it matters what you eat, but enjoy certain unhealthy treats in moderation..

If you want to be healthy, eat healthy foods: lean meats, whole grains and nuts, fresh fruits and veggies and low fat dairy.
  • vsmurrow
    vsmurrow Posts: 145
    Options
    Find what works for you. The only 100% reliable advice you will ever need is in one simple word "moderation."

Word.