Polar FT4 HRM- Help me please!

Options
I got this for Christmas, and used it for the first time today.... I took a walk for 40 min at a brisk pace...my average heart rate was 119...it says I burned 225 calories. That seems really high...the database here says 133 cals for a 40 min brisk pace walk..

Anyone know what is going on? I was really hoping this thing would be accurate! I am 5 4 and weigh 118-119...

Replies

• galvodka
    galvodka Posts: 102
    Options
    How long was your heart rate "in zone". Do you see where it lists that in your training records? 225 calories burned is definitely possible if you spent most of that time with your heart rate elevated "in zone".
  • mizzoulaxgirl26
    mizzoulaxgirl26 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Sounds right to me. I use a different brand but high impact Zumba is about 400-450 for 60 minutes for me at 5'9" and 135. So I think the walking pace/time/burn seems reasonable.
  • compscidood
    Options
    I would assume its all math. Everyone is different regardless. Some people may have a higher or lower heartrate and from that number, it would calculate how many calories you are burning. There are alot of variables that can go into calculating calories. Sorry math geek here...

By the way, I have been also thinking getting a heartrate monitor myself. Do you like what you got?
  • Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Sounds right to me! You can double check you put in your correct weight and height into the HRM but other than that you're good. 119 sounds right for walking quickly. ~200 cals for 40 min sounds reasonable.
  • Marig0ld
    Marig0ld Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Yep that sounds about right to me. I have the same model and 119 is a moderate heart rate. If I run I'm usually 170-180 which = mega burn! It's so much fun working out with my Polar FT4 :-)
  • crobinson0923
    Options
    When I put your age, weight, ave. heart rate and the time you worked out into the calories burned equation, then i got 272. So that doesn't seem to high to me
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    After I got mine I noticed MFP and the treadmill both were underestimating my burn. Yours seems about right.
  • kmard81
    kmard81 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    i also have the Polar FT4 and have always found mine to be accurate.
  • Eponine7
    Eponine7 Posts: 161
    Options
    Sounds accurate to me too. Love my Polar FT4. Great job!
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I got this for Christmas, and used it for the first time today.... I took a walk for 40 min at a brisk pace...my average heart rate was 119...it says I burned 225 calories. That seems really high...the database here says 133 cals for a 40 min brisk pace walk..

Anyone know what is going on? I was really hoping this thing would be accurate! I am 5 4 and weigh 118-119...

Sounds correct to me for sure. I would trust your HRM.

119 calories sounds very low to me for 40 minutes brisk walking.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    i also have the Polar FT4 and have always found mine to be accurate.

Ahh good, because I have just ordered a Polar FT4 online. I had some money given as a gift over Christmas, I thought it would be an ideal pressie to buy myself with it lol.
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I have a polar FT4 I bought last spring 2011 and when weight /age/ height are all entered correctly it is very accurate, I used that compared to same entries into my precor elliptical machine user program and got nearly the same reading only off by 10 calories on the burn, for me 35 mins was 270 calories but this is on an elliptical and I am much heavier.