GOOD OR BAD??

Options
Okay i got 3 mates who have being on diet ...

2 of them eat only once a day but do no exercise but during that once a day, they eat healthy like salad with chicken and thats it! and they have lost about 10 kgs in a month!

the other one have only being skipping dinner and have lost about the same amount!

I really need to loose weight so i was thinking of doing either two but i was also worried that uni starting soon and i cant afford not to eat and have headaches at uni and not be able to concentrate!

Replies

• speedycakes
    speedycakes Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Bad idea. Your friends are starving there selves. There going to gain it back when they eat a normal amount again. Plus there not going to be toned or fit there just going to be skinny fat.

I think you just need to stick to eating healthy foods, in good moderation. Plus exercise. You'll get there and it will be worth it.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Neither sounds like something that would work for me. You need to find a plan that works for you though, and your schedule/tastes/etc. I like to eat 3 meals and 2 snacks every day. They're not as healthy as I'd like but I try to keep each meal around 350 calories and split the rest between snacks. Some people swear by other methods, so it's all about what you can do and maintain long term.
  • xginanax
    xginanax Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Bad idea. Your friends are starving there selves. There going to gain it back when they eat a normal amount again. Plus there not going to be toned or fit there just going to be skinny fat.

I think you just need to stick to eating healthy foods, in good moderation. Plus exercise. You'll get there and it will be worth it.

i told them exact same thing but u cant help it but think hey i want to loose weight quickly... lol
  • xginanax
    xginanax Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Neither sounds like something that would work for me. You need to find a plan that works for you though, and your schedule/tastes/etc. I like to eat 3 meals and 2 snacks every day. They're not as healthy as I'd like but I try to keep each meal around 350 calories and split the rest between snacks. Some people swear by other methods, so it's all about what you can do and maintain long term.

yeah i cant starve myself coz i tried that and i failed but maybe the no dinner thing might work out for me and i heard dinner is not that important anyways...
  • speedycakes
    Options

i told them exact same thing but u cant help it but think hey i want to loose weight quickly... lol

I know the feeling, i have debated water or juice fast many times. I would love to drop 20 pounds in a month. Not that i haven't done crazy stuff in the past, it's never worked out for me.
  • forest0spirit555
    forest0spirit555 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    It is not good to skip any meals. Your body will begin to believe it is starting to starve and will cause it to retain most food in the form of fat. You should try eating low calorie foods and cutting back on fat intake. Try and eliminate adding unnesscary calories like butter, salt, or sugar. There are plenty of healthy substitutions. Your going to want to look up the food guide pyramid and try to follow it as closely as possible. Taking a multi vitamin would be a good idea too because you need to have the vitamins that you arent getting because of limiting your food intake. In order to not starve yourself you must consume at least 1200 calories per day. You can eat more as long as you excercise. As far as excercising goes you should attempt to do some high intensity cardio (to shred fat) and strength training to gain muscle. Jump roping, interval running, and kick boxing are some great starting points.

For four weeks I have been eating a diet based off of the food guide pyramid. I have 1 cup of hot cereal (oatmeal or cream of wheat), 1 cup of 1% Milk, and a piece of fruit for breakfast. Lunch is usually low fat peanut butter sandwich on low calorie multigrain bread, yogurt, a pickle and a piece of fruit. Dinner is usually a form of lean meat such as fish or boneless skinless chicken, vegetables, and either rice or plain noodles. I have about two cups of water during every meal and a water bottle after exercise. I have had consistent and dramatic weightloss and its healthy! Remember that losing weght is a process that takes time and effort. There are no healthy shortcuts, and your going to want to be healthy so that you will be able to keep the weight off even after you have finished your dieting.

Good Luck. Stay Healthy. And shed those extra pounds :)
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options

The only way this would be ok is if you ate ALL of your calories needed for the day in that one (or two) meal(s). There is nothing wrong with doing that....but you have to get in all of your calories. I doubt that person is getting enough by only eating a salad.

^This is good advice. :)
  • forest0spirit555
    forest0spirit555 Posts: 164 Member
    Options

The only way this would be ok is if you ate ALL of your calories needed for the day in that one (or two) meal(s). There is nothing wrong with doing that....but you have to get in all of your calories. I doubt that person is getting enough by only eating a salad.

I agree. Thats the only way, but it most definitely would not work for me. I have to have 3 square meals a day minimum or i cant keep up the diet. I get intense hunger pains and will reach for the first high calorie fatty thing I see.
  • corrinepruitt
    Options
    Can anyone tell me if you are struggling to get the 1200 in and is it bad to try and finish it up with a snack at night or do you quit eating after a certain time? Help?
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Can anyone tell me if you are struggling to get the 1200 in and is it bad to try and finish it up with a snack at night or do you quit eating after a certain time? Help?

Some people say it's bad to eat right before you go to bed, but if I'm still really hungry, or if I know I haven't eaten enough that day, I'll do it anyway. If I don't, I wake up hungry in the middle of the night, which isn't fun. An alternative is to plan your calories better a little earlier in the day, and eat something dense in calories (e.g.nuts or nut butter) right around dinner.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options

It doesn't matter what time you eat. Your body doesn't know the difference. The saying that you will gain weight if you eat after a certain time is a myth. It all about calories in vs. calories out. If you don't get the whole 1200 in, then eat them the next day (plus your amt. for that day too). It is important that you do get enough calories because you will greatly slow you metabolic rate and you weight loss will stop completely. You have to eat food!!!
  • speedycakes
    Options
    I don't think you should ever make your self eat when your not hungry. Your body will let you know when it needs more. Maybe just add a bit more to your meals if you can. Exercising more can increase the apatite, well for me anyway.
  • TheGlen
    TheGlen Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    It is not good to skip any meals. Your body will begin to believe it is starting to starve and will cause it to retain most food in the form of fat. You should try eating low calorie foods and cutting back on fat intake. Try and eliminate adding unnesscary calories like butter, salt, or sugar. There are plenty of healthy substitutions. Your going to want to look up the food guide pyramid and try to follow it as closely as possible. Taking a multi vitamin would be a good idea too because you need to have the vitamins that you arent getting because of limiting your food intake. In order to not starve yourself you must consume at least 1200 calories per day. You can eat more as long as you excercise. As far as excercising goes you should attempt to do some high intensity cardio (to shred fat) and strength training to gain muscle. Jump roping, interval running, and kick boxing are some great starting points.

For four weeks I have been eating a diet based off of the food guide pyramid. I have 1 cup of hot cereal (oatmeal or cream of wheat), 1 cup of 1% Milk, and a piece of fruit for breakfast. Lunch is usually low fat peanut butter sandwich on low calorie multigrain bread, yogurt, a pickle and a piece of fruit. Dinner is usually a form of lean meat such as fish or boneless skinless chicken, vegetables, and either rice or plain noodles. I have about two cups of water during every meal and a water bottle after exercise. I have had consistent and dramatic weightloss and its healthy! Remember that losing weght is a process that takes time and effort. There are no healthy shortcuts, and your going to want to be healthy so that you will be able to keep the weight off even after you have finished your dieting.

Good Luck. Stay Healthy. And shed those extra pounds :)

I follow something that is completely contradictory to this conventional wisdom ( the primal blueprint - http://goo.gl/34ax9 ), and it has worked well for me. One of the things they suggest, is that "intermittent fasting" might actually be healthy ( as explained here - http://goo.gl/ckESX ).

I also follow a food pyramid, but it looks a little different than the conventional one...
    94PQs

You have to find what works for you, everyone is different.
  • mugsisme
    mugsisme Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Exercising more can increase the apatite, well for me anyway.

Laughing. I am eating plain (no sugar added oatmeal) with raspberries and cinnamon (and some egg whites) cuz I just got back from the gym and and I AM STARVING!!!

Listen. Your friends are dumb. They will drop the weight quick, and then put it right back on and probably some extra to go with it. I personally follow the ideology of the Gylcemic Index. Pair carbs with protein and make sure you have half your plate of vegetables. Watch your portion sizes. I find that is a biggie for most people. Learn what a true serving size of meat or chicken is, and stick to it. (I personally avoid red meat, and eat turkey, salmon or chicken instead.) Don't let your blood sugar drop, or you will be grabbing what ever is quick and easy, which is usually sugary and junk. That is why GI is great to follow, even if you are not diabetic.
  • jbosey
    jbosey Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    This is the old story about race between the tortoise and the hare...ever heard it? I would be willing to bet that if you follow losing about 2 lbs per week by limiting calories and some walking, you will have lost a lot more in a 6 month period than your two friends. I dont care who you are, after less than a month they will be off their salad-a-day DIET and gaining it all back, plus some, and you will still be losing it each week. My idea is that I dont need a temporary solution, I need a long term solution and eating a salad a day and starving myself would be very temporary.
  • corrinepruitt
    Options
    Thanks you for your info!