Vegetarian Baked Eggrolls

Options
These mock egg rolls really satisfy my craving for the deep-fried real thing. I actually had 3 of these for dinner last night. Mmm!

Baked “Egg Rolls”
Makes 4 egg rolls

Ingredients:
4 sheets spring roll rice paper
1 Carrot, finely chopped
½ cabbage, roughly chopped
2 green onions/scallions, finely chopped
½ cup mushrooms, finely chopped
1 clove of garlic, minced
3 tbsp soy sauce (or fish sauce for a more thai taste)
Pinch of sugar or Splenda’
1 ½ tbsp olive oil
2 pinches grated or powdered ginger
Pinch Sesame seeds (optional)

Cook:
- Preheat oven to 400 degree F.
*Filling*
- In a large skillet or wok heat oil over a medium-high heat. Add garlic, onions, mushrooms and carrots. Cook for 3 min.
- Stir in the cabbage and 1 tbsp of the soy sauce. Cook until cabbage is soft and reduced in size. About 5-8 min.
- Remove cabbage mixture from heat and set aside.
*Dipping Sauce*
- In a separate bowl, mix together 2 tbsp soy sauce, sugar/splenda, ginger, and sesame seeds. And that’s it!

Preparing rice paper and wrapping:
I could try to explain it…but other people have already done a better job and taken pics. I suggest this site http://vegetarian.about.com/od/cookingtipstools/ss/Howtospringroll.htm

Baking:
Brush the egg rolls with the remaining olive oil and place them on a cookie sheet. Bake until they are crisp and golden brown. About 10 min.

Nutritional Information:
Serving size- 1 egg roll
Calories: 67
Fat: 3.3
Carbs: 6.6
Protein: 2.3

Replies

• FitnessGeek
    Options
    These mock egg rolls really satisfy my craving for the deep-fried real thing. I actually had 3 of these for dinner last night. Mmm!

Baked “Egg Rolls”
    Makes 4 egg rolls

Ingredients:
    4 sheets spring roll rice paper
    1 Carrot, finely chopped
    ½ cabbage, roughly chopped
    2 green onions/scallions, finely chopped
    ½ cup mushrooms, finely chopped
    1 clove of garlic, minced
    3 tbsp soy sauce (or fish sauce for a more thai taste)
    Pinch of sugar or Splenda’
    1 ½ tbsp olive oil
    2 pinches grated or powdered ginger
    Pinch Sesame seeds (optional)

Cook:
    - Preheat oven to 400 degree F.
    *Filling*
    - In a large skillet or wok heat oil over a medium-high heat. Add garlic, onions, mushrooms and carrots. Cook for 3 min.
    - Stir in the cabbage and 1 tbsp of the soy sauce. Cook until cabbage is soft and reduced in size. About 5-8 min.
    - Remove cabbage mixture from heat and set aside.
    *Dipping Sauce*
    - In a separate bowl, mix together 2 tbsp soy sauce, sugar/splenda, ginger, and sesame seeds. And that’s it!

Preparing rice paper and wrapping:
    I could try to explain it…but other people have already done a better job and taken pics. I suggest this site http://vegetarian.about.com/od/cookingtipstools/ss/Howtospringroll.htm

Baking:
    Brush the egg rolls with the remaining olive oil and place them on a cookie sheet. Bake until they are crisp and golden brown. About 10 min.

Nutritional Information:
    Serving size- 1 egg roll
    Calories: 67
    Fat: 3.3
    Carbs: 6.6
    Protein: 2.3
  • SableGrey
    Options
    OMG! I have been looking and looking for a cabbage eggroll recipe! I have had them one time when I visited Houston MANY years ago and LOVED them but couldn't find a recipe that matched what I had eaten. I'm not vegitarian but these eggrolls were so friggin YUMMY that I wanted them again. This is so fabulous! Thank you soooo much for this recipe!
  • DeannaK
    DeannaK Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    these sound fabulous.. thanks for sharing the recipe!

:flowerforyou:
  • FitnessGeek
    Options
    ooh, I thought that i should point out that the calorie count includes half of the prepared dipping sauce. Just FYI. :smile:
  • chantybear
    Options
    Sounds so yummy! Thanks!