Alli

Options
Has anyone tried Alli?? Did you get any results by taking it???

Replies

• jessica_2002
    Options
  • astarte09
    astarte09 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    A good friend of mine managed a walgreens..he said a woman returned it because she pooped her pants after a cheeseburger. He said that the people really like it other than that though.
  • mgullette
    mgullette Posts: 401 Member
    Options

I've heard of some bad side effects like the runs if you accidentally go over on fat...

I haven't personally tried it but I think I'll stick to a disciplined nutrition plan and P90X.

M
  • mgullette
    Options
    A good friend of mine managed a walgreens..he said a woman returned it because she pooped her pants after a cheeseburger. He said that the people really like it other than that though.

Yeah, I'm sure it can be effective, as it's a weaker strength form of an Rx medication for weight loss, but why risk it? Just because it's a diet pill doesn't give you the right to go eat cheeseburgers and think everything will be ok....

I'd just be careful and follow the guidelines very closely so you don't have any accidents!
  • astarte09
    astarte09 Posts: 531 Member
    Options

I've heard of some bad side effects like the runs if you accidentally go over on fat...

I haven't personally tried it but I think I'll stick to a disciplined nutrition plan and P90X.

M

I agree...nothing works as good as diet and exercise...plus that crap cant be good for you
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I read all the small print on Alli when it first came out. You'll find a lot of threads on this site from people about it and the general concensus is that the side effects aren't worth the money or the weight loss benefits.

What I read said that Alli was only effective if you took it in combination with a sensible diet and exercise. If you read into the studies....if you do the diet and exercise without Alli the only difference is about 6 pounds a year.

In other words--diet and exercise without alli and you'll lose weight ....if you diet and exercise with alli you'll lose the same amount of weight plus about an extra six pounds in a year.

Over all, I'd say it's not worth it.
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    basically it trains you to eat the right thing because if you don't you will have a consquence which is a possible mess in your pants. It is the OTC version of Xenical- Alli and Xenical do work because you must eat the right foods so you dont boo-boo yourself.

They even have a warning on the box or an FYI that says you should carry and extra pair of dark pants with you until you get the correct eating in order.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    basically it trains you to eat the right thing because if you don't you will have a consquence which is a possible mess in your pants. It is the OTC version of Xenical- Alli and Xenical do work because you must eat the right foods so you dont boo-boo yourself.

They even have a warning on the box or an FYI that says you should carry and extra pair of dark pants with you until you get the correct eating in order.

I really don't think it teaches you to eat right at all. What's more nutrient dense and filling- fat free, processed snack cookies, or a natural peanut butter sandwich on whole grain bread? Obviously it's not the cookies, but they won't make you crap yourself on Alli. The low-fat diet kick is a thing of the 80's and I wish it would go away for good. :grumble:
  • mrsyac2
    Options

I really don't think it teaches you to eat right at all. What's more nutrient dense and filling- fat free, processed snack cookies, or a natural peanut butter sandwich on whole grain bread? Obviously it's not the cookies, but they won't make you crap yourself on Alli. The low-fat diet kick is a thing of the 80's and I wish it would go away for good. :grumble:

No but if you ate a cheeseburger and fries you would crap yourself- But if you ate baked chicken and brown rice you would be fine.
  • mrsyac2
    Options
    me personally wouldn't do it I don't want to take any chances crappin myself Im to old to have accidents lol :laugh: :noway:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

No but if you ate a cheeseburger and fries you would crap yourself- But if you ate baked chicken and brown rice you would be fine.

Well there are healthier ways to do burgers. Shoot, a real burger with a real ounce of cheddar cheese isn't going to kill you if you eat it once a week. There's just no reason to criminalize fat. :laugh:
  • mrsyac2
    Options

Well there are healthier ways to do burgers. Shoot, a real burger with a real ounce of cheddar cheese isn't going to kill you if you eat it once a week. There's just no reason to criminalize fat. :laugh:

Alli just isn't for me- when xenical came out and I found out what happens I was like no thank you I heard and read some horror stories :sick: -- Then Alli came out which is a lower version and I still had no interest I rather eat what I want in moderation/portion control and workout
  • stfuandrun
    stfuandrun Posts: 106 Member
    Options

M

I agree...nothing works as good as diet and exercise...plus that crap cant be good for you

Agreed. I'm sure that since it prevents the absorption of fat that it also prevents the absorption of fat soluble vitamins. Not good.

Eating healthy and moving around is the way to go. :wink:
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options

You and me both Songbyrdsweet!!!

Studies show that fat is not bad for you, yet they are preaching to everyone about low fat this and sell the crap out of low fat and non fat stuff in the stores............

I find with doing what I am doing that fat and protein keep you full and satisfied so much longer than sugar filled non-fat and low fat foods............
  • mgullette
    Options

You and me both Songbyrdsweet!!!

Studies show that fat is not bad for you, yet they are preaching to everyone about low fat this and sell the crap out of low fat and non fat stuff in the stores............

I find with doing what I am doing that fat and protein keep you full and satisfied so much longer than sugar filled non-fat and low fat foods............

LeanLioness,

I saw that you are doing Atkins and have had great success. I too am a supporter of Atkins, though I don't eat red meat that often. I think that Atkins, though it received a lot of bad press, was a first step in the right direction towards clean eating mindsets and led the way for some of the most popular nutrition plans today.

Fat definitely is needed, and women especially who don't eat enough fat have dry hair, skin, and nails:noway:

Great job on your loss, and good luck with your journey.

M
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    For the record..................

I have been eating about 5-10 cheeseburgers with no bun every week with a salad and I have lost 30 pounds since December 29, 2008.......................

I eat cheeseburgers for breakfast, sometimes lunch..............always no bun and with mustard and mayonnaise.............

And a salad...................

I had blood work done on Dec 26, 2008 and my cholesterol was 236 and my triglycerides were over 700................

I have been eating full fat greasy bacon, cheeseburgers, fat on my steaks, etc................

I got my cholesterol rechecked at the beginning of February and my cholesterol is down to 168 and my triglycerides are down to 143..........

No one can tell me that Low Carb / High Fat doesn't work and isn't healthy.................the proof is in my bloodwork!!

Let me tell you that my Dr is ESTATIC about it..............
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    LeanLioness,

I saw that you are doing Atkins and have had great success. I too am a supporter of Atkins, though I don't eat red meat that often. I think that Atkins, though it received a lot of bad press, was a first step in the right direction towards clean eating mindsets and led the way for some of the most popular nutrition plans today.

Fat definitely is needed, and women especially who don't eat enough fat have dry hair, skin, and nails:noway:

Great job on your loss, and good luck with your journey.

M

I find that I lose more weight eating a lot of red meat.....................I get good quality grass fed beef for steakburgers and steaks, roasts....................

I also started buying nitrate and preservative free bacon and sausage at my local Coop.

I am finding that I am having more success at Atkins this time than I did in 2003 when I originally did it because I am eating grass fed beef, free range chicken, wild fish and seafood and if I eat sausage or bacon, I am making sure it is nitrate and preservative free...........

I also started buying organic, full-fat plain yogurt, gave up artifical sweetners (use stevia) and try to buy as many organic vegetables and fruits that I can afford..........

I would rather spend a little more on good quality food then to spend the money at the doctors office on office visits and prescription meds............
  • zoepane
    zoepane Posts: 209
    Options
    I tried Alli, didnt go anything for me, I even tried going over my fat limits, My Dr wonders if it like a sugar pill, and so its a head game??????????
  • mgullette
    Options
    I tried Alli, didnt go anything for me, I even tried going over my fat limits, My Dr wonders if it like a sugar pill, and so its a head game??????????

Alli is an OTC weaker version of Rx Xenical...it does have something more than sugar in it....
  • mrsyac2
    Options
    hey didn't the guy that came up with Akins die of a heart attack?

do what ever works for you i am not here to judge anybody everyone is different what may work for others may not work for me and vice versus-

i couldn't do akins,south beach, alli, and whatever else was out there that you had to buy a book or pills for- im not knocking those that do and it works for them either

as far as organic stuff i heard it is waaaaaay healthier for you so kudos to you for splurging on better things for yourself- my coworker has slowly started turning organic and is dropping wait im sure its because the hormones aren't being injected in the products/animals