HRM vs. fitbit

Options
I recently got a fitbit for Christmas and used it this morning during my Spin class. It was very easy to set-up and use, the calories burned seems to be very high to me (1,200) so it has me questioning it's accuracy.

Should I trust the results or get a HRM for the best 'calories burned' count ?

Would like to hear about others' thoughts, experiences and recommedations.

Thank you - Mark

Replies

• Kimsied
    Kimsied Posts: 232
    Options
    I am new to MFP, but a longtime fitbit user... Did you set your timer specifically to separate your workout from your total for the day? It seems most likely that is your total from midnight until after your class, new fitbit users sometimes get confused about this at first. I would be surprised if it recorded that for a spin class since it often under estimates for cycling (as far as I've heard from other users who cycle and/or spin--I don't). You can see the specifics of the workout by pushing the timer when you start and again when you stop, or if you forgot you can go to log activity and "create a activity record" and enter the start and stop times to see the specifics it captured for an activity. Since all that depends on your bmr + the activity it is hard for me to say since we are different, but the number does seem pretty high. (Especially given it often under counts cycling as it is a different motion than walking and running which is more what it is calibrated for).
  • NishaMisha
    Options
    I used to have a fitbit and since it doesn't use your heart rate during exercise then it's not really a true accurate reading. It used to tell me I would burn 3000 calories per day, which I burn 2800 doing nothing, so when I added in exercise at the gym and walks around my house I easily burn upwards of 600-800 calories more, but still FitBit only calculated an additional 200 calories burned based on my stride, steps and movements during the day.

I switched to a HRM and have gotten better read outs. I have one that has a chest strap and everytime I work out I burn between 300-800 calories depending on what I'm doing. A huge difference than what FitBit was showing me.

Just my 2 cents and experience.
  • MDLNH
    MDLNH Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    UPDATE - I have decided to return my fitbit and get a HRM. I went with the Polar FT7 Men's HRM.

Thank you all for the advice and suggestions !!!

Good luck with all of your fitness & health goals in 2012 ... **Happy New Year**

Mark
  • Kimsied
    Kimsied Posts: 232
    Options
    Good luck with that! I use a fitbit and a Polar hrm myself. I think the two work well together.
  • UnderConstructionJ
    UnderConstructionJ Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Just curious...What is the benefit of using both?
    Good luck with that! I use a fitbit and a Polar hrm myself. I think the two work well together.