Running with bronchitis

Options
I'm battling a small bout of bronchitis. I feel fine except this nasty cough, sore throat, and my lightheadedness and dizziness when I bend over. I've been working through it but have noticed after my runs (I run indoors on my treadmill) my chest aches and it hurts to cough, breathe deeply etc. my question is, do I continue to run through it or slow down to walking? I'm currently doing c25k and my current run time is only 18 minutes. I'm leaning towards just toughing it out, but want some runners opinions.

Sorry for any typos, I'm on my phone.

Replies

• lml1042
    lml1042 Posts: 121
    Options
    Shameless bump :wink:
  • moylie
    moylie Posts: 195
    Options
    What I remember reading is if it's above the neck, keep at it. If it's below the neck (in your chest), you might want to take it easy, and get better first. Don't want to mess with gunky lungs, and over-exertion. The body needs rest to recover. BTW, congrats on doing C25K, it's an awesome program, and how I started running, too.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Bronchitis is not something to mess around with. Talk to your doctor, but if it were me, I would rest until I was actually fully recovered.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    No no no. Rest your lungs or you will do damage and even scar them.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 8,002 Member
    Options
    You will only make the healing process take longer by toughing it out. Rest and let your lungs get better. I'm not a runner -- I'm a mom, and I say, "You aren't allowed to play when you're sick, so come inside right now!"
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    IF you are not experiencing symptoms below the neck, I usually tough it out and just continue.
    It sounds like you are probably experiencing some bronchospasm following your run which is leading you to have more coughing and more chest aching. If you are unable to run with good technique, or without gasping or wheezing then you need to stop and walk or rest.
    Its a hard question to answer because its hard to tell from what you provided exactly how sick you are. I have run following pneumonia and in some ways it makes me feel better because I breathe deeper and clear things out.
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    You will only make the healing process take longer by toughing it out. Rest and let your lungs get better. I'm not a runner -- I'm a mom, and I say, "You aren't allowed to play when you're sick, so come inside right now!"

Love it! :wink:
  • Primalgal
    Primalgal Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I would not do it. Your lungs are having enough trouble just getting your thru a normal day! There will be plenty of time for running when you get over the bronchitis! Take it easy!
  • lml1042
    lml1042 Posts: 121
    Options
    Well I ended up running this morning and realized it was a huge mistake. My whole chest/neck was on fire when I was done and I had a really hard time catching my breath and I've been coughing like crazy since then. I think I'm going to take it easy as far as running for a few days, but maybe walk or do a light exercise video.

I'm trying to eat as healthy as possible, no junk. I had an egg with turkey bacon (ok, maybe a little junky lol) for breakfast and a grilled shrimp spinach salad for lunch. Any other diet tips to help kick this bug?
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    What I remember reading is if it's above the neck, keep at it. If it's below the neck (in your chest), you might want to take it easy, and get better first. Don't want to mess with gunky lungs, and over-exertion. The body needs rest to recover. BTW, congrats on doing C25K, it's an awesome program, and how I started running, too.

^^ I have heard this many times. Rest for a few days until the coughing/dizziness gets better.
  • ruby_red_rose
    ruby_red_rose Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    You should totally talk to your doctor.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I would definitely take it easy....walk if you must do anything, but resting completely is a better option. I would say definitely no running....bronchitis is not just a cold, your body needs rest, not over exertion. Feel better!
  • kodibear123
    kodibear123 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Please rest! Hope you feel better soon!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    You definitely should rest and let your body recover. As someone else said, this is not just a cold - bronchitis is an infection and a lot of your energy is already going to fighting that infection. Please also make sure you talk to your doctor about activity levels from now on when you go in for health problems.

Eat well, drink lots of water and take care of yourself!
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I think the pain and shortness of breath you are experiencing should tell you DON'T RUN. :wink: Start back up slowly for a week or so once you start to feel better. A little coughing is probably okay, but pain and shortness of breath, NOT. Feel better soon! :flowerforyou:
  • beeblebrox82
    beeblebrox82 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    bronchitis is not something to take lightly.
  • sidhe31
    Options
    Echoing all of the comments here, DON'T try and gut it out with bronchitis. Take the necessary meds, lots of rest and fluids. If you feel the need to take supplements as well, no harm there but exercise is out. Permanent lung damage and an increased vulnerability to respiratory ailments aren't worth it. I've been there myself and it's no fun. Be patient and allow your body to recover, then ease back in slowly.
  • vcsfit
    vcsfit Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have something similar I believe, started few days ago. So I guess I have to rest and also I am under medication.

Thanks everyone fo all your suggestions and comments!!
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    don't. run. please don't. wait until the inflammation in the lungs is gone. i've been there!
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Well I ended up running this morning and realized it was a huge mistake. My whole chest/neck was on fire when I was done and I had a really hard time catching my breath and I've been coughing like crazy since then. I think I'm going to take it easy as far as running for a few days, but maybe walk or do a light exercise video.

I'm trying to eat as healthy as possible, no junk. I had an egg with turkey bacon (ok, maybe a little junky lol) for breakfast and a grilled shrimp spinach salad for lunch. Any other diet tips to help kick this bug?

If you truly have bronchitis, you need to see a doctor and probably get antibiotics, and maybe steroids

I am asthmatic, and last year I spent 4 months with bronchitis that would lead to an exacerbation, which lead to bronchitis...and so on. I ended up on steroids 4 times in 3 months. I was also on antibiotics every single time!

Luckily for me, my doctor works with a respiratory therapist...over that 4 months we hit on a medication combination that has kept me healthy this year.