Ideas for Coffee Lover

Options
mello
mello Posts: 817 Member
I'm working on decreasing sugar intake. I LOVE my coffee strong but light and sweet, I've tried all the substitute sweeteners such as Stevia, Stevia in the Raw, Truvia, Splenda, Equal, Sweet&Low and I can't find anything that doesn't have an aftertaste. I also like to have some type of "creamer" in it and I'm wondering what do you put in your coffee?? Would love to have some new ideas to try.

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Just start cutting back 1/2 tsp a week on the sugar. After a while you will get use to it. I'm down to a tsp a cup.
  • scubaruby
    scubaruby Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I use unsweetened almond milk, 40 calories a cup. And truvia, which I don't find to have a nasty taste like regular stevia does.
  • nilima7
    Options
    I'd suggest the same as dls06, cut back on the sugar (or substitute) a little at the time. I never thought I'd drink coffee without sugar in it but I went from ~2 tsp/cup to nothing in about 3 weeks. For creamer I use milk. Either skim or 1,5%. To me creamers are now too sweet, since I cut the sugar, and using creamer that doesn't have a flavor feels unnecessary when it tastes just as good with milk.

Good luck! :)
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    How about a sugar free flavoured creamer? Coffeemate has a vanilla caramel that's lovely. I hardly need to add sweetener when I use it.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    How about a sugar free flavoured creamer? Coffeemate has a vanilla caramel that's lovely. I hardly need to add sweetener when I use it.

The s/f hazelnut is good as well!
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I'm ok with the Splenda; I'm always looking for a cream or half and half substitute. So far, the best option is a Tbsp of H n H and a Tbsp of SF, FF flavored creamer.
    It's my one daily indulgence..
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I put 1/2 scoop of protein powder in my coffee and a splash of skim milk.
  • eschwanda
    eschwanda Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    1/2 tablespoon agave (30 calories and all natural, no aftertaste) and nondairy creamer. I first tried a whole tablespoon of agave and it was too sweet so start out with a little and then add as needed.
  • Oplesandbanonos
    Oplesandbanonos Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    you might want to try flavoring your coffee instead?

by this i mean folgers makes a "cinnamon swirl" coffee that is kind of sweet already, so it doesn't need much sweetening at all once it's brewed. i add just a splash of half and half and one packet of sweet n low and it's perfect.
  • MLeigh18
    MLeigh18 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Almond milk- original.

It's sweet, it's liquid.

it's the ****. I use it in my coffee.
  • dixonkk
    Options
    I love Coffeemate. My favorites are Peppermint Mocha and Vanilla Latte. Only 60 calories for 4 tsp!
  • JamesBC78
    JamesBC78 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I bought a Keurig and use K-Cups - Flavored coffee and only 2 calories. Don't put anything in it.
  • ashleynicoleb
    ashleynicoleb Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Try flavored almond milk! I love it so much.
  • janna674
    janna674 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I do Vanilla Caramel Coffee mate! love it!
  • khk2010
    khk2010 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I actually use fat free half and half. Sounds weird but it is good. If you really need some sweetness maybe just use a little sugar in the coffee.
  • nmerley
    nmerley Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I cant stand black coffee and use to use tons of cream in my coffee. A friend of mine told me to try and sprinkle cinnamon on the grounds before I brewed it. Now thats all I drink. U can adjust the amount u use. Bonus Cinnamon helps in weight loss. Its worth a try.
  • april_beth
    april_beth Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    use REAL sugar and cut that down. use fat free half and half.
  • nmerley
    nmerley Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I cant stand black coffee and use to use tons of cream in my coffee. A friend of mine told me to try and sprinkle cinnamon on the grounds before I brewed it. Now thats all I drink. U can adjust the amount u use. Bonus Cinnamon helps in weight loss. Its worth a try.
  • april_beth
    april_beth Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    i LOVE the cinnamon adding to the grounds...i have a keurig but i love that idea!
  • ste6542
    Options
    i switched to the splenda essentials with b vitamins with my coffee. it seems to be just sweet enough,and your getting some B vitamins with it!