Extremely Paranoid single mommy question…

odusgolp
odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
I just moved into a third floor apartment with my 5 year old. We do not have a land line, and depending on the answers here, may or may not get one (I’d prefer not to have one).

The other day, I locked myself out of the building with my dog for hours. Luckily, my son was not home. But this got me thinking… What if I lose consciousness (I have a health problem and randomly do at times), lock myself out, or have a damn heart attack or slip in the tub and crack my head (told you – paranoid).

Is there any sort of button more geared to a simple 911 call that can be installed that he can push in case of an emergency? He knows how to call 911, but I only have a cell phone. I know there are amped up programs like ADT, but I don’t want a full-fledged security system, nor do I really want a land line to be honest.

Just curious if someone knows of a simple solution. Everything I’ve found is less “simple” than I’d like. All I want is a "I've fallen and I can't get up" button...

Replies

• MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    That is not a paranoid question. I feel the same way when I am home with my son and my husband is out. We do have a land line but would probably dump it if we weren't getting a good price for the bundle through Verizon cable. That said, you can call 911 from a Cell phone. Most plans allow you to add a line for $10 per month, you could do that with an additional cell phone that just always stays in the same place, like on the kitchen counter.
  • kim_mc
    kim_mc Posts: 321 Member
    We keep our landline. I'm not going to buy my kids their own cell phone until they're older so I feel that if his dad calls or the school or there is an emergency, we should have a landline. I guess these people could call my cell phone, I just like that if his dad calls, he can call the house to talk to my son. And when my son is old enough to stay home alone he will have a phone available to him without me having to give him a cell phone.
    I'm thinking though that pretty soon we will see kindergarten kids running around with phones. Guess I'm just getting old :)
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    I do know some states require phone jacks for land lines to have a dial tone, allowing you to call 911, even without setting up your phone number. I'm assuming your apartment is equipped with a land line phone jack. You could call your local phone company and ask if this is the case. Then, all you'd need is a land line phone hooked up to the jack. The only number you could dial would be 911.

I googled for more info and found this list. I checked the list, and even though they're not sure they have the right states, it doesn't look like yours is on it. Still, a call to your phone company might help.

http://news.consumerreports.org/electronics/2009/05/update-about-911-and-disconnected-landlines.html
  • AudgePaudge
    AudgePaudge Posts: 537 Member
    Check out the Life Alert. lifealert.com
  • Shanna_Inc86
    Shanna_Inc86 Posts: 781 Member
    I don't think you're paranoid...I thought the same things when it was just me & my daughter.

I don't think a prepaid phone kept in the house for just that type of emergency would be a bad idea. I know I'll be buying my daughter her own cell phone in a couple years (start with just a very cheap basic one)
  • MochaBlues
    MochaBlues Posts: 197 Member
    Perhaps, the most economical choice may be just to get a prepaid phone in anticipation for such emergencies. EVEN if your minutes are used up, you'll always be able to call "911".
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    What about getting an emergency only trak or go phone for your son? you can buy phones for like $20. I've never had one... but I think that the minutes are good for like a year, and not horribly expensive with AT & T
  • ProudDaddy
    ProudDaddy Posts: 80 Member
    try plugging in a phone and see if 911 works..it should work for emergencys
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Any cell phone, even an inactive phone, can dial 911 (I believe it's a federal requirement.) So, buy a cheap cell phone to keep in the house. You don't have to activate it, or have minutes for it.
  • Munque
    Munque Posts: 123
    My kids get cell phones when they turn 12, before my oldest turned 12, we always had a land line, for just in cases. Now, me and my husband both have a cell, my oldest daughter and my oldest son have a cell. But I think that a seperate simple emergency cell phone wouldn't be such a bad idea, and program only our numbers and emergency numbers.

I'm glad you're paranoid, you've given me something to think about.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Wow, I seriously never thought about an extra cell for that - but very good point! I will also borrow someone's phone (I don't own a standard phone) and see if I can get a dial tone - another fantastic idea!!

Checking out the links posted as well. Thanks y'all :)
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Get a friend or relative to check up on you daily. Your Mom? They usually love to do stuff like that :wink:
  • vaderandbill
    vaderandbill Posts: 1,063 Member
    They make cell phones for kids that can only call a few numbers that you program in (they don't even had key pads). I haven't looked into them in a while but I know major carries all had them.
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Check out the Life Alert. lifealert.com

If you are seriously that worried, I would suggest this, too. It's marketed to older people so they can simply press a button for help if they should fall and get injured, etc. But you could get it and teach the kids to use I would think...
  • verizon has simple phones for kids that basically have two buttons, one for their parents and one for emergency. again its 10 bucks a month.
  • empc
    empc Posts: 88 Member
    There iare medical alert lines. You carry it with you at all times; push the button if you fall etc. You can teach your son to do it. It dials 911 automatically.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    A land line gives the 911 operator an address, I think. Do cell phones do the same thing? I'm thinking your 5 year-old would need to give a location if using a cell phone, but the land line would do that for him. Am I right about that?
  • MamaBear57
    MamaBear57 Posts: 336 Member
    Do you have wi fi or a hardline? I suppose it does not matter anymore. MagicJack has a cheap phone service that would provide you a landland but not a bill (once a yr billing) It can plug into your computer or the wall now. Just a thought. I feel the same way.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Absolute cheapest thing to do would be plug in a phone into your landline phone jack or get a used cell phone. Landline phones should be able to dial 911 even without you having paid for service. And cell phones should also be able to dial 911 even if you do not have a cell phone plan. Battered women's shelters actually sometimes take donations of old used cell phones b/c they can hand them out to the women so they can call 911 if needed, even though there are no minutes on the phone.
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    I am relieved to know I'm not the only one that worries about this! I think about car accidents too where I'm injured and can't call police. Ugh! Okay!
    Make sure you teach him your names and addresses too. Because with cell phones they can only approximate your location. If you live in a complex, that's a lot of time door knocking before they can find you.