Cardio or Weights First

Options
I was curious to know which should come first...Cardio or Weights. Which is the most beneficial for losing weight yet increasing muscle and toning? AND how long do people suggest to do cardio for? I have heard anywhere from 20 to 60min. I used to be a "gung ho" cardio queen and could run 10miles a day...but I cant do it anymore and don't want to!!! But i do want to lose a few pounds without spending hours at the gym. Any advice is appreciated!:smile:

Replies

• dhutch33
    Options
    I was curious to know which should come first...Cardio or Weights. Which is the most beneficial for losing weight yet increasing muscle and toning? AND how long do people suggest to do cardio for? I have heard anywhere from 20 to 60min. I used to be a "gung ho" cardio queen and could run 10miles a day...but I cant do it anymore and don't want to!!! But i do want to lose a few pounds without spending hours at the gym. Any advice is appreciated!:smile:
  • jelee18
    Options
    When I get to the gym I prefer to end with cardio. I spend about 30-45 mins circuit training and wrap up with 15-30 mins of cardio. On days that I'm not incorporating weights I try to do at least 30 mins of cardio. I find ending with cardio to be a great way to stretch everything out after using weights and I find my weight lifting is more effective if I do that before tiring myself out with cardio.
  • chandhole
    Options
    When I get to the gym I prefer to end with cardio. I spend about 30-45 mins circuit training and wrap up with 15-30 mins of cardio. On days that I'm not incorporating weights I try to do at least 30 mins of cardio. I find ending with cardio to be a great way to stretch everything out after using weights and I find my weight lifting is more effective if I do that before tiring myself out with cardio.

I totally agree with this.:smile:

I think circuit training is the best way to burn up the fat and calories. Throwing cardio in for a minute or two in between weight exercises is an excellent way to keep the heart rate up which is going to get you the best caloric burn in your workout time frame. You want to have all your strength for the circuit training, if there's anything left in the tank then hit up the cardio, but don't over do it.

If I'm only doing cardio then I go for 30-60 mins. I like to keep whatever I'm doing within an hour.

Don't forget a recovery drink after to ensure you're good to go tomorrow!:drinker:
  • MattySparky
    Options
    I wear a hrm... I run for 25 minutes first and then I do my weights... the reason is simple... by doing it this way I keep my heart rate up and count the calories burned while lifting too so I dont shut off my hrm. I find I've been getting really good results this way too. My lifting is between 20-30 minutes of moderate lifting with a heavy ending . Works for me.
  • crosstitcher0563
    Options
    Hi :flowerforyou:
    I do 6 arm exercises with free weights before I do my cardio. I was told that it would help increase my heart rate while doing cardio. I have no idea if this is true, but I like doing it this way.
  • trritchie
    Options
    I usally put my weight lifting in the middle, I do some form of cardio for 15-30 min, then do my weight training for about 20 minutes, then finish up with 20-30 minutes of cardio, this way i get my heart rate up, then be able to catch my breath while keeping my heart rate up, and then i like to finish off with cardio cuz it makes me feel like ive worked really hard.
  • moniike1
    Options
    hi i am kinda new to this website, and i like it! I am doing straight cardio i do treadmill 30 min eliptical 15-25 min and sometimes spinning 45 min 2-3 times a week. I feel pretty good, but iam not sure if i am doing things right i am not sure i am eating enough. 1 day i burned 1003 calories and ingested right at 1200 i am only eating when my body tells me to eat. any ideas ???
  • kimbey76
    kimbey76 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I always like to do some stretches, then 30-45 minutes of cardio, running or the elliptical are my faves, then my muscles are all warmed up for the weights, after that I finish off with some stretching and some yoga/pilates moves.... my ideal workout :)
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    ideal is to do a 5 minute cardio warm up, then weight training, then your usual cardio warm up.
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    I do a short but intense cardio workout first, then strength training. For me, it get the blood pumping and I am then eager to hit the weights. No, I do not feel tired or a lack of energy doing it this way. My progress has been very good so far. I guess it is up to the individual. No, I don't think that the glycogen stores are depleted after 20 mins of cardio, otherwise I would bonk...I don't!