Lightheaded from Cooldowns?

Options
Last night after my day 1 of my Wii The Biggest Loser workout (only 20 minutes worth) I was cooling down and got lightheaded and tingly, like to the point that I had to sit down. Is this normal? I'm noticing that this happens often with cool downs, yesterday was just a smidge worse than normal. Previously, I had figured it was just kind of the same effect as the "runners high" I get after jogging, but this time where it was worse I'm wondering if it's something different. Does this happen with anyone else and/or is it normal? Any help would be fantastic! Thanks MFP friends!

Replies

• koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Daily calorie goal?
  • eellis2000
    eellis2000 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I would say look at what type of calories you are eating before and directly after a workout. I am not a doctor but it sounds like a sugar drop to me. If I don't get enough carbs and protein before and after a workout I get light headed and then I get a headache.
  • Kimmys012185
    Options
    My goal is 1610 cal/day but I've been averaging closer to 1800/day this last week. That day's intake was 1850 cals. It is very possible that its a blood sugar issue. I'm hypoglycemic.....so thats possible. Just wierd that it happens now haha! Thanks for the info!
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    My goal is 1610 cal/day but I've been averaging closer to 1800/day this last week. That day's intake was 1850 cals. It is very possible that its a blood sugar issue. I'm hypoglycemic.....so thats possible. Just wierd that it happens now haha! Thanks for the info!

It's not about total calories, but about carbs before your workout. Exercise lowers blood sugar, so if you are naturally hypoglycemic, then you are definitely at risk for a hypoglycemic reaction to exercise. Eat something right before you workout and it should get better. I'd suggest a mix of simple and complex carbs and a little protein about 30 minutes before you workout. The simple carbs will help keep the blood sugar up when you get started and the complex carbs will help keep the blood sugar up at the end of your workout. The protein will help slow the digestion so that the effects will last a little longer so you can get through a longer workout.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    It could also be that you need to..uh....slow down more slowly? Try either slowing down a little in the last minute of the workout, or going a little harder in the first minute of the cooldown. I will get really lightheaded if I go from working hard to just standing there.
  • Kimmys012185
    Options
    Thank you all soo much for the input! I am going to try eating something beforehand and cooling down a little slower....hopefully it works. Thanks again! :)