starvation mode- how long does it take?

Options
hey there guys, just a real simple quick question that i hope i can get an answer to

Ive been sick for the past three days, and have completely lost my appetite, Usually i wont eat anything till dinner (as it is made fo rme by some lovely people and i dont want to be rude and not eat it) and im just wondering if this will make me go into starvation mode. Believe me i dont WANT to, but i cant stomach a lot at the moment. Should i force things down, cause it makes me feel worse, or just wait till the sickness passes?

Thanks guys for any info

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I just got done being sick for 2 full weeks, keeping very little down. I lost 5 pounds and then once I started eating normally again I gained 2 of it back. So, just try to do what's best for your body. It's not like you can force yourself to eat when you're physically ill. Your body will bounce back.
  • Dashal
    Dashal Posts: 13
    Options
    If you're eating significantly less than your body's required calorie intake for 3 days then you will most probably go into starvation mode. I would try and drink plenty of fluids and try and eat as much as you can but don't force feed yourself. Listen to your body.

When you're ill you should just concentrate on getting better.

Hope this helps,

Dashal
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    This actually isn't a simple question - it's one that will spark major debate on the boards. I'm on the side that believes "Starvation Mode" is a myth unless you are already at extremely low BF%.

Just eat what you can while you are sick and your appetite will come back. I definitely don't believe in forcing yourself to eat if you aren't hungry (unless there are mitigating circumstances - ie recovering anorexic)

http://fitnessblackbook.com/main/starvation-mode-why-you-probably-never-need-to-worry-about-it/
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Your body may experience transient effects due to the illness and change in eating habits.

That is not "starvation mode" .

"Starvation mode" is not a myth, but it is one of the most incorrectly used terms in health and fitness.

Focus on getting better. Then ease back into your fitness routine. Your body will sort itself out.