whats the ideal weight for a woman 5'8?

Options
im currently losing weight im 5'8 and currently 150lbs but this puts me at a uk size 8-10 i must hold my weight well because if i was to try to get down to 120lbs i would look way too slim :ohwell:
so what should i aim for im really not sure?
iv lost 45lbs so far in the last 7months ( after having last baby)

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Don't know why you would think of 120, that's way too low for your height. Maybe 140 would be appropriate... it depends on your body so it's a personal choice. Just keep losing until you are at a weight you like, I would think.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Depends on your frame really. I'm 5'8.75". My goal is 140 and that would be pretty lean for me. I have a big frame.
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and my goal is 150... Maybe instead of losing more weight you could focus more on lifting and building muscle? Your weight may not change, but your measurements should shrink. (and that sounds like what you're going for)
  • LauriesTrying2BeFit
    Options
    yeah im pleased with my size now so maybe il just have to tone up thanks
  • Redfieldr
    Options
    I would say the ideal weight is wherever you look in the mirror and feel beautiful.
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    yeah im pleased with my size now so maybe il just have to tone up thanks

You should be pleased! You look amazing. :)
  • kseltzer
    kseltzer Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8 and started on here at about 155. Now I'm down to 137 and loving it. I'm focused now on building muscle and toning. I don't think my body will allow me to go much lower, my lowest weight was 135, but I couldn't maintain that.137 seems to be my magic number. Listen to your body and you will figure it out...best of luck!
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    im currently losing weight im 5'8 and currently 150lbs but this puts me at a uk size 8-10 i must hold my weight well because if i was to try to get down to 120lbs i would look way too slim :ohwell:
    so what should i aim for im really not sure?
    iv lost 45lbs so far in the last 7months ( after having last baby)
    The weight is based on BMI range: 130-160, and YOU must decide where you fit in this spectrum based on your muscle mass and how you look.

Don't be a scale slave.
  • berv0009
    berv0009 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I think you look great right now! I am 5'9" and 135 -- I wouldn't want to be any thinner! Now I am just working to tone up -- but it all depends on where YOU feel comfortable. But again, you look great!
  • peejie
    peejie Posts: 43
    Options
    I am 5'8" and I started at 150 pounds. I am 130 now and focusing on strength training to tone. I have been at 130 for over two months now, so I think this is probably as low as I can get. Add me as a friend if you want, since we have similar start and finish goals.
  • MercedesV
    MercedesV Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I would say the ideal weight is wherever you look in the mirror and feel beautiful.

AMEN!
  • _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9 and my goal weight is 140. That's just a number though, I really just want to lose some fat and gain some muscle, if the scale doesn't move while that's happening, so be it.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    You must carry your weight well! I'm 5'8 and 150lbs, from the UK and a size 12! 130's has always looked best for me, yet even then, at 130lbs, my smallest size was a 10.

BMI says 5'8 healthy weight is 126-163 (I think) so I can see why 120lbs would look way to slim, it would be underweight!

If you're an 8-10 I would just focus on toning/firming up, rather than losing as it sounds like you are at your ideal weight.
  • HoopoeBird
    HoopoeBird Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8 as well! The lowest healthy weight for a woman at 5'8 is 122 pounds, a BMI of 18.5. That is my personal goal weight because I was there just a few months ago. I now weigh 128 so I don't have far to go! Maybe make your ultimate goal weight somewhere between 125-130. You look great, though, so don't worry about it if you're happy!
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    you look fabulous in the red dress on your profile so dont worry about the numbers too much, I would just keep on exercising to tone up a bit / keep fit :)
  • LauriesTrying2BeFit
    Options
    thanks all think im going to aim for 140 has id still love thinner thighs :happy:
  • madisonsteelex
    Options
    My best friend is 5'8.5" and she weighs 127 lbs( naturally very thin) and she's trying HARD to GAIN weight. So I'd say 135-140 for someone of your height:)
  • tbw96
    tbw96 Posts: 2
    Options
    yeah i'm 5'8 and i'm around 145 lbs ish and i hold it all on my thighs, making me look quite chunky, i'm aiming to get to 130-135 ish
  • brennamathis
    Options
    Really depends on your frame. I'm 5'9", medium frame and very curvy even when super skinny, and have been everywhere from 120 lbs (size 5-7 us) up to 220 (size 20 us). I'm obviously too big at 220, but look like a bobblehead doll at 120. I look healthiest in the 150-160 range, wearing (depending on brand) a size 10-12 / 11-13. I have friends the same height as me, some look great at 120, some look great at 180. I *will* say...being taller has helped "conceal" my weight--I'm obviously a big girl, but most people have a very hard time believing that I'm 210 lbs and a size 18, simply because my weight is pretty evenly distributed across my height & curves.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    It depends on how much muscle you have. At my fattest, I was 142lbs. It might not sound that fat, but my butt and hips were almost as big a my bust width and my stomach was looking way too soft. Now that I've lost weight but then gained quite a bit of muscle I can weigh around the healthy weight range and look much better.