New heart rate monitor

Options
I got a new heart rate monitor for Christmas.it is a scosche which I believe my husband bought from Apple. My questionis this, I do Zumba via my Wii, and I use the information from mfp to calculate calories burned, generally it is almost 300 calories. I used my hrm today, and it is saying I burned 600....I don't know which information is more reliable. Does anyone else have a scosche brand hrm?

Replies

• litljoy2001
    Options
    the HRM I went thru the same thing and your HRM is more accurate
  • AggieHoss
    AggieHoss Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I dont have an HRM...but do have a Body Bugg. It tells me that I am burnign more than MFP does.......but I still use MFP so that I am hedging. Mine is not as off as yours though.

Hopefully someone chimes in that knows that particular HRM. Does it get good reviews?
  • TheAncientMariner
    TheAncientMariner Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I would lean more towards the accuracy of the HRM as well because it is basing off of something that it is physically measuring within you. Do some research on your brand (Google) to see how accurate it is in regards to calories. I just got a new Garmin 305 with HRM and the numbers it pulled down were well within the range MFP was suggesting for my runs. It felt good finally having that validated though. Good luck!
  • beckywilkeherbst
    beckywilkeherbst Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    The HRM is definatly more accurate. Most accurate if in the setup it asks for your heigh, age, weight, etc. All this is taken into account along with your heart rate to calculate the calories burned. The Wii is based of Met's and doesn't take anything into account except the energy that should be exerted for various activities. Best of luck to you.
  • beckywilkeherbst
    beckywilkeherbst Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    oh, mpf is also a general number based off your information and not you specifically. your heart rate is a good indicator of how hard your body is working and as mentioned before, with entering all the information specific to you, I believe that the HRM would be your more accurate bet.
  • abbysmommy7
    abbysmommy7 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    My HRM always runs higher than MFP. I just leave the MFP number in there though and document the HRM burn in the notes. This gives me calorie cushion....LOL