How do you keep from getting sick?

Options
Amy_B
Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
I really would exercise more if I weren't sick so much (cold, sinus, flu). I teach high school, so I don't think that helps. I think maybe I'm trying too hard...had sinus surgery this summer, get a flu shot every year, take vitamin C, a probiotic, a multi-vitamin, and L-Lysine. I aim for at least 5 fruits/veggies everyday. So...what gives?!? Any secrets???

Replies

• joeygirl84
    joeygirl84 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I usually refrain from getting sick by doing the following:
    Drinking LOTS of water.
    Trying not to consume much sugar.
    Getting as much sleep as I can at night.
    Trying not to work out in front of a fan... some how I always get sick that way.
    When my TOM is coming... I usually rest my body, or I tend to get something since my body is dragging already.

This weather really messes with me, so I have had some sort of sinus congestion for months now.

Hang in there girl!!!!!
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    If you don't already, try washing your hands. A lot. Using proper technique. Also, as a previous poster mentioned, make sure you're getting enough sleep.
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    i am one of those people that is skeptical that any products work, i don't take anything

however, my best friend swears by cold assist
  • CiciPorcayo
    CiciPorcayo Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Drink Super C... more stuff to build up your immunity. Strong stuff. My husband is the same way or use to be at least he got sick every year around cold and flu season and it usually landed him in the hospital. Bad immune system I guess. Until I went out and bought him Super C, and try zicam if u get colds to get over them faster :) Good luck and hope you feel better soon!
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Keep your hands clean.
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    Oh, I tend to drink around 96 oz of water per day. I probably do need more sleep though. I have been taking Emergen-C with OJ.

I think I wash my hands enough, but who really knows?!

Thanks for the replies! :smile:
  • Ashalena
    Ashalena Posts: 162
    Options
    Hand washing! Make sure youre washing long enough!
    Sing "happy birthday" to yourself while you're scrubbing your hands.
    I'm a maniac about washing my hands and I haven't been sick, not even a cold, in years.
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    I started going to a chiropractor for my migraines... and today I woke up with my first cold since August. I'm the type of person that would get every cold that went around, meaning I was sick with a could about 6 months out of the year. It's been 5 months now that I haven't even felt the slightest bit sick, until today. So whatever they're doing for my headaches seems to be working for other aspects of my life as well!
  • PinkPyrate
    Options
    i third the hand washing!!!
    other than that - anytime one of my coworkers or hubby start showing signs i start taking Echinacea and goldenseal to boost my immune system. so far, so good!
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I am an RN.. so I haven't been sick in years, because I'm constantly exposed to everything coming and going.. but I also exercise like an hour a day five or six days a week.. I also watch my nutrition closely, getting plenty of fruits and veggies, water and rest.
  • cwojo
    cwojo Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I work in a public venue and I believe that if you drink alot of water, eat right and definately exercise at least five to six days a week where you get your body core temperature up, this at least fights most sickness. If I do get something I continue to work out as best as I can as this helps with how long you feel crappy.
  • MaggieMay131
    MaggieMay131 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    VITAMIN D!!!!! It is the ultimate cold/flu buster, even moreso than vitamin C.
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    bump to read later :)
  • andy2486
    andy2486 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    My dad always told me that working out helps you avoid getting a cold. Not sure how much of that is true but since I seriously started working out (mostly cardio) this year back in April, I haven't had a cold since. That is a feat within itself since practically everyone at my work has come to work at least 3 days seriously sick and I live in Oregon where it has either been a couple degrees above freezing or raining for the past month. If you feel something coming on, try drinking some orange juice or start taking a Vitamin-C supplement. It can't hurt. Also since you are in an area of lots of bacteria, the hand washing or even carrying a small bottle of anti-bacterial stuff with you would be a good idea. Good luck!
  • laurastrait21
    laurastrait21 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    wash your hands, and get enough SLEEP! - so crucial! drink lots of water, and i sleep with a humidifier at night so i don't get too "dry" - it boosts your immunity.
  • cscheiern
    Options
    I usually take elderberry syrup during the flu season or whenever anyone is sick.Its supposed to be good against viruses. and it doesnt taste too bad.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I don't get sick very often, I don't take anything but I do get 8 hours of sleep every night and I think that helps.
    I am sure the exposure to highschool kids doesn't help.
  • pope369
    pope369 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    All the advice so far is good, but exercise is the key. My doctor told me that exercise (even a moderately fast walk) of 45 minutes three days a week will activate your immune system and keep you from getting pesky colds and flu. I've been following his recommendation now for the past five months and feel great!
  • TiffaniUT
    Options
    I get sick ALL of the time. I work with young children (1 - 2 year olds) so I catch every little bug that we have. Once I started drinking more water, eating healthier foods and exercising I haven' been sick at all. Since you're already doing those things already, I definitely second the getting enough sleep. That's another thing I changed in my life- getting at least 8 hours of sleep every night made a world of difference in my health. Also, take a multivitamin EVERY day. This will help you a lot as well. And, as someone stated above, try a humidifier at night. This will probably be your best friend. I woke up earlier this week feeling sick with a bad sore throat and feeling run down, and then I used my awesome humidifier last night and I feel SO much better. It's amazing what it can do. Especially this time of year when the air starts getting really dry, it will cause your sinuses to dry out and you can get a sinus infection from it. Try the humidifier- trust me. It changed my life.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    i must admit i sufferd very badley(every few weeks) with sinus infections and all that comes with it,,,but when i started losing weight and ate and drank like a saint i never had one for 2 years!!!! no cold,sneeze or anything...as soon as i start to pick and be naughty i start getting illnesses again...i sure thats telling me something!:drinker:
    and yes i will be good again come 1st jan :)