Craving Green Smoothies!!

Options
I started drinking home made "Green" Smoothies a few weeks ago and I'm in love. Now I crave them!

Can I drink too much? I try not to have more than 3 glasses a day but I'm not sure if that's enough or too much?

Has anyone else started to crave the smoothies more than junk food?

An example of one of my smoothies is:

1 to 2 cups spinach
1 cup frozen mixed fruit (pineapple, strawberry, peaches)
1 to 2 bananas
1/2 to 1 cup of Greek Yogurt
1/2 cup carrots
Enough water to blend.

Sometimes I add in 1 scoop of protein powder but try not to over do that stuff.
I also use apples, pears, and various berries from time to time.

Replies

• josies1981
    Options
    I have one every morning for breakfast and then my blender broke. I have finally got a new one and cant wait for breakfast!!! I would have more than one a day but im not sure having that much spinach is good for you lol!! X
  • iheartyarn
    iheartyarn Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    it's a lot of fruit, but other than that i don't think it's too much as long as its in your caloric budget.
  • Priincess_Natalie
    Priincess_Natalie Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I have one every morning for breakfast and then my blender broke. I have finally got a new one and cant wait for breakfast!!! I would have more than one a day but im not sure having that much spinach is good for you lol!! X

I wonder about that too. Can I consume too much spinach? I replaced my blender the day it broke! I can't function without my smoothies! lol
  • Priincess_Natalie
    Options
    it's a lot of fruit, but other than that i don't think it's too much as long as its in your caloric budget.

That recipe I posted makes about 3 servings so the calories aren't bad at all. I don't measure so I'm probably using a little less than I think.
  • Demwitted
    Options
    Sounds like Naked Juice Green Machine, which is quite delicious.
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    double post, sorry
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options

I wonder about that too. Can I consume too much spinach? I replaced my blender the day it broke! I can't function without my smoothies! lol

Is there such thing as too much spinach? Why would it be "bad"? I don't see anything wrong with having smoothies as long as it doesn't make up the majority of your daily intake and you are still within your calorie goal... Smoothies are one of the best ways to get lots of different vitamins, fruits and veggies, and even protein all in one meal.
  • pirate4hire
    Options
    I may have to bring the blender out to try this. Sounds interesting even though I'm not big on spinach (outside of a salad add in). Any other good smoothy combos that are a bit out of the ordinary?
  • txhunnygirl
    Options
    I drink one almost exactly the same every morning but without the yogurt. I love them and feel great. I have also stopped having to take a multi vitamin because of the amount of natural nutrition I get in my smoothies. I use a couple of handfuls of spinach and can't really taste it.
  • Priincess_Natalie
    Options
    I may have to bring the blender out to try this. Sounds interesting even though I'm not big on spinach (outside of a salad add in). Any other good smoothy combos that are a bit out of the ordinary?

You can't taste the veggies over the banana or fruit. Celery was the only veggie I've used so far that tasted yucky in my smoothie. I'm getting braver and using more and more greens with each batch I make :)
  • jplucheck
    jplucheck Posts: 275 Member
    Options

I use about 10 cups of spinach in just one of my green smoothies, I don't think u can have to much
  • jplucheck
    Options

Spinash really doesn't add any taste or the fruit mask it really well
  • jplucheck
    Options

You can't taste the veggies over the banana or fruit. Celery was the only veggie I've used so far that tasted yucky in my smoothie. I'm getting braver and using more and more greens with each batch I make :)

Kale is another good one to try
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I keep thinking of trying a green smoothie. the recipe I saw had a head of romaine lettuce, a pear and an apple. I am not sure how many servings it was supposed to be.
  • ckclontz
    Options
    Can I consume too much spinach?

Actually, yes, you can! One cup of spinach has 56% of your daily need for vitamin A, which is a fat-soluble vitamin, which takes longer to get out of your system. Here's where it gets interesting - overdosing on vitamin A (beta carotene) can actually cause a whole host of issues, such as:

Mild: Nausea, Irritability, and Blurred Vision
    Severe: Growth Retardation, Enlargement of Liver and Spleen, Loss of Hair, Bone Pain, Increased Pressure in Skull, and Skin Changes (as excerpted from this very informative site: http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/foodnut/09315.html)

I absolutely adore spinach, carrots, sweet potatoes, pumpkin, and apricots, and was shocked when I found out that eating these vitamin A-filled veggies and fruits while taking my daily multivitamin was the cause of my frequent nausea!

Absolutely make sure you get enough vitamin A each day, but do be careful it you go overboard with it, and pay attention to what your body tells you. Regularly switch up your smoothies to make sure you get a variety. If you're also taking a multivitamin, sit down and do the math on the percentage of nutrients you're getting from your regular food, your smoothies, and your vitamin, and you may learn that you don't need any extra supplement!

As for the kale, if you like it (I am *not* a fan - but my iguana sure was!), one cup raw has 256% of your daily vitamin A need.

Good luck and good health! :flowerforyou:
  • Priincess_Natalie
    Options
    Can I consume too much spinach?

Actually, yes, you can! One cup of spinach has 56% of your daily need for vitamin A, which is a fat-soluble vitamin, which takes longer to get out of your system. Here's where it gets interesting - overdosing on vitamin A (beta carotene) can actually cause a whole host of issues, such as:

Mild: Nausea, Irritability, and Blurred Vision
    Severe: Growth Retardation, Enlargement of Liver and Spleen, Loss of Hair, Bone Pain, Increased Pressure in Skull, and Skin Changes (as excerpted from this very informative site: http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/foodnut/09315.html)

I absolutely adore spinach, carrots, sweet potatoes, pumpkin, and apricots, and was shocked when I found out that eating these vitamin A-filled veggies and fruits while taking my daily multivitamin was the cause of my frequent nausea!

Absolutely make sure you get enough vitamin A each day, but do be careful it you go overboard with it, and pay attention to what your body tells you. Regularly switch up your smoothies to make sure you get a variety. If you're also taking a multivitamin, sit down and do the math on the percentage of nutrients you're getting from your regular food, your smoothies, and your vitamin, and you may learn that you don't need any extra supplement!

As for the kale, if you like it (I am *not* a fan - but my iguana sure was!), one cup raw has 256% of your daily vitamin A need.

Good luck and good health! :flowerforyou:

Wow, interesting. I do try to switch it up. I don't take multi-vitamins because of my concern for over doing it. I only use a scoop or two of protein powder a week because it has loads of vitamins in it and again, I don't want too much of a good thing.

Thanks for the helpful info :)
  • ajourney2far
    ajourney2far Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I tried the green smoothie this morning - without a banana since I had none. I used pineapple and the juice instead of water. I also forgot the greek yogurt - but it was still good. Next time I'll wait until I wake up good before making it. :) My son said it looked like snot. I have enough for tomorrow too - so I'll add the yogurt tomorrow. Wish I had bananas - I live 24 miles round trip from the grocery store.
  • gregavila
    gregavila Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    You can also substitute kale for spinach...
  • sunnyh7
    sunnyh7 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I also recently started drinking them about a couple of months ago and they are great! I make mine a little different, without the yogurt and just for breakfast. It fills me up so much that I'm not even normally hungry by lunch time. Great, that you can have more throughout the day!! :happy:
  • KelleFlr
    KelleFlr Posts: 142
    Options
    I keep thinking of trying a green smoothie. the recipe I saw had a head of romaine lettuce, a pear and an apple. I am not sure how many servings it was supposed to be.

This was one of the first ones I tried with our VitaMix... kids liked it too, simple and I liked they were getting the romaine/green in it.