another water question

Options
So the recommendation is 8 cups per day. Easy.

When I ran my intervals today, I sweated. As summer wears on here, its hard to walk outside without being drenched in sweat.

So the question is, when running, is there a rule of thumb of water to add per exercise time? Just wondering given the earlier questions on drinking too much water.

Replies

• stahlight
    Options
    So the recommendation is 8 cups per day. Easy.

When I ran my intervals today, I sweated. As summer wears on here, its hard to walk outside without being drenched in sweat.

So the question is, when running, is there a rule of thumb of water to add per exercise time? Just wondering given the earlier questions on drinking too much water.
  • vanessadawn
    Options
    8 glasses is an average, and mostly based on a woman's needs. Men average more around 2 litres without exercise. It's really hard to drink too much water so going a few glasses over is fine, I drink probably up to 14 glasses of water a day and to no ill effect.
  • notoriousteaz
    Options
    I believe about 4-6 oz of water per half hour of exercise is about right. If it's really hot or really humid you'll want to increase that though, but not above eight ounces per hour.

It's best if you drink at least 16 oz in the two hours before exercise too :smile:

Drink after exercising too, that's also important :smile: after exercise, honestly, just drink as much as you feel you need. The only time you have to worry is during exercise...drink too much and it'll slosh around and be really uncomfortable in your stomach.

Hope that helps :happy: