Finally willing to admit I need help

Options
I've always been kind of skinny fat, meaning a little bit of a gut but not much muscle definition. I really want to start eating better and working out the right way. I've lost weight in the past but just looked too skinny.

So basically, I want what everyone wants, to lose fat but build muscle. But I keep hearing you can't really build muscle while in a calorie deficit. If I'm in a calorie surplus I don't feel like the gut will get smaller, which is my main goal.

I'm so sick of counting calories and wasting hours of my time at the gym doing cardio. I'm ready to take some advice. Should I try to lose weight and then gain muscle? Should I try to gain muscle and then lose weight? I pretty much know I need to start doing less cardio and start weight lifting more. And I decided I'm going to eat more naturally and cut down on carbs. That's really all I've got. Does anybody have any good advice on where to start?

TIA

Replies

• iceqieen
    iceqieen Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Start lifting. For sure. Gain muscle and stop worrying too much about the weight. You will tone up, muscle will weight as much as fat but look much better ;)

You can read this for inspiration: http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/06/13/60-pounds-overweight-to-6-pack-abs/
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Good for you, admitting you need help. Definitely hit the weight rack. Yoga & pilates are good for flexibility and balance, too.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Start lifting. For sure. Gain muscle and stop worrying too much about the weight. You will tone up, muscle will weight as much as fat but look much better ;)

You can read this for inspiration: http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/06/13/60-pounds-overweight-to-6-pack-abs/

Thanks! I don't worry about weight too much, but I need to see some sort of results or I love motivation, and the tape measure sometimes just doesn't cut it.

I think I might try out the paleo diet actually. Or at least a little bit. I eat way too much processed food right now.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    You can try to do what is called a "body recomp" which I think is where you eat at maintenance and lift heavy. Slowly, you'll hopefully lose fat and gain muscle. But most people agree the better way is to focus on one or the other (but you should still lift even while cutting fat). Whatever you decide to do you should be lifting heavy 3 or so times a week and eating 1 gram of protien for every pound of lean body mass. If you want to cut keep your deficit small to preserve muscle (like 10-20% below maintenance). If you want to "bulk" start with 10-20% above maintenance.

I decided to focus on muscle gain for the winter even though I had 10lbs or so of fat to lose.
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options

Thanks! I don't worry about weight too much, but I need to see some sort of results or I love motivation, and the tape measure sometimes just doesn't cut it.

I think I might try out the paleo diet actually. Or at least a little bit. I eat way too much processed food right now.

Starting to build muscle will help a lot with seeing results. Even before you start seeing it you'll FEEL stronger so you'll still be noticing a change.