The Fat Trap - NY Times article

melsinct
melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
This is somewhat of a lengthy article from today's NY Times but an interesting read on why trying to maintain after losing weight is the hardest battle of all:

"For years, the advice to the overweight and obese has been that we simply need to eat less and exercise more. While there is truth to this guidance, it fails to take into account that the human body continues to fight against weight loss long after dieting has stopped. This translates into a sobering reality: once we become fat, most of us, despite our best efforts, will probably stay fat."

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/01/magazine/tara-parker-pope-fat-trap.html?_r=1

Replies

• MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Here's an excerpt from the article and the root of the problem if you ask me:

"Nutritionists counseled them in person and by phone, promoting regular exercise and urging them to eat more vegetables and less fat."

If they ate more fat along with the vegtables and eliminated processed food, sugar and grains they'd be much more likely to keep the weight off. Not only that, but typically people that regain the weight go back to eating "normal". The same "normal" that got them fat in the first place. I know....I'm one of those people! For me from now on its natural foods, good fats (read animal fats) and lots of vegtables, I'll maintain the loss this time because there is no going back to "normal" eating for me.
This discussion has been closed.