breakfast ideas

Options
My husband and I are having a difficult time finding something to eat for breakfast that is low in calories and carbs!! Here is an example of what we have eaten...This morning..a bowl of cereal, some slice strawberries and a slice of whole grain soy toast...500 some calories and lots of carbs. That doesn't leave me with much for the rest of the day.

We are looking for some ideas from all of you of some healthy, filling, tasty breakfast ideas.
Help!

Replies

• rosigirl
    Options
    My husband and I are having a difficult time finding something to eat for breakfast that is low in calories and carbs!! Here is an example of what we have eaten...This morning..a bowl of cereal, some slice strawberries and a slice of whole grain soy toast...500 some calories and lots of carbs. That doesn't leave me with much for the rest of the day.

We are looking for some ideas from all of you of some healthy, filling, tasty breakfast ideas.
    Help!
  • amycakes812
    Options
    This morning I had 3/4 c blueberry Special K, with 1/2 c blueberries and 1/2 c skim milk. That with my coffee and FF half and half comes out to about 215 calories.
  • suejonestx
    suejonestx Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    If you like eggs, you can whip up a mostly egg-white scramble with sliced deli turkey and sauteed veggies. This plus a glass of milk or juice is filling, low-cal, low-carb, yummy and best of all, good for you! Don't forget to add a large glass of water!

To akah178...we had almost an identical breakfast this morning!!! Weird.
  • lose09
    Options
    Honey nut cerrios, 1/2 cup blueberries and 1 c 2 % milk is 285 calaries, also a smoothie 1 c water 1 c no fat plain yougurt and the frozen mixed berries 1 c is about 265 cals

Hope this helps
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

Help!

natural unflavored oatmeal witha scoop of vanilla protein powder, i/2 scoop of natural flax seed and a half cup of frozen organic blueberries (costco),2 cups of fresh gound bean coffee, 24 oz of cold clean water...
    gets the motor running nicely and very tasty
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    Today, I had 1/2 cup raspberries, 1/2 cup strawberries, 1 small banana (all cut up and mixed together), topped with light yogurt and 1/4 cup kashi GoLean cereal. Absolutely delish for under 300 calories.

Sometimes, I scramble an egg (or poach it--i have a great little microwave egg poacher) in the microwave, put it on a toasted english muffin with a little sprinkle of fat free cheese and a slice of oscar mayer ready serve bacon. With a side of V-8 low sodium, it's also under 300 calories.

When I'm lazy, just a bowl of cereal will do. I usually go with Kashi GoLean, but I have been known to have Special K red berries or BooBerry or Cap'n Crunch.
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options

natural unflavored oatmeal witha scoop of vanilla protein powder, i/2 scoop of natural flax seed and a half cup of frozen organic blueberries (costco),2 cups of fresh gound bean coffee, 24 oz of cold clean water...

Oh, I forgot about oatmeal! lol... I do the instant kind... Quaker weight control (extra protein) maple and brown sugar with an added TBSP each of chopped nuts and raisins. Or the banana nut flavor with 1/2 chopped banana and 1 TBSP chopped walnuts.

I have also had protein shakes... I have a vanilla cake batter one that is great blended with just about anything. I've added cinnamon to it, once tried adding FF/SF pistachio pudding mix to it (was ok, not great, but not bad either), I've added fruit to it. Back at Thanksgiving, I added pumpkin, pumpkin pie spice, and a little nutmeg. It was to die for. I have a chocolate caramel mix that I save for craving days. I mix that with almond milk and 1/2 a banana and 2 TBSP of peanut butter. It's like an orgasm in my mouth, my toes curl when I drink that one!
  • missjah0705
    Options
    Here are some of my favorites:
    Blueberries and yogurt
    1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt, 1 cup of blueberries (I actually buy the frozen ones and then microwave them a little to defrost), 1 tbs honey. MIx all together then add 1/4 cup of grape-nuts. For me it tastes like a treat and it's not a lot of calories. I feel satisfied until lunch time.

Easy omelette
    1 egg, mix that w/ 1/4 or 1/2 cup of egg beaters. Cook in pan sprayed w/ Pam or similar. When done add a few tablespoons of favorite salsa.

Banana wrap
    1 low cal/low fat tortilla, 1 tbs of simply jif or other lower cal peanut butter, and 1 banana. Spread PB on tortilla, place banana into it and wrap it. Very good! Can also slice the banana up on bread of your choosing and spread PB on one of the bread slices and make a peanut butter and banana sandwich. Both are fast, easy, and if necessary, portable for on the go.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

Oh, I forgot about oatmeal! lol... I do the instant kind... Quaker weight control (extra protein) maple and brown sugar with an added TBSP each of chopped nuts and raisins. Or the banana nut flavor with 1/2 chopped banana and 1 TBSP chopped walnuts.

I have also had protein shakes... I have a vanilla cake batter one that is great blended with just about anything. I've added cinnamon to it, once tried adding FF/SF pistachio pudding mix to it (was ok, not great, but not bad either), I've added fruit to it. Back at Thanksgiving, I added pumpkin, pumpkin pie spice, and a little nutmeg. It was to die for. I have a chocolate caramel mix that I save for craving days. I mix that with almond milk and 1/2 a banana and 2 TBSP of peanut butter. It's like an orgasm in my mouth, my toes curl when I drink that one!

I know it is a hard change but I cut out the added sugar oatmeals and maple and brown sugars sound like they should be a healthy version of sugar but they are really only more sugar, (I have cut out pretty much everything that has added sugar) and by adding the blueberries or other fruit that has sugar, you get the beneifts of the fruit and the sugar...so Sugar, I feel alot better and cleaner without the added sugar which is empty calories...and the peanut butter is a great additon to just about everything
  • rosigirl
    Options
    Thank you all so much. I got some great ideas for us! I figured oatmeal was a good choice..steal oat is probably best, right? Now I just have to make sure I cook it right! :wink:

Thanks again!
  • rosigirl
    Options
    That does sound yummy. Wish I could have peanut butter though but I can't...but thanks for the idea!
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    Thank you all so much. I got some great ideas for us! I figured oatmeal was a good choice..steal oat is probably best, right? Now I just have to make sure I cook it right! :wink:

Thanks again!

you can cook the steel cuts in a crock pot the night before but in general all that boiling and watching makes me wanna cut something...

quaker 100% (not the instant) is still only a 3 minute nuke in the microwave
    diced and sliced apple in the oats is good too