plank, how long can you do it?

Options

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    How long can you hold your plank? (on your elbows with great form) just curious. I heard the world record was recently set by a 71 year old woman at 37 minutes!

<Randall Graves from Clerks> 37?! In a ROW!? </ Randall Graves from Clerks> :noway:

I never timed myself beyond one minute. I'm sure I could go longer, but probably not beyond two minutes.
  • Smelerz
    Smelerz Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I can do it for 1min 45sec with nothing against my feet. the lady that did it for 37min was against a wall. Still very impressive.
  • gazz777
    gazz777 Posts: 722
    Options
    The gals are winning me thinks !
  • c2sky
    c2sky Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I can do 5+ minutes, but I usually give up before that due to boredom, not because I can't hold it anymore. I have a seriously short attention span so I try to keep my reps/times for exercises as low as possible.
    I would LOVE an attention span of 5 minutes.

My Physio wants me to take longer doing my prescribed exercises.

Sloooooow music sometimes helps. Must ... focus ... on .... thread .... topic.

oh, I just saw you put sLow music. For a moment, I was super excited and thought you put sHow music. So rare to find a guy that likes that!
  • c2sky
    Options
    The world plank record is actually held by George Hood (54) at 1hr 22:

Video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1w-uD-uPCBQ

Well, maybe she held world record for women? I'll have to check. I read it in Runner's World.
  • c2sky
    Options
    After reading this post everyone at the house tried it lol. 5 min 34 seconds!

Am I safe in saying you hold the MFP record? A few others mentioned they can go longer than 5. So let's see who can break the record.

More importantly I wanna know how many people can reach a goal of a new plank personal record.
  • c2sky
    Options
    Oh, and a kid at our high school went 16 minutes...small town, small school. Surely there is someone out there who wants to pursue that?
  • flausa
    flausa Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Well, I finally got around to testing myself today. 4 minutes before I surrendered, and then I immediately thought, why couldn't I push for just a little bit longer. So, you've given me a new fitness goal for 2012.
  • beautyreaps
    Options
    5 minutes and 40 seconds, so close to that 6 minute mark! I think I'll make that my new fitness goal. Thanks for the inspiration.
  • swillis21
    swillis21 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    1:04
    lol, no record, but I have something to work on!
  • 2fit4fat
    2fit4fat Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    WOW!! way to go lady! the longest i did it was about 2 minutes 10 seconds (but i dont like it because the fat hangs off my belly haha) anywho i had a timer and was determined to beat it but i swear i just about died!
  • c2sky
    Options
    Well, I finally got around to testing myself today. 4 minutes before I surrendered, and then I immediately thought, why couldn't I push for just a little bit longer. So, you've given me a new fitness goal for 2012.

4 minutes, and one of my pals! You make me so proud!
  • c2sky
    Options
    5 minutes and 40 seconds, so close to that 6 minute mark! I think I'll make that my new fitness goal. Thanks for the inspiration.

Dang girl! go for it!
  • stubsy1968
    stubsy1968 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Yeah I can exceed 5 minutes (while chanting "happy place, happy plaaaaccee", the more you do it the easier it gets to go for longer... sure does burn. I can't do the side ones for very long though...

Really? Wow, well done! I can do 3 mins but will try next time to improve.
  • LolaGotThin
    LolaGotThin Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Haha like maybe a minute!! I get shaky after 30 seconds. I'm working on it!! It feels great afterwards but I'm cussing the whole time usually. :>
  • Nikki582
    Nikki582 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I planked for 94 seconds today (following Gazz777's challenge!) That's my record so far. :)

There was a plank challenge at my gym the winning male was over 7 minutes. That be CRAZY.
  • bunnysone
    bunnysone Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    on the final day of my last bootcamp I held a plank for 5 minutes :) Couldnt do it now, but it was documented at the time due to it being officially timed at bootcamp!
  • bunnysone
    bunnysone Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    (wish i was back at that level!)
  • JulesofWinsto
    Options
    The world plank record is actually held by George Hood (54) at 1hr 22:

Video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1w-uD-uPCBQ

WOAH WOAH WOAH

How bored would you be?! I hope he had some entertainment..
  • MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I plan on doing this later today...I'll post my time.