Recently diagnosed with lymphedema

Options
Just wondering if there are any MFP members with lymphedema? Or who know much about it? I am having the hardest time losing weight due to to fluid build up. I'm currently in a therapy program at a lymphedema clinic but haven't lost any weight. Just wondering if there are any success stories...thanks guys :)

Replies

• PWrape
    PWrape Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I also have a lymphedema diagnosis, I am in remission from Non Hodgkin's Lymphoma, but still need to do two rounds of follow up chemo. I thought that I just had bloat from the infusions, swollen feet, puffy face, but then finally got diagosed with Lymphedema.

I am doing rehab at a place that does manual lymph drainage massage.. they also have just taught me how to do it myself as well as suggesting alot of Pilates type exercises. What I've learned is a lot of what I had been doing was wrong.. in terms of exercise I shouldn't be doing weights.. or a lot of things that put pressure on my feet. Aqua aerobics and pilates are more beneficial. Also limite red meat, and do lost of fish and lean proteins. BUt a totally low carb diet doesn't work because then your body has to do too much work to process the protein. I also am doing some accupuncture. I am not that old.. 46, pretty active and totally type A.. so literally I had signed up for Boot Camp right after I was done with Chemo and was trying to eat like nothing. The glands in my arm pits were so swollen!! So as much as I HATE it.. the answer is likely slow, deliberate low impact exercise.. and realizing that some of my weight is bloat.
  • ItsGoodToHaveGoals
    ItsGoodToHaveGoals Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I've had Primary Lymphedema since I was 18 years old (now 36) in my left leg. It's proposed some challenges for me & I think it's part of the reason I gained so much weight. I couldn't be physically active without a lot of grief. Summer time/heat makes it worse for me and since it's my leg it gets cumbersome and I get tired. However, I reached a point that I was letting my health keep me from being healthy.
    I'm not really sure what my ideal weight should be since the swelling in my leg fluctuates and it's definately holding extra weight. I do what I can to be physical, walking the dogs, some gym exercises, a little Jillian Michaels. I tried Insanity but it's too tough on my leg. I wound up adapting a lot of exercises.
    Unfortunately, since it's in my leg, I find that if I work out after work & shower, I have to wrap up my leg and stay off it a bit in order to let the swelling go back down. It's kind of a bummer since I'm off at 3 and done with all that by 5. Sometimes I feel my evening is wasted by needing to take care of my leg.
    I'm blessed to have the rest of my health though :)
  • jtalbit
    Options
    I want to give you hope though I don't know how severe your case is. I also have Primary Lymphedema of both my legs combined with lipodema. I am 45 and was diagnosed when I was in my 30's. I am extremely active because I absolutely love how exercise makes me feel. I too pay the price for doing high-impact aerobic activities, including Zumba and Insanity, but I still do them. I have found that the leg compression blankets similar to what they put on you in the hospital work great for me. I can bring the swelling down in my legs very quickly with minimal draining massage. I am not so religious about the draining. I encourage you to try these, I also switch it up and wear my leggings (chip pads) on alternate days. You can order them from Hammer Schlemmer check out their website: http://www.hammacher.com/Search/Default.aspx?query=massage boots. The item is called The circulation impoving leg wraps $199. The newest one I received runs longer and is cheaper but there are more tubes. I order that through Amazon It was through a private company The Value Emporium - Item called Deluxe Digital Massage Boots (Fully adjustable) I believe for $125.

Check with your Physical Therapist. I got approval and stamp approval after my Physical Therapist so the results I received. I found out how well I respond to this type of treatment when I went in for a surgery. I haven't had to resort for wrapping in a very long time so I am glad that I found something that works for me.