Frozen Shrimp- 2 Questions

Options
1.) I bought a large bag of shrimp from Sams club, figuring it was "just shrimp" and health wise it would be fine. Well, I failed to realize that it is LOADED with sodium (550 for 3oz,) IDK if it's less sodium AFTER I cook it or what. I've been eating it the past 2 days and am really struggling with keeping my sodium on track since adding it to my diet. Would you continue eating it or give it up?

2.) Do you weigh shrimp before or after thawing/cooking it?

Replies

• Heather2784
    Heather2784 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Anything pre-prepared is typically loaded with Sodium. Helps it keep. Kind of like back in the days of the Oregon trail, they packed the meat with salt. Lol. At least that's how I think of it.

And you weight it after. It loses water weight when being cooked.

If you're trying to watch your sodium intake, which I think it important, you should try to stay away from prepared foods.
  • Heather2784
    Heather2784 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Also, no, there is still the same amount of sodium for the most part. There might be some loss in cooking, but not enough that'd make a significant difference.

Also, just looked it up. Seems like shrimp, in general, is like the 3rd highest in sodium content on the seafood list. About 119mg of sodium per 3oz of fresh shrimp.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    There is not so much sodium in shrimp that it needs to be excluded, as long as you are also eating sensibly in your other meals.

If it's 550 for 3oz, then even 6oz is still less than half of your daily maximum recommended intake.
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    I do know that on my diet ( prescribed by my Dr. For low sugar, low Carb and low sodium) I am still allowed to eat shrimp, but no more than 2 times a week max, with loads of water to try to of set the sodium some.