Anyone crazy enough out there to take on a half-marathon?

Options
Hey guys and gals -

So...I've been doing the running thing since June and have done a few 5k and one 10k race. I've found that if I don't have some sort of goal or event...I tend to slack BIG TIME on my exercise, and that means slacking on the diet and then its a downhill slide! So...I was wondering if there is anyone out there crazy enough to think about a half-marathon? I don't think we'd have to run the same one, just pick races in our respective areas on the same (or close) date and then comment on training, motivation tips, etc? Although...if there was a race that works for multiple people it would be really cool to do it together and meet! Hopefully there will be a taker or two on this crazy idea...

Replies

• scubaruby
    scubaruby Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I just signed up for one today. It's on Sunday, May 6th.

I've done several half marathons in the past. But I also never run consistently unless I have a goal in front of me (and even then, sometimes I'm lazy.)
  • Sarabeth5
    Sarabeth5 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I'm doing one May 20th.
  • JodaNord
    JodaNord Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I think I am very similar, I started running in september and asi got closer and then reached my initial goal, I realized I need a goal too! So now the goal is a half marathon with a friend on May 6. I am excited and terrified all at the same time and as long as I cross the finish line still upright, I will achieve something I thought I never would! Would love to hear tips and advice like you!
  • gbsngrl
    gbsngrl Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Okay then! I guess I need to find a race in May....
  • Jedibeau
    Options
    I am signing up for the BMO Half in Vancouver in May. It will be my first half. The most I have run so far is 10 km so I have some training to do! Luckily my girlfriend will be training with me and she has done over a dozen halfs.
  • realredhead79
    realredhead79 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    <~~~ CRAZYYYYYY. I'll be doing my 7th half marathon Jan 8. Lucky me, I forgot how close it was while I was on vacation last week.

I've done one marathon. I'm training for my second in March.
    It's hard, but not like it used to be. I learn something new every race!

Good luck!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Yes, me!
    I'm going to run my first half marathon on 4 Feb - just over a month away, scary!
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I did my first half marathon in October, about to start training for my second half in May 2012.
  • Elzecat
    Options
    I'm doing one May 20th.

mine is either May 19 or 20...I guess I better find out which one LOL
  • ESVABelle
    ESVABelle Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    First half in April.
  • Renea_Kay
    Renea_Kay Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    i did one and died :sick:

Actually i did a couple 5Ks and all but i dont think i was really prepared...it was my first one....and i never want to do one again...it was horrid after the 9/10th mile ...but im so glad i completed it :bigsmile:
  • shasha_84
    Options
    Half marathons are the perfect race distance. They are long enough to make you feel challenged but not too long. I have done 4. Training for my first full marathon this spring :)
    Good luck with training
  • cuatesmom
    cuatesmom Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    i have done three...and love them! I recommend looking into the DIVA Marathon series...I just signed up for the one in San Francisco...they also have them in Florida, Hawaii, Puerto Rico and i am probably forgetting where else.
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • Elzecat
    Options
    i did one and died :sick:

Actually i did a couple 5Ks and all but i dont think i was really prepared...it was my first one....and i never want to do one again...it was horrid after the 9/10th mile ...but im so glad i completed it :bigsmile:

Not being prepared can really hurt ya--I had 2 friends who ran the same half marathon I did...I trained for 4 1/2 months, they trained for less than 2. They bragged that they did not need the same amount of training as I did because they were more fit...Both injured themselves and hated the experience...I loved it.
  • javame
    javame Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    HM for me in early May as well. I did one 3 yrs ago, super slow which is ok with me. Felt so accomplished after.
    Good luck! Find a good training plan and stick with it:-)
  • zippo32
    zippo32 Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    bmp
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    A half - sure!

I started losing in December 2010, started running in June 2011 and did my first half in August. I trained for the California International Marathon in December but had to withdraw due to injury.

The half is long enough to be challenging but short enough to not be grueling.

I just found this the other day - pretty neat site!

http://halfmarathons.net/