First 5k on saturday

LolasEpicJourney
LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,010 Member
edited October 6 in Fitness and Exercise
I picked up my race kit today! So excited!
I've heard to carbo load the night before.. What's best to load up on? My race isn't until 5 pm the next day.. Should I carbo load that day instead?

Replies

• for your first 5Km I wouldn't do anything different than what you would normally do for a training run. Don't mess around with what works right before an event, it can lead to some.... interesting... results, as I'm sure many others can tell you. Just relax and enjoy the run!
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Get plenty of sleep.

Be relaxed - nothing to worry about - it's not the Olympics.

Don't sprint away from the start line.

For me, running in the crowd (and the race day adrenaline) always makes me run faster than normal without it feeling like I'm pushing any harder than my normal morning run.
  • medwards89
    medwards89 Posts: 97 Member
    5ks really require no additional carb intake. I've only run races in the morning and usually have oatmeal and yogurt a couple of hours prior.

A couple lessons I learned from my first race( also a 5K): dress cooler than you think is necessary. Don't drink a ton of water beforehand, start off nice and slow and toward the back of the pack. Starting toward the front where the faster, more experienced runners start only makes you start harder and faster and blow energy. ENJOY yourself! You only get one first!!

Congratulations!!!!!
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,010 Member
    Thanks guys :)
    Its really cold out the past couple days so st this time I'm mostly worried about being able to breath properly but I'll do my best...
  • stayxtrue
    stayxtrue Posts: 1,186 Member
    good luck mate! 5kms should be a fair easy distance :)

Let us know how you go
  • JoanneLynn
    JoanneLynn Posts: 156 Member
    Good luck with your first 5K!
  • Jomalone2
    Jomalone2 Posts: 129 Member
    5ks really require no additional carb intake. I've only run races in the morning and usually have oatmeal and yogurt a couple of hours prior.

A couple lessons I learned from my first race( also a 5K): dress cooler than you think is necessary. Don't drink a ton of water beforehand, start off nice and slow and toward the back of the pack. Starting toward the front where the faster, more experienced runners start only makes you start harder and faster and blow energy. ENJOY yourself! You only get one first!!

Congratulations!!!!!

Ditto! Relax and enjoy, run your race and ignore everyone else. When you think you can't go any further keep going anyway - you only get one first and you want to look back on it and know you did it! Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.