Excercise and the Calories used

I look at a lot of posts on here from people logging their various excercises. A few things inparticular that I look at are the excercise itself, the amount of time it was performed, and the calories burned. I personally use a chest strap heart rate monitor. I look at it as, if I'm doing all this work to burn off excess calories, I want every last one that I rate. The counters on the machines are very in accurate. They don't take into consideration key things such as age, weight, and almost none offer a means to constantly monitor your heart rate. I guess for those of you that might feel short changed from working out for 60+ minutes and burning under 600 calories, you should! I do what I call "My Morning Cardio Workout" this consists of 22 minutes of running on the treadmill at various speeds from 6.0 to 7.9. That is followed by 20 minutes of Total Body on the elliptical at level 9 or 10. Then 20-30 minutes on the espinner bike. There are short breaks in between for cleaning the equipment and what not. There are two things that are going to determine how many calories I will burn. The intensity(HR) and the duration. The machines just don't offer any way of accurately providing you with a number that is even close to what it would be in reality. Also, on the machines I use it picks up the info from my chest strap and displays it on the display of the equipment so there is no need to grab onto the metal hand monitors. If you feel discouraged, don't! You can in some cases probably double the number of calories burned as it appears on the machine. What do you think??

Replies

• sandy2006
    sandy2006 Posts: 483 Member
    The elliptical where I work out always OVER estimates my calorie burn. Yes, I wear a hrm with chest strap. I do however find the treadmill UNDER estimates my running.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    I look at a lot of posts on here from people logging their various excercises. A few things inparticular that I look at are the excercise itself, the amount of time it was performed, and the calories burned. I personally use a chest strap heart rate monitor. I look at it as, if I'm doing all this work to burn off excess calories, I want every last one that I rate. The counters on the machines are very in accurate. They don't take into consideration key things such as age, weight, and almost none offer a means to constantly monitor your heart rate. I guess for those of you that might feel short changed from working out for 60+ minutes and burning under 600 calories, you should! I do what I call "My Morning Cardio Workout" this consists of 22 minutes of running on the treadmill at various speeds from 6.0 to 7.9. That is followed by 20 minutes of Total Body on the elliptical at level 9 or 10. Then 20-30 minutes on the espinner bike. There are short breaks in between for cleaning the equipment and what not. There are two things that are going to determine how many calories I will burn. The intensity(HR) and the duration. The machines just don't offer any way of accurately providing you with a number that is even close to what it would be in reality. Also, on the machines I use it picks up the info from my chest strap and displays it on the display of the equipment so there is no need to grab onto the metal hand monitors. If you feel discouraged, don't! You can in some cases probably double the number of calories burned as it appears on the machine. What do you think??
    I had to tweak my own numbers to account for moderate intensity but long duration.
    One must play with the numbers while monitoring weight to find that personal zone.

Every day in these forums somebody is sniveling about doing everything right and not losing weight...lol
    Some look for external causes to use as an excuse for what is there own fault usually.
  • ReverendJim
    ReverendJim Posts: 260 Member
    I have used a HRM and my Pro-Form treadmill estimates of calories burned are usually very accurate, or a little on the LOW side.
  • ReverendJim
    ReverendJim Posts: 260 Member
    The elliptical where I work out always OVER estimates my calorie burn. Yes, I wear a hrm with chest strap. I do however find the treadmill UNDER estimates my running.

Awesome! I just posted that too, about my treadmill. :)