Trouble with raw spinach/salads?

I've been eating raw veggies my whole life - not in crazily high amounts or anything, but as a kid we ate a lot of salad and I've always loved it. Hubby and I started focusing more on healthy eating about March and I haven't had any trouble until recently. For the last month or two, however, I've started noticing stomach upset after I eat salads. I usually have a combo of lettuce and spinach with various other veggies, and I *think* it's the spinach that's the culprit. Tonight we had a spinach salad (no lettuce) and I'm feeling uncomfortable again. It's not gas or nausea; it feels closer to acid upset maybe? Starts 30-60 mins after I eat and lasts a few hours.

Any ideas? I'd hate to think I can't eat salads anymore! Any tips are appreciated, thanks!!

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Are you washing it really well? That's all I can think of. I would try singling it out by eating JUST spinach a few times and see what happens. (Assuming the stomach upset is not too unbearable.)
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    what are your dressings?

try a salad without spinach and see if you get the same thing?
  • I've noticed it off and on over several weeks, so I've been able to narrow it down. Tonight it was a homemade vinaigrette, a lot of the time it's a fat-free Italian. I've used different dressings, different brands of spinach, etc, so I think it's just the raw spinach itself. I know raw veggies can be difficult for your system to digest, but is it normal to go from no problems to suddenly having issues like that? It's not like I'm doubled over in pain or anything, its just uncomfortable. I'm only 31, so IDK if that makes a difference... ?
  • michiganderrdh
    michiganderrdh Posts: 151 Member
    What about the dressing??? Or what else are you putting on it?

I know dark greens can be difficult for some to digest.
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Zantac. If you think it is acid reflux type symptoms like you were saying. Vinegrettes are one thing that can trigger acid reflux and indigestion.
  • michiganderrdh
    michiganderrdh Posts: 151 Member
    I may try a different dressing to see if that could be it? Maybe the oils?

I have IBS and have issues with certain foods. No so much greens but meats. Obviously, everyone is different but maybe go to a very bland diet (rice, oatmeal) for a few days and then add those things in that you have it narrowed to?
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    If you've tried different combos, and you're sure it's the spinach, just quit eating spinach! you can certainly develop an allergy at any time. I am very allergic to eggplant and slightly allergic to peppers.
  • Mr2Bfit
    Mr2Bfit Posts: 18 Member
    A few years ago I had a similar experience. I had lost about 30 pounds and was going along fine when I started to have problems after I had a salad. I went to my doctor he ran a few test and couldn't find anything that weekend I doubled over in pain my wife had to run me to the emergency room it turned out to be my gall bladder. If you still have yours you might want to see your doctor.
  • Spinach contain oxalic acids, to reduce the amount of acids in the spinach you should boil in water for 1 minute and discard the water. Spinach also contains oxalates which can interfere with the absorption of iron and calcium.
  • daphnemoon
    daphnemoon Posts: 216 Member
    I started having similar issues after I began eating salad (where spinach was the bulk of the content) every night for dinner (no dressings etc.) - afterwards I always had lots of digestive issues including gas. I was already predisposed to IBS etc. so it doesn't take much to start my stomach off. However, as soon as I changed my diet and left out the salads in the evening my stomach has (fingers crossed) returned to normal. I just assumed it was the amount of raw veggies I was then eating, it never occured to me that it could be the spinach so you may have solved that mystery! Healthy eating - you really are damned if you do, damned if you don't aren't you!!
  • HartsHeart
    HartsHeart Posts: 49 Member
    I always ate Broccoli.. raw, steamed, broiled, boiled... any way I could get it... I ate it all the time. Then in about my late 20's to early 30's, every time I ate broccoli I felt sick to my stomach... like you say... hurt, not really gassy, but just hurt.. and this would last for about 3 hours or so... Now, I am in my 40's....had my gallbladder removed & still CAN NOT eat broccoli... it really gives me gastro intestinal distress.... not gassy, but real pain in the stomach & lower part of the abdomen. So, it truly could be the spinach & it can become a problem, even if you have eaten it for years with no problem. Hope this helps... try NO spinach, talk with your doctor & maybe ask if it could be gallbladder related. Hope you find your answer. Best wishes for you dear.
  • momma_roo
    momma_roo Posts: 146 Member
    I would cut it out completely for two or three weeks. Switch to Romaine in your salads. Then try it again and see if you get the same results. I became lactose intolerant after loosing 20 lbs.
  • Lots of people have acid reflux from eating salads, if it keeps it up you might want to see your doctor. It can cause damage to your stomach and esophagus.
  • ttrussel
    ttrussel Posts: 99 Member
    I would cut it out completely for two or three weeks. Switch to Romaine in your salads. Then try it again and see if you get the same results. I became lactose intolerant after loosing 20 lbs.
    [/quote

I agree I became Lactose Intolerant after about 30 years! lol.... Diagnosed with IBS & Acid Reflux. I have to eat my salads in moderation.
  • Thanks everyone! Obviously, I had figured the easiest answer was "well, don't eat raw spinach then, stupid!" LOL I don't care for that answer since I LOVE raw spinach, but I'll go that route if I have to. I was mostly curious if anyone else had suddenly started having problems with a healthy food after years of eating it or after losing 20+ lbs and it sounds like I'm not the only one. If it continues or gets worse, I'll probably call the doc, but my MFP peeps are always a faster answer! :P
  • daphnemoon
    daphnemoon Posts: 216 Member
    Yeah, interestingly I had lost about 16Ibs when I started having the strange reaction to salads/spinach....I'd never had weird reactions to either before.....
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    I only ate raw spinach once and ralphed it up. I've never tried it again. It tasted ok, since it was leafy, but it did not sit well at all.

Cooked spinach tastes gross, but if it's a spinach and cheese dip, I'll eat it joyfully.
  • jluera
    jluera Posts: 7
    I love salad, but unfortunately lighter greens like lettuce and spinach kill my gut. I actually found that eating heavier stuff like raw shredded cabbage or kale is ok, go figure...I know quite a few people who have had the opposite experience. But my favorite salads are super chunky veggies w/no lettuce at all.
  • live4turns
    live4turns Posts: 314 Member
    Are you using prewashed greens? I try not to use any prewashed goods and if I do have 'em I still leave them in cold water for a few minutes and then rinse them again.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Thanks everyone! Obviously, I had figured the easiest answer was "well, don't eat raw spinach then, stupid!" LOL I don't care for that answer since I LOVE raw spinach, but I'll go that route if I have to. I was mostly curious if anyone else had suddenly started having problems with a healthy food after years of eating it or after losing 20+ lbs and it sounds like I'm not the only one. If it continues or gets worse, I'll probably call the doc, but my MFP peeps are always a faster answer! :P

It sucks to have to cut out things you love but honestly, it's better than stomach pain. I had to cut out caffeine after a really bad stomach ulcer ( that still flares up every now and then ) and it sucked! I love coffee and cola. BUT that pain (the kind when you're on the floor in the fetal position) wasn't worth it.