Have you guys heard of the myth...

or maybe it's a fact about thirst and water? That sometimes we confuse thirst with hunger when it's really thirst? I had a friend who told me this and she had started to consume more water when she felt "hungry." If you're not getting enough water in a day I could understand this, but is this a fact or myth?

Replies

• MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    or maybe it's a fact about thirst and water? That sometimes we confuse thirst with hunger when it's really thirst? I had a friend who told me this and she had started to consume more water when she felt "hungry." If you're not getting enough water in a day I could understand this, but is this a fact or myth?
    Oh, THAT myth - :laugh:

Yes, I have heard that and believe it.
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    I believe it is possible to confuse the two if you aren't getting enough liquids. I eat breakfast at 7:30am, then my stomach starts growling at 9am when I get to work. I just make some tea and I am usually good until 10ish when I have my snack.
  • Yeah I don't drink enough water so I try to just drink water if I'm feeling hungry. If I still feel hungry I get me snack
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,340 Member
    water has definitely curbed my appetite! I drink water all day long and I know that when my stomach is growling, I must be truly hungry.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    It's not a myth. Try it yourself and see. I don't think it's true for all people, but it's certainly true for many.

My own personal theory about it is that when we're infants, hunger and thirst are not differentiated. We drink our food for much of our first year. I wonder if maybe we have trouble separating the two because of that -- maybe mom hands us a piece of toast when we whine because we're not verbal enough to ask for a drink, and it perpetuates the confusion. I don't know.
  • alofay
    alofay Posts: 127 Member
    I am rarely under 20 cups of water a day and I can tell a huge difference when I am not consuming water! When I'm not drinking my water I feel sluggish, my weight loss is sluggish and I feel like I could eat a cow!
  • Maggie_Pie1
    Maggie_Pie1 Posts: 322 Member

I say myth.

You're stomache growls when it's empty, regardless if you are thirsty or not. Drinking water puts something in your stomache, and your stomache sends signals to your brain that there's something in your tummy so it doesn't need to growl anymore, and you don't feel hungry. It doesn't mean you were thirsty, necessarily, it just means you put something in your tummy so it wasn't empty. That's my opinion. Of course, it is possible that you were thirsty AND hungry at the same time, so drinking water served two purposes...
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Yeah I don't drink enough water so I try to just drink water if I'm feeling hungry. If I still feel hungry I get me snack

Fitness magazine put it well a few years ago ... when you think your hungry, ask yourself, do I want an apple - if Yes, you are hungry go eat the apple, if NO, you are probably thirsty, try water first.
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    I've heard that too! It has helped me at times :)
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Yeah I don't drink enough water so I try to just drink water if I'm feeling hungry. If I still feel hungry I get me snack

Fitness magazine put it well a few years ago ... when you think your hungry, ask yourself, do I want an apple - if Yes, you are hungry go eat the apple, if NO, you are probably thirsty, try water first.

I could always eat an apple. MMmmmMMMMmmm... apples. :happy:
  • I hate to admit it seamoan, but I believe in it also. Lol. Since Ive followed this myth pounds have disappeared.
  • mnwalkingqueen
    mnwalkingqueen Posts: 1,299 Member
    The trainers at my gym say people should drink their weight in ounces each day.

I think it could be both and agree with many people on here. I feel sluggish when not drinking water, I also eat small meals all day so I usually feel full all the time.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,689 Member
    I've had a doctor and a physical therapist tell me this (separately, without my asking).