Weight Watchers vrs MFP

Options
Just a question why does it work for WW to save their calories up for the end of the week. They are allotted so many calories a week. I know people who save some points till the weekend cause they know they will over eat and they are still losing weight. This isn't just working for 1 person it works for many. So why can't we do that on MFP

For example I ate 3000 calories yesterday (christmas dip) so now I am going to work my *kitten* off for the next 3 or 4 days and burn a good 700 calories a day and not eat them back. Why can I not do this

Replies

• Juliane_
    Juliane_ Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    You CAN do the same on MFP. On Momentum 1 pt = 50 calories approximately. Multiply that by the weekly points, 35 x 50 = 1750.

1750 calories would be the equivalent of your weekly points.

Say for example you want to average 1,200 daily calories a week or the equivalent to 8,400 a week.

You would calculate 950 calories as your daily allowance and 1750 would be your weekly allowance to use throughout the week as you would like. This would add up to the 8,400 calories a week (average 1,200). Similar to how WW runs their points program.

I hope I don't sound too confusing. It's all a math game to convert those WW points into calories and distribute the calories as WW points does.
  • tmt2003
    tmt2003 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    1 pound = 3500 calories. To loose one pound you need to have a calorie deficit of 3500. If you have that deficit in one week, one month or one year you will loose one pound it doesn't matter when or how you eat them... That's how you can do it to. Some people 'zig zag' their calories eat more one day, less another - they still ave a weekly deficit and still loose, it's the same idea.
    Teresa
  • RobinLoren
    Options
    I was on WW points plus and the leader always said that the extra points were so that you do not feel deprived. You do not need to use them and most people do not use them every week. They make you fully aware that the extra points are treats and you shouldn't expect to lose much by over eating every week. They just don't want you to feel like you can't eat out and have a treat every once in a while. Maybe you haven't had french fries in a while and really miss them. WW allows you to have some extra points so that you don't feel like you can never ever eat them again. A lot of people just feel good knowing that they can eat a little more but don't have to.
  • becky2967
    Options
    i use both, and find i lose way more with weight watchers than normal meals i guess due to the low fat. but 1 pound is, 3500 cals so if you aimed to burn 750 a day, and ate 200cals less than maintence thats 950cals aday burned.. so you could very easy burn of that 1lb within 1week. im not a fan of eating back exercise calories and if i do i dont lose weight. i try and get 200 below what MFP says and burn enough each day on top to lose my weight.
  • mrsdizzyd84
    mrsdizzyd84 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    As everyone has said, you can do that with MFP. I have done it on occasion. You need a 3,500 deficit for every pound you want to lose. It doesn't matter how you get there so long as you get there.

MFP will show you your calories for the week if you use the reports or the weekly tab in the MFP app.
  • jrbanta
    jrbanta Posts: 4,265 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    Did the WW for years and am a Life time member.

I like this program alot better and have been sticking with it since July 2010.
    I have made new friends and we motivate each other.
    Like everyone is saying you can use these extra calories if you want just like
    WW. Most people don't.

Good Luck in your journey.