Polar F6

Options
Okay. So I got this fabulous HRM for Christmas. Well, I played around with it for a couple of days and got all the settings down. After a long break, I finally started back at the gym this week anxious to actually use my HRM for the first time. So...I'm on the treadmill for about 20min. or so and happened to notice that the "calories burned" on the treadmill was WAY different than what it said on my HRM. At some point I looked down and the machine said 72 calories burned. My HRM said something like 130 calories burned. No way is that right, I'm thinking. So the next day, I try the same thing...got the same result. Same results all this week.

I checked all the settings on the HRM. Everything is a go and I've always let the HRM set my zones for me. What am I doing wrong? Or am I doing anything wrong? I need some reassurance that I am supposed to go by my HRM...right? 'Cuz that would be SWEET! :laugh:

Replies

• OomarianneoO
    OomarianneoO Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Okay. So I got this fabulous HRM for Christmas. Well, I played around with it for a couple of days and got all the settings down. After a long break, I finally started back at the gym this week anxious to actually use my HRM for the first time. So...I'm on the treadmill for about 20min. or so and happened to notice that the "calories burned" on the treadmill was WAY different than what it said on my HRM. At some point I looked down and the machine said 72 calories burned. My HRM said something like 130 calories burned. No way is that right, I'm thinking. So the next day, I try the same thing...got the same result. Same results all this week.

I checked all the settings on the HRM. Everything is a go and I've always let the HRM set my zones for me. What am I doing wrong? Or am I doing anything wrong? I need some reassurance that I am supposed to go by my HRM...right? 'Cuz that would be SWEET! :laugh:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    the HRM sounds about right. Thats about 6 calories per minute, which is probably somewhere in the neighborhood of an HR of, oh I'd guess, 55-60% max or so?
  • blackmamba886
    blackmamba886 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    my elliptical machine does the same thing. i always go by the HRM.
  • wilted6orchid
    wilted6orchid Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I would always side with the hrm. I believe it gets more of your personal data imput than any exercise machine wants to know about you. More input in should equal more accurate results.:flowerforyou: So keep up the good work.
  • Mom_To_5
    Mom_To_5 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    ok, mine does the opposite, my treadmill will say 100 cal and my HRM will say like i dunno 60, and i have also noticed that it does not record my HR properly after being on my treamill for about 5 mins it' still says my HR is only 70-80 which is what it was when i put it on, meanwhile i'm already starting to work up a bit of a sweat, or it will jump all over the place and once when i was running it dropped to lower than when i was walking at 4.2, so what gives? I so don't like the thing as it is all over the place all the time, any suggestions?
  • OomarianneoO
    OomarianneoO Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    the HRM sounds about right. Thats about 6 calories per minute, which is probably somewhere in the neighborhood of an HR of, oh I'd guess, 55-60% max or so?

Yep. 55-60% max was right. Makes me kinda excited to get on the elliptical again...kinda :wink:
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,117 Member
    Options
    ok, mine does the opposite, my treadmill will say 100 cal and my HRM will say like i dunno 60, and i have also noticed that it does not record my HR properly after being on my treamill for about 5 mins it' still says my HR is only 70-80 which is what it was when i put it on, meanwhile i'm already starting to work up a bit of a sweat, or it will jump all over the place and once when i was running it dropped to lower than when i was walking at 4.2, so what gives? I so don't like the thing as it is all over the place all the time, any suggestions?

I think you have your setting to show you the % of your Highest Target heart rate. For example. if it's showing 70 you're at 70% of your Target Heart Rate. When you are done do you view the summary for the amount of calories burned?
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

Yep. 55-60% max was right. Makes me kinda excited to get on the elliptical again...kinda :wink:

Damn I'm good. :tongue:

C'mon, that was funny!
  • Mom_To_5
    Mom_To_5 Posts: 646 Member
    Options

I think you have your setting to show you the % of your Highest Target heart rate. For example. if it's showing 70 you're at 70% of your Target Heart Rate. When you are done do you view the summary for the amount of calories burned?

no, i have it showing the calories burned and my heart rate so that is not the problem, thanks though, it just acts up all the time and i hate the thing, i just go by my treadmill most of the time, i paid all that money for the stupid thing and it doesn't work properly, it stays at the same HR for a good 5 mins and doesn't change even when i start running