bored with dinner

Options
i am so bored with our "healthy" dinners!!
i swear its, chicken and veggies.. chicken and veggies.. chicken and veggies.
anyone have any dinners they LOVE that dont break the calorie bank??

Replies

• capnwo85
    capnwo85 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Try a healthy omelette. Eggs, egg whites, salsa, avocado,spinach, low fat cheese, and veggies you want.
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    chicken tacos, salsa chicken, english muffin pizzas...yum yum
  • Nic620
    Nic620 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    My absolute favorite dinner is my turkey tacos! Yum!
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    i am so bored with our "healthy" dinners!!
    i swear its, chicken and veggies.. chicken and veggies.. chicken and veggies.
    anyone have any dinners they LOVE that dont break the calorie bank??
    Yea, that would drive me into a suicidal fast food binge for sure.

Maybe our diaries will give you some ldeas.

I need to eat and live well or forget it. I'd rather just be fat.
  • lisao62
    lisao62 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    try one of the many delicious recipes from skinny taste.com
  • floweringcurrant
    floweringcurrant Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I love a big salad with some avocado, brown rice, and a good dressing. Yum!
    I also recently made some delicata squash cooked with a little bit of honey and coconut/olive oil that I loved.
    You can make some really good sweet potato "fries," which is actually just baked sweet potato.
    You soak the cut up sweet potato in water for 30 mins, rinse, coat in whipped egg white, and bake at 425 for 40 minutes,
    periodically flipping them. Really good.
    Play around, see what you like!
  • wildrosekasey
    wildrosekasey Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    i love skinny taste!! why didnt i remember that just now lol
  • Katbaran
    Katbaran Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    A local grocery store here in Ohio has a product called Eggceptionals. Its 99% fat free and still real eggs, low in salt, and just has most of the fat taken out. It doesn't taste just like real eggs, but it does make a great omelette with diced veggies and cooked in a non stick pan with cooking spray. Not many calories and very filling if you put in lots of fresh veg and use low fat cheese like someone else suggested.

Salmon is also nice. Any kind of fish really. Just cook in a non stick pan with cooking spray and some seasoning. You can poach it in a little water with some herbs for a few minutes too. Baked is always an option. Roast some broccoli or cauliflower and put the fish in the oven for the last 5 or 6 minutes or less, depending on the thickness of the fish. Small servings of plain rice aren't too high in calories if you work it in to your allowance.

Get creative! I like to take unsalted cooking stock and add a ton of fresh veg and make soup. Pretty low in calories and you can add a small diced potato for some carbs if you like. Usually works out to less than 250 cals per about 2 cups.

Edit: Saw someone else suggested turkey tacos. Make your own seasoning blend so you can control the salt. The Hispanic section of the grocery stores usually have all the spices you need and much cheaper than the big name brands.
  • ItsLessOfMe
    ItsLessOfMe Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    yea skinnytaste.com for sure
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Why are you eating the same thing all the time, there are hundreds of things you can cook that are healthy and not too full of calories?
    For example, for me, tonight's dinner is going to be pasta with cherry tomatoes and seafood, last night was baked chicken with a variation on salad nicoise, the night before, chicken schnitzel and salad..... all under 500 cals.
    You can cook just about anything and make it more healthy - why not think about your favourite food and google "healthy recipe for xxxx" and I'm sure you'll find something good.
  • theoriginaljayne
    theoriginaljayne Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Vegetable soups, beans and rice, lentils, fish with brown rice and vegetables (salmon's my favorite), sushi, vegetarian pizza (Amy's makes a delicious no-cheese pizza that's only 280 calories per serving), salads, vegetable quesadillas (use a whole-wheat tortilla and little cheese), "breakfast for dinner" (scrambled eggs and whole-wheat toast), bagels and lox, yams/potatoes/squash... I could keep going!
  • RobinLoren
    Options
    Do you like tuna? They have seasoned tuna that is really good, I always get the lemon and pepper. Whenever I am tired of chicken, the seasoned tuna adds so much flavor to almost anything you put it on. I eat it on brown rice, with whole wheat pasta, with veggies, or even by itself. The seasoning makes it soo good.
  • ljbhill
    ljbhill Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I switch it up with baked veg, various salads, steam veg. I pair them with pork chops, steak, roasts (beef lamb, pork, chicken), stuffed capsicums/tomatoes/ mushrooms/ sweet potato, mexican mince, vegetarian ricotta back with no pasta (pumpkin sheets instead), rissoles, tomato meatballs, omlettes and home made pizza. Sometimes I have a salad for dinner with poached chicken or left over roast and various dressings (mustard, lemon, tahini etc).

Every now and then it's dinner out.

I find if I alternate between them all, I never get tired of them!
  • stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Two of my favorites are tuna melts and sweet and spicy salmon.

Tuna melt

1 5 oz can tuna
    1.5 tbs light mayo
    2 tbs reduced fat shredded cheddar cheese
    1 light english muffin

Preheat the oven to 350. Split the muffin in half and toast while oven preheats. Drain the tuna and stir in mayo along with salt and pepper to taste. Place half of tuna mixture on each muffin half. Sprinkle with 1 tbs cheese each and bake about 10 minutes. Comes out to roughly 330 calories for the whole thing with the muffins and cheese I use.

Sweet and spicy salmon

1 salmon filet
    2 pineapple rings
    .5 tbs teriyaki sauce
    .5 tbs thai sweet chili sauce
    dash of red pepper

Preheat oven to 350. Mix the teriyaki, chili sauce, and red pepper. Make a foil pack and place sauce and pineapple on the salmon. Seal and bake for 20 minutes. Serve over brown rice with steamed broccoli. Can be easily doubled, tripled, etc.
  • Here are quick and simple healthy meals that I eat on a regular basis for dinner:

- Tilapia, baked red (or sweet) potato wedges, & green beans
    - Whole wheat pasta with a garlic tomato sauce
    - Stir fry: shrimp, brown rice, green/red/yellow bell peppers, & onion with a side of corn
    - Garden salad and a grilled chicken sandwich on wheat
    - Breakfast for dinner: scrambled (whole) eggs, turkey bacon, and pecan pancakes
    - Crockpot roast: Beef cubes (97% lean) or roast beef, carrots, onion, potato, and fresh herbs with a side of mushroom soup
    - Baked ham, peas, carrots, and mashed potatoes (made with skim milk, margerine, and REAL potatoes, not instant)
    - Steak (98% lean), teryaki shrimp, with a stir fry of broccoli, zucchini, and squash

All of the ingredients, side dishes, meat choices, etc. can all be swapped for something you would rather eat if you don't like it. Eating healthy can be fun and delish! You just have to get creative about it.
  • wildrosekasey
    wildrosekasey Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    rubybelle - my other half is no carb (which i absolutely cannot do) and so thats thrown us into a rut of just meat and veggies.
    but im gonna lose it lol.. so im gonna start cooking other stuff and we will see how it works out =)
  • Melany502
    Melany502 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I make so many things from skinnytaste.com. My favs are

Chicken Taco Chili
    Lasagna Roll Ups
    Lighter Mac and Cheese
    Chicken Rolatini
    Enchiladas

Also if you get low carb tortillas and chicken tenders, peppers and onions you can make low cal fajitas
  • mm3898
    mm3898 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I have a nice go-to dinner:

Ingredients:
    1 bag of romaine lettuce
    Cheese tortellini
    Light or Fat-Free Ceasar dressing
    Light Croutons
    Grated Parmesan cheese

Boil the tortellini according to the package. Mix 2 Tbsp of the dressing with 3 cups of salad salad and a hefty shake of the cheese. Put about 10 tortellini on top with a couple croutons and there you have it! According to this site, it is about 310 calories, 38 g carbs, 13 g protein, and 11 g fat. Not THE healthiest thing in the world but it is a nice take on the Caesar salad. Portion control is key with this because it can be easy to eat a ton of the tortellini, so I recommend making this when you have a friend coming over so you have someone to split them with. Enjoy!