Bottom of Stomach Really fat, what exercises should I do?

Options
Had a baby around 2 years ago, I have lost 67lbs *gained a little back in the last couple months because stopped smoking.* I weighed 250 when I got pregnant so was already very obese, as my daughter grew in my belly she literally pushed all the fat to the bottom of my stomach. Now a lot of fat is at the bottom of my stomach and hangs there. It isn't just loose skin, it is fat. Wondering what kind of exercises I can do to prevent it from turning to loose skin that I can do nothing about except surgery. Already had a c-section and was the worst recovery ever! Don't want to have another surgery if I can help it. I'm hoping where I am young my skin can bounce back, but then I'm thinking Ive always been overweight so maybe my skin has been stretched for too long! Any advice? Success stories ?

Replies

• AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Had a baby around 2 years ago, I have lost 67lbs *gained a little back in the last couple months because stopped smoking.* I weighed 250 when I got pregnant so was already very obese, as my daughter grew in my belly she literally pushed all the fat to the bottom of my stomach. Now a lot of fat is at the bottom of my stomach and hangs there. It isn't just loose skin, it is fat. Wondering what kind of exercises I can do to prevent it from turning to loose skin that I can do nothing about except surgery. Already had a c-section and was the worst recovery ever! Don't want to have another surgery if I can help it. I'm hoping where I am young my skin can bounce back, but then I'm thinking Ive always been overweight so maybe my skin has been stretched for too long! Any advice? Success stories ?

Abs and a body starts in the kitchen. Moderation and portion control is the key. The food pyramid is the way to go. I don't know what kind of cardio workout you are doing or even ab toning workout you are doing, but if you like, you can incorporate Tae Bo Insane Abs into your routine. You can preview the workout on Collagevideo.com. Your local library might have the workout. You can find the workout at Walmart, Target, etc.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as spot reduction of a body part with exercise. Consistent calorie deficit along with a good exercise program is always the answer.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    What ninerbuff said plus keep the skin moisturized daily. I've heard this helps keep it healthy allowing the greatest chance for it to tighten up. Good luck with it!
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    What ninerbuff said, anyone who gives advice on spot reduction doesn't know the first thing about exercise and weight loss.

That's just where your body keeps it at this stage, just keep on with your weight loss goals, I'm afraid you're just going to have to do your best to lose the weight, take care of your skin, and see whether you need help in the end or not.
    Since you're young and aware of the issue, the forcast is good
  • smiverz
    smiverz Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    i would recommend bent leg raises as well. ( first post¬¬!!! hi everyone! )
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    What ninerbuff said, anyone who gives advice on spot reduction doesn't know the first thing about exercise and weight loss.

That's just where your body keeps it at this stage, just keep on with your weight loss goals, I'm afraid you're just going to have to do your best to lose the weight, take care of your skin, and see whether you need help in the end or not.

Who gave advice on spot reduction?
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

I think the comment was preemptive. Although later on, someone did.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as spot reduction of a body part with exercise. Consistent calorie deficit along with a good exercise program is always the answer.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Ditto!

Keep on top of the calories and keep up a good exercise regime. Lean muscle will eventually eat the fat!

Best of luck!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Go for exercises that work your entire core rather than just sit-ups or crunches. Dance type exercises are great for this as are several calesthenics. The exercise will burn calories and by toning your core muscles you'll naturally hold yourself more erect which will lessen the "sag" of your tummy in the front so it will appear flatter.
  • dmouse0225
    Options
    I tend to store the most fat in my lower stomach as well. As others mentioned above, it doesn't sound like there is anything you can do to target that area, BUT I have noticed that as the weight comes off, it gets better. So my best advice from experience is, give it time. Even if that is the last place we lose the weight from, it will get smaller (probably once there is no more weight to lose from everywhere else!! :) )

Good luck!!
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    This is the last place I am losing fat also. Many women store fat here, and in hips and thighs.

I am older then you at 47, and had a C section 21 years ago.

But lower belly IS getting MUCH better. But it all comes back to losing the excess weight. Exercise certainly helps to tighten the abs and core, but you need to loss the excess fat, to see the results of the tightened muscle.

Some exercises listed here:

http://www.divine.ca/en/fitness-and-nutrition/exercise-finder/c_266/

But as noted above, you need to address the entire body as well.

My skin is slowly tightening up. Potions, creams lotions, really don't do a whole lot.
  • BumInTheSun73
    BumInTheSun73 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. This damn belly that just hangs there! I have noticed that most of my fat loss has come from this area. I am happy to be getting rid of the hanging sack, but what happens is that although I've lost almost 30 pounds, I haven't gone down in pant size! But my pants have gotten longer and now drag the ground LOL

Just keep up with the fat loss and it will eventually come off from there. As others have said you can't pick where your body loses the fat from. :flowerforyou:
  • gorgeouss9
    Options
    try Pilates and Yoga
  • leslejef05
    Options
    I had a baby 2 years ago also and I know what you mean about the lower stomach. I too have lost alot of weight, but cannot get this lose skin to go away. I completely cut out diet drinks because they tend to bloat me and I just feel worse. I drink alot of water and exercise. I walk daily with Leslie Sanesone dvds. I do alot of crunches too. It may never go away, but it has tightened up some. Good luck to you.
  • amymt10
    amymt10 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I've had 2 csections and have a little bit of a pouch in my lower stomach too. I have lost all my baby weight and I am in my pre-baby clothes but the pouch is still there no matter what. I am going to keep doing my cardio and core exercises. I do need to get better at watching the fatty foods and quit soda. My belly pouch wasnt too bad after the first csection but the 2nd one made it worse!! other than another surgery I really dont think its going to completely go away. That was the worst pain of my life, not sure I want an insicion like that again!!
  • Had a baby around 2 years ago, I have lost 67lbs *gained a little back in the last couple months because stopped smoking.* I weighed 250 when I got pregnant so was already very obese, as my daughter grew in my belly she literally pushed all the fat to the bottom of my stomach. Now a lot of fat is at the bottom of my stomach and hangs there. It isn't just loose skin, it is fat. Wondering what kind of exercises I can do to prevent it from turning to loose skin that I can do nothing about except surgery. Already had a c-section and was the worst recovery ever! Don't want to have another surgery if I can help it. I'm hoping where I am young my skin can bounce back, but then I'm thinking Ive always been overweight so maybe my skin has been stretched for too long! Any advice? Success stories ?

Abs and a body starts in the kitchen. Moderation and portion control is the key. The food pyramid is the way to go. I don't know what kind of cardio workout you are doing or even ab toning workout you are doing, but if you like, you can incorporate Tae Bo Insane Abs into your routine. You can preview the workout on Collagevideo.com. Your local library might have the workout. You can find the workout at Walmart, Target, etc.

Actually, there is no longer a food pyramid! The USDA booted that old construction and came up with a different one: a food "plate".

http://www.choosemyplate.gov/
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options

Why have been such a messy maker lately? Are you not feeling well? Maybe you need to incorporate more rest days ono your week.
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    I had a c-section too. At the time I was 342 lbs. I have been heavy since I was about 10. I have gotten down to just under 200 so far, and because I have taken it slow, the skin has adjusted a lot. I do a lot of cardio and keep myself and my skin hydrated and take a vitamin E supplement. The belly "flap" that I had is almost gone now and I still have a *little* dimply skin there, it is going away. It just takes time and determination!
  • 4hotmama
    4hotmama Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    uggh- I have had four c-sections and also was insulin resistant, I have smaller legs but collect most of my fat in my belly. I have lost a total of 61 lbs, my belly HAS gotten smaller, but still hangs, I really doubt that it will ever be prebaby, but I will take what I can get:) I heard to watch carb intake, cuz that is where it collects most-heard that from Dr. Oz.
    I am still working on this issue.
  • ❤B☩❤
    Options
    I have the same problem. Some people call it the 'apron', while I call it 'MY THIRD BOOB"!

I am still trying to get rid of that pooch since having my son. My problem is that my baby is 19 years old....*sigh!*