Protein?

Options
I am planning on getting some Whey Protein since I am NOT getting enough protein in my diet and I am lifting weights and going to start going to the gym to lift weights? Is Whey Protein right for me? and should i take is before or after workout?

Replies

• Eazy43055
    Options
    I am planning on getting some Whey Protein since I am NOT getting enough protein in my diet and I am lifting weights and going to start going to the gym to lift weights? Is Whey Protein right for me? and should i take is before or after workout?
  • mickie
    mickie Posts: 183
    Options
    Yes, definitely whey protein AFTER a workout! I make a smoothie with 1 scoop chocolate whey protein powder, 1 cup ice, 1 cup skim milk and blend in blender:drinker: . Yummy, AND good for you!!!
  • Eazy43055
    Options
    How about soy milk, since that is what I have substituted milk with...
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    How about soy milk, since that is what I have substituted with milk...
    soy...oh dont get me going on soy...not for me that soy....
    whey is way better
    in my not humble at all opinion:smile:
  • Eazy43055
    Options
    I LOVE soy milk!
  • mgullette
    mgullette Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I used to blend my shakes with milk but I wasn't happy about the added calories (and milk has quite a bit of sugar as well). I found a way to make the shakes taste good when blended with water if you're trying to up the protein but keep the calories lower.

My recipe is easy and simple.

2 Scoops whey powder (I use Body Fortress Chocolate)
    6 ice cubes
    4 oz water

Blend in blender until slushy-like.

It tastes really rich and you don't even miss the milk. I don't recommend just stirring or shaking with water and pouring over ice though...bleck!

M
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    I LOVE soy milk!

I dont want to start another soy war but for males, soy is questionable because of the phytoestrogens....it isnt conclusive as to soy benefits, etc
    but men do not need estrogen at all, so I, personally avoid it
  • mgullette
    Options
    I LOVE soy milk!

I dont want to start another soy war but for males, soy is questionable because of the phytoestrogens....it isnt conclusive as to soy benefits, etc
    but men do not need estrogen at all, so I, personally avoid it

Soy does have high levels of estrogen. Perhaps this contributes to many vegan men who are unable to build up muscle...just a thought.
  • Eazy43055
    Options
    Okay will protein make me gain weight? Or will it make muscle mass after I lift.. I bench 120 or so as many times as i can... curl dumbbells.. dead lift the same barbell.. also curl that barbell. as well as situps and curls with the big barbell... Anyone know any barbell,dumbbell workouts? I have 2 dumbbells and one barbell that's 120! I am trying to make it to 210, right now today I weighed in at 259.3.. I want to do this because my knees are starting to hurt and I KNOW its because of weight. I am not ALL fat says the kids that are 'fatter' then me and weight less. But I deff! am a fatty! haha.. Just need help, just a young confused dude!
  • LeeAnn11
    Options
    Can these protein shakes be a meal substitute (ie. breaky and/or lunch)??
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    Okay will protein make me gain weight? Or will it make muscle mass after I lift.. I bench 120 or so as many times as i can... curl dumbbells.. dead lift the same barbell.. also curl that barbell. as well as situps and curls with the big barbell... Anyone know any barbell,dumbbell workouts? I have 2 dumbbells and one barbell that's 120! I am trying to make it to 210, right now today I weighed in at 259.3.. I want to do this because my knees are starting to hurt and I KNOW its because of weight. I am not ALL fat says the kids that are 'fatter' then me and weight less. But I deff! am a fatty! haha.. Just need help, just a young confused dude!

check out exrx.net....tons of great dumbell and barbell things to try
    go easy...I overdid some military presses and my shoulder is wacked for awhile
    go easy
  • Eazy43055
    Options

check out exrx.net....tons of great dumbell and barbell things to try
    go easy...I overdid some military presses and my shoulder is wacked for awhile
    go easy

Nice site, I checked it out, I like the burpee! That's new to me I bet it will burn some FAT!
  • mgullette
    Options

Protein from whey doesn't have more calories than protein from meat...if you overdo anything, it'll make you gain weight. I think whey is one of the best ways to make sure you're getting enough protein, because it doesn't have a lot of fat and is pretty near pure protein.

Natural protein often keeps bad company like high saturated fats and carbohydrates. To get enough protein from these sources alone and stay under your daily calories can be difficult. Possible, but difficult. I find I just can't eat that much chicken or turkey breast, fish, or tuna to get me to my protein limit.

As far as the weights go, I'd take it easy. It's better to have a consistent strength-training routine than to just do a few moves with the same weight all the time. Find a program and stick to it. You'll be more successful that way.

M
  • mgullette
    Options
    Can these protein shakes be a meal substitute (ie. breaky and/or lunch)??

LeeAnn,

What do you consider a meal? Do you eat 3 times a day or 5-6? I take these shakes as a meal but I also eat 5-6 small meals per day. This one weighs in at 270 calories per shake. You might want to pair the shake with a small portion of carbohydrates like oatmeal or whole grain cereal if you are considering making it a full meal. Just my thoughts..

M
  • LeeAnn11
    Options
    M,

I do eat probably 3-4 small meals throughout the day...I'll have a shake at 9am then a snack at 11am then another shake at 1pm. From there I will have another snack at 3pm then a "dinner" after that. Sometimes a snack consists of a banana or 100 cal popcorn...

Thanks,
    LeeAnn
  • mgullette
    Options
    M,

I do eat probably 3-4 small meals throughout the day...I'll have a shake at 9am then a snack at 11am then another shake at 1pm. From there I will have another snack at 3pm then a "dinner" after that. Sometimes a snack consists of a banana or 100 cal popcorn...

Thanks,
    LeeAnn

I'd say it's safe to make one of these shakes a meal then...honestly, I am a big advocate of trying to get all your nutrients from whole, fresh, foods, but sometimes it's just difficult and I can't eat that much. Make sure you're eating enough too. I don't know if your plan sounds like enough food for me. Also, I choose not to use milk in my shakes because of the sugar and calorie content, plus milk blended with my protein had a tendency to make me feel really bloated. I don't know if this is everyone's experience though.
  • mickie
    mickie Posts: 183
    Options
    You shouldn't use the protein shake as a "meal" substitute. I eat 3 healthy "meals" plus 2-3 snacks per day. I consider my protein shake a snack (adding skim milk makes it taste better and is a good source of calcium). As with anything too many calories will make you gain weight, including protein shakes. It sounds to me like you are substituting your shakes for meals. Not a good idea. Really, that's just setting you up for failure in the future. You can't drink 3 protein shakes every day for the rest of your life. You need to add in some eggs, chicken, fish, whole grains, fruit, veggies, etc... for a rounded, well-balanced, healthy body. I've been looking at the website bodybuilding.com. Good website for weight training info. good luck.