Hey everyone! I'm new to MFP and get the munchies!

Options
Anyone have tips they can give me as far as great low cal snacks? I get the munchies quite often and I think that is where my problem lies! Words of encouragement are welcome too! Can't wait to see what the new year brings! -Kim

Replies

• AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Anyone have tips they can give me as far as great low cal snacks? I get the munchies quite often and I think that is where my problem lies! Words of encouragement are welcome too! Can't wait to see what the new year brings! -Kim

You can do this. Believe in yourself. Take control over your munchies. Sometimes munchies visits, when the person is bored. Eat fruits. Buy 90 to 100 calories stuff and don't be afraid to eat the food.
  • lynzobp
    lynzobp Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Sometimes wen i get the munchies i brush my teeth ur still using ur hands n mouth and then nothin taste good for a little bit lol i try
  • RobinLoren
    Options
    I usually eat fruits and veggies as snacks. You can also get snack bags of popcorn that are portioned well for a snack. If you crave something chocolate, I usually have a vitatop which is a low calorie muffin top that has vitamins and fiber. http://www.vitalicious.com/ They have a lot of different items but I enjoy the chocolate ones the best. Whatever you eat, make sure you log it so you know how much you are actually eating. Having snacks isn't bad as long as you track them and do not overdo it!
  • rh009
    rh009 Posts: 14
    Options
    make sure that you're getting enough protein throughout the day, this will help a lot. As well as drinking a lot of water, this will help keep you fuller. Also, if you are hungry, try drinking some water and see if it satisfies your hunger cravings, quite often the mind confuses hunger signals with thirst.

for healthy munchy snacks, just keep the portion size in mind of what you do eat. try and stick to some fruits and vegetables, snacking on things like grapes or clementines or carrot sticks, but if that doesnt satisfy you, what i've done is apples and peanut butter -- but take the peanut butter out of the jar onto a plate so you control how much you eat, don't eat it out of the jar! or eating a bit of dry cereal, a kind that isnt too junky, like "life". or have a few almonds or brazil nuts.
  • Joshmesa
    Options
    If you like popcorn get a popper. I bought one when I started usuing MFP and I can make 1/2 cup of unpopped kernals with 3 tbsp oil and it makes a huge amount of popcorn and it is only 140 calories. If you have a bit of sweet tooth, I have found the Vanilla Creme Brulee Quacker rice snacks to be very good. I've always heard horror stories about rice cakes but was looking for something low calorie to snack on and was surprised at how good they actually are. Of course my good old stand by is apples.
  • slyinsd
    Options
    If you are getting the muchies, you are not on a good nutrition plan. I recommend eating six times a day 2.5 hours apart which will get rid of the munchies all together. Each time you eat, eat a protein, carb and a little fat. If you set up your nutrition plan right, you will eat more food than you do now and you will be full most of the time and not crave munchies. If you need someone to create a nutrition plan for you, email Doron Sears at doronsears@gmail.com . He is a Certified Nutritionist. Good luck. Steve
  • gregavila
    gregavila Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I was also going to suggest that the OP look at the amount of proteins they are eating. Protein tends to help you feel full longer, which can help curb the need for munching. If you still have the need, finding something healthy to much on is good (fruit, veggies, small portion of nuts).
  • cheeksv
    cheeksv Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I used to have the same problem. I portioned out veggies into ziplocks and fruits sometimes too. Traveled well and if they are ready to go you will be less tempted to prep something not as good for you. They are healthy too :) I would feel better going over calories with carrot sticks than say a bag of chips.
  • RainbootsToBikinis
    RainbootsToBikinis Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I'm a restless eater, I get bored, I like to fidget and often times that leads to mindless snacking.

I've started snacking on sunflower seeds (they take a while to eat, and are good for you) as well as baby carrots, sugar snap peas, dried apples and bananas, and popcorn or kettle korn.