Slendertone

Options
Ok, so I thought I would try this device, alot of peeps that I work with here have it and they believe in it. It's the slendertone for your abs. It's a electrical muscle stimulator. Engages the nerves around the muscles causing deep, strengthening contractions to work the muscles resulting in firmer, stronger, toned muscles. Just curious if this has worked for anyone. I know the gym is the best answer but unfortunately I am unable to do sit-ups because of an accident a few years back to include running as well. So I am limited on what I can do.
I tried it yesterday and it felt good, but I thought my abs would be a little soar. Nope not a bit. Just curious of anyone's thoughts on this device.

Replies

• dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Junk in my opinion.

The only way to work muscles is by using resistance... and this machine has none.

There are also more exercises you can do for abs besides sit ups.. like planks, hanging knee rasies, reverse crunches, crunches on a medicine ball.. Google ab exercises, and you'll get a ton.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    We've had electricity for some time. I think if those types of devices actually worked, we'd know about it. If you're able to get your money back, you should. I hope someone can recommend you abdominal exercises you can do that won't bother your back.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I got one at a yard sale. It was a dollar and I couldn't resist it... It's great for parties. Strap it on someone unsuspecting and set it on high. They'll be all like "Don't taze me bro!" lots of fun...

Other than that, I don't know what its good for.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    It's another classic BS scam--another case of taking a technology/product designed for a specific use (i.e. rehab) and trying to market it for a purpose it is not intended.

The level of electrical stimulation is not enough to generate a sufficiently strong contraction in the muscles to increase strength or "toning". The amount of electrical force necessary to achieve such results would kill you.

That's pretty much all you need to know.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    PS: focused ab work in general, particularly crunches, is not all that useful to begin with.

"Working the abs" doesn't make that area any smaller, and it doesn't really do that much for core strength either.
  • kattydid65
    kattydid65 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your comments. All of you are absolutely right. Worthless. But hey, sometimes you gotta try it out and satisfy your mind. Next time we have a party, I think we can use it as a joke on someone. LOL! Good idea... I googled Ab exercises, wow! tons of them. Many, many thanks!