Marathon in 15 Weeks?

Options
I started running in March last year... In September I did my first half marathon... In the middle of October, I did my second... Due to a mixture of illness, a demanding relationship which tired me out, work and other things, I wasn't really able to get to the gym or to run since late October (literally, I was out 6 days out of 7 and didn't even have time to sit down and eat)...

One of my new year's resolutions is to not take on too much, but there's another issue... I have a place in the Brighton Marathon and it's 15 weeks away... :ohwell:

I wasn't going to do it, as I felt I wouldn't have the time or energy to train, but bumping in to two fellow runners, they said it can be possible in 15 weeks to at least be able to cross the finish line...

I'm actually considering going for it... I have no issue walking long distances, I can run (and walk bits) of 6K... But am I punching above my weight in aiming for one in 15 weeks? Maybe I should book one later in the year?

Replies

• FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Most marathon plans are 16-20 weeks. You could probably just about get enough training in to complete it if you dont mind a slow finish.

If i were you, i would start training anyway and then if i cant make it, try and sell the place a couple of weeks before. A few weeks before you should have a feel for whether you can or cant make it
  • sidhe31
    Options
    If you are aiming to finish the marathon, then you should be ok with 15 weeks, just don't over reach and try for a specific time. Walk/run will get you there for sure. Nothing to lose by doing the training, as the previous poster said, if you are a few weeks out and don't think you can make it, you can likely sell the spot.
    Good luck.
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I agree with what the others are saying here. There are certainly 16 week marathon training programs out there, so you're just shy of that... I guess it depends what your goals are for completing the marathon. If it's just to move your body 26.2 miles, then go for it; if there's something more than that, maybe find another race that's a little further down the road. It's completely up to you what you want out of the experience - there's no wrong answer!

I'm 9 days away from my first marathon - my initial goal was to finish it with a (figurative) smile on my face, happy that I did it. For me, that meant investing in some realy training so that I didn't just scrape by (but that's just my personal choice). As my training has progressed, what with all the data from my training runs, etc., I'm now somewhat fixated on time goals. But I'm trying to stop myself from getting *too* fixated - I'm hoping to be happy to finish it and feel like I did the best I could that day.

Best of luck to you, whatever you decide is right for you! :flowerforyou: