SO is being a butt.

Options
So I am a bit frustrated with my significant other. I have been trying to become more fit since this past July. I did lose some weight (about 10 pounds) in the beginning by doing cardio exercise and staying on a 1300 calorie diet. Then for the past month or so, I've been trying to build some strength so I've been eating quite a bit (2000-2200 calories/day) and doing a lot of strength training. While my weight has not decreased by much, I have lost inches.

I guess the frustrating part is that my boyfriend keeps bothering me about how much I'm eating. I eat about 2000-2300 calories per day (which is really pretty good when you're 5'10" and doing a strength training regime). We're about the same height and he only weighs about 10 pounds more than I do... but he also is very, very sedentary. He sits all day at work and then comes home and sits all night in front of the television. I'm annoyed that he keeps bothering me about how much I am eating. I prepare my food the day before so I can take it with me to work and then I bust my butt at the gym... and then I make us both dinner. I have seen results from my diet and exercise regime (both in weight lost and in inches lost). Why is he harping about my weight and how much I'm eating? He seems to just focus on my weight number rather than the fat I have burned and the inches I have lost weight lifting. I have a normal BMI and I'm working on becoming healthier.

Does anyone have any advice for getting him out of this unsupportive slump? At first I thought maybe he felt left out because I have been focusing so much on diet and fitness lately, but I've tried to include him and he's just not interested.

Replies

• Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    First, he doesn't need to know your calorie count or your numbers on the scale. If he's not supportive, don't share them. Second, sit him down and tell him that he needs to STOP making comments on anything. It hurts your feelings that he's not supportive (you could ask him why here but you don't even have to, this isn't your problem) and if he doesn't have anything nice to say, he says nothing at all.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    If he's not interested, then he's not interested. You could talk to him till you're blue in the face, but it prob. won't do much.

He may also be worried that now that you've lost the weight/inches, and have this hot lil body that you may leave him for someone more attractive, etc etc.

I'd personally tell him every time he says something that it is none of his business and that if he has nothing positive to say, then he can either shut his yap or leave.
  • mcbastable
    mcbastable Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Honestly it could be anything: It is possible that he disagrees with your method or that he feels like he is being left out of your life. Maybe he is worried that you are not going to want to be with him any more with your new found sense of confidence and well being. Or maybe he is just tired of hearing about it- I know how easy it is to talk about fitness 24/7! No matter what, it would probably be a good idea just to ask for his thoughts. A supportive SO can be a huge motivating factor, so let him know how important he is to the whole process.